Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of Culture???

Lack of Culture???

Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:15 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lack of Culture???

Originally Posted by zerohero
British culture created literature like Shakespeare,Harry Potter,Lord Of The Rings,Peter Pan,Alice In Wonderland,Frankenstein,Dracula,Sherlock Holmes,HG Wells classics,Roald Dahl classics,Charles Dickens classics and countless others which had a worldwide influence.It created different popular music -The Beatles,Rolling Stones,Pink Floyd- psychadelia,glam rock,heavy metal,punk rock,goth music,the fusion of ska and rock etc-these were all British.British culture gave the world street fashions and styles-mods,tudors,punks,goths,new romantics,skinheads(the proper ones)etc.There is a distinct British sense of humour.I could go on for ever about British culture.

For a while Australian culture was seen as an offshhot from Britain.Now Australia has its own sense of humour and the outdoor lifestyle and fusion of Aboriginal and immigrant culture will(is?) create a richer culture in time.
I do wonder why some Brits bother emigrating.If I loved outdoor sports,swimming,surfing,barbies and was desperate for more space then Australia sure beats Britain.Both countries have their good and bad qualities -just don't emigrate and still expect the same things you left behind.
thats bloody joke ,i have never heard a white australian say anything good about aboriginal culture in all the 16 years ive been here ,how the hell they are supposed to infuse something that doesnt exist [white aussie culture ,whoops the beach]and something that is thought to be 100000 years old .
Sounds like to me the aboriginals will be losing again ,but then i think they have already aquainted them selves with heaps of aussie culture ie beer ,flaggons ,materialism,money grabbing,hanging about in shopping centres.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wardy2
Thanks for the replys I did wonder if it had anything to do with historical buildings and such like. To be honest I'm not sure I would miss that {probably take it for granted right now} Where I live we are surrounded by lots of historical things.

Quite looking forward to sitting on beach and doing nothing although I can see how that may get boring after ....10 years.

Kaye
Boring sitting on the beach after 10years? Try 10 weeks. I live in Qld, if I lived in Brisbane maybe be it woud be different but bored witless yes I am. There are many things you don't realise you have until it's gone ,however alot will have to do with work, where you live, whether you have children or not and how they fit in schools etc. I don't like country Australia and there is no culture, that doesn't mean there isn't any culture in other parts of Australia.Good Luck with your big move and I hope that Brisbane is the place for you
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
If you like milton keynes you will love australia as all the cities and suburbs are just as faceless
Speak for yourself, I certainly dont find Bunbury faceless, nor Perth CBD for that matter.

The upshot is if you absolutely must be surrounded by old churches, quaint cottages and twisty turny little narrow roads then dont bother coming.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:47 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

If you like milton keynes you will love australia as all the cities and suburbs are just as faceless ,i reckon milton keynes is a dump and anywhere that has or had plastic cows is showing how artificial it is .
Well I can assure you that where we live has character, history and charm. Granted we're not in 'The Suburbs' ( :scared: ) but your comments are so sweeping and general - think before you write.

As for your comments on cows being a problem, many cities around the UK have had cows in their centres as part of some kind of art thing, Manchester included (where we used to live). So are you saying Manchester has no history or culture because it had some stupid cows in the town centre???

At the end of the day, as others have said, if you move to a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere up in FNQ or wherever, and expect all the comforts/conveniences/shops/ of the UK then you're kidding yourself but personally I find the history of Australia fascinating and far more interesting and relevant because it is so recent. I met someone the other day who had the original plans the plot of land her house is built on - '15 paces north of so and so, 35 paces east of wherever' - I find that incredibly interesting to be honest!

Graham
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree Graham, sent you some k
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Well I can assure you that where we live has character, history and charm. Granted we're not in 'The Suburbs' ( :scared: ) but your comments are so sweeping and general - think before you write.

As for your comments on cows being a problem, many cities around the UK have had cows in their centres as part of some kind of art thing, Manchester included (where we used to live). So are you saying Manchester has no history or culture because it had some stupid cows in the town centre???

At the end of the day, as others have said, if you move to a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere up in FNQ or wherever, and expect all the comforts/conveniences/shops/ of the UK then you're kidding yourself but personally I find the history of Australia fascinating and far more interesting and relevant because it is so recent. I met someone the other day who had the original plans the plot of land her house is built on - '15 paces north of so and so, 35 paces east of wherever' - I find that incredibly interesting to be honest!

Graham
Excellent post Northerner. You are fighting a losing battle with assenach though I am afraid, his hatred of Australia is ingrained.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Speak for yourself, I certainly dont find Bunbury faceless, nor Perth CBD for that matter.

The upshot is if you absolutely must be surrounded by old churches, quaint cottages and twisty turny little narrow roads then dont bother coming.
I'm surrounded by twisty tree-lined lanes, cottages and a church at the end here in melbourne.

Reference Northerner's comment on the 'plot plans' - sometimes I find the more recent history - as in last 50-100 years more interesting as I can directly relate it to us, our house and our village. It helps there is a sense of community here.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm surrounded by twisty tree-lined lanes, cottages and a church at the end here in melbourne.
There you go, I take it back then

Something for everybody in Oz
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Someone's demolished an old cottage in my lane and it has opened up the view across rolling pasture fields which makes my eye drop every time I drive past.

I took a picture of it but it doesn't look right on film. You need the perspective!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arkon
When we first got here and for the 1st year or so I too used to complain that the country had no culture. I now accept it does have a culture based on what you just said, their clothing style and sense, manners, food, housing style, work ethic, service standards all add up to a culture just not the kind of culture those of us that say there isn't any think of as culture.

For me I now think when I said it had a lack of culture I meant it didn't have any history worth anything, as a result there are not all the festivals, marches, shows, diversity of things to do, go and see, places to visit that are distinctly different from any other place. Melbourne is very different to Sydney, and both to Brisbane etc, but the vast distance of travel between the cities means to all intents and purposes where ever you settle you will quickly run out of diverse things to see and do.

Compare it to Europe where each country has very different styles and culture, marches, festivals, music, food etc. and it's easy to see why you initially think Australia has none.

I think Australia has a culture but mostly in the negative, not worth anything category. When people say Australia has no culture they most likely mean after a few months or a year at most there is insufficient to see and do and the place rapidly becomes one big retirement home with sod all different to do. (That’s what it means to me.)

Could not agree more
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:14 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

aussie culture ie beer ,flaggons ,materialism,money grabbing,hanging about in shopping centres.
For a moment there I thought you were talking about Birmingham again (or anywhere in the UK for that matter) ... at least when you return after your 16 years in oz you will not feel out of your depth but will be home from home ... but with the difference of being able to look at some nice old buildings ... I'm sure you will be very happy
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:16 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridie

exactly,but too many people conveniently forget this when they are in the uk and dont realise it is integral to their lives ,but cast all it
off thinking barbecues and beaches will fill the void ,well im sorry to say theres beachs in the uk and you can have barbecues .
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say and i find the uk a far more beautiful country and far more interesting than australia will ever be [my opinion ofcourse.].
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sel
For a moment there I thought you were talking about Birmingham again (or anywhere in the UK for that matter) ... at least when you return after your 16 years in oz you will not feel out of your depth but will be home from home ... but with the difference of being able to look at some nice old buildings ... I'm sure you will be very happy
I wont be in birmingham as i havent lived there for 25 years and not likely too ,but evenso it is a far more interesting place than any of the capital cities in aussie .
In regards to buildings birmingham has retained much of its old buildings and with it all the history that goes with them .
Believe me i dont feel out of my depth in aussie its about as shallow as it gets here and its hard not to be on top of the pile .After all the competition isnt much .
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are a decent person Badge, I wish I could be more sympathetic towards people. I agree that change is good and a lot of people come for change but to come from a large city where your life is full of family, friends, pubs, clubs, shops etc etc on your doorstep to a bland australian suburb that doesn't have those things, it's a recipe for disaster in my book.
This is so very true.Very well put sums me up nicely I think!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Have to say I've never found this, but then I've been here a very long time. Think this is the crux of the matter, you have to be here for more than a few years to be truely accepted. No different than if you go to live in some places in the UK, especially villages, you are looked upon as an outsider for a long time. In some places you're never accepted as a local no matter how long you are a resident. I realize that you have been in Australia for some years, but you have no doubt made your feelings about the country known and those would not have endeared you to the locals.
This is very true.Some villages in England are indeed like that. The people can be awful at excepting new people even if they are from the next village let alone another country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.