Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kwinana WA Anyone live around here whats it like?

Kwinana WA Anyone live around here whats it like?

Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:01 pm
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kwinana WA Anyone live around here whats it like?

if they go on www.reiwa.com.au,ljhooker.com.au,etc may find some cheap places
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:53 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Evelin
It is not as easy as you might think.

Each Shire in WA has a Town Planning Scheme, which says what house density is allowed in which area. Eg, R20 means only one (1) house is allowed on a block of land. If the area where you want to built two houses or more on one block it must have an R-rating of 40 (R40).

This can change, but you don't know if or when.

here you lcan ook up the R-rating of all subs in Perth.

http://www.wapc.wa.gov.au/Region+sch...hemes/529.aspx

If somebody thinks that what I say is wrong, pls clarify. The rating is also explained somewhere on the web, eg in regard to minimum land area for one unit/house etc.
we have looked at a few places that are rezoning to R40 on realestate, Thanks for the info.
We do not intend on living in Kwinana forever just the 1st few years.
We'd love to live in Booragoon or surrounding areas but its way out of our budget!

Kate and Lew
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

l5lmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paula223
didnt say it was little pomm land but wen i first arrived here 2and half yrs ago i found it a little easier having people from back home to guide us were to go and different things to look for rather than panic cos i was soooo far from home nothing to do with little pommie land
thanks
Hi

We arrived last week and hope to rent in Settlers. We have a 4 year old son and wondered whether there are many 'Brits' OR Aussies that have children of a similar age so we can contact you if we get accepted for a rental (fingers crossed). Also, does Settlers Primary have a kindy?

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Evelin
It is not as easy as you might think.

Each Shire in WA has a Town Planning Scheme, which says what house density is allowed in which area. Eg, R20 means only one (1) house is allowed on a block of land. If the area where you want to built two houses or more on one block it must have an R-rating of 40 (R40).

This can change, but you don't know if or when.

here you lcan ook up the R-rating of all subs in Perth.

http://www.wapc.wa.gov.au/Region+sch...hemes/529.aspx

If somebody thinks that what I say is wrong, pls clarify. The rating is also explained somewhere on the web, eg in regard to minimum land area for one unit/house etc.
As he only wants to demolish then re-biuld there will be no problem with getting approval. I have just been down the very same track in Rockingham.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

I grew up in Kwinana, nothing wrong with the place.
People who have never been there or lived there really have no idea what it is like there.
some of the suburbs have some beautiful parklands, and the drive down Medina avenue with the huge Fig trees lining the road is beautiful.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l5lmm
Hi

Also, does Settlers Primary have a kindy?

Thanks
Yes. I work in it
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Funny aintit.

The Township of Kwinana with it's four suburbs of Medina, Orelia, Callista and Permelia were built specifically for the POMS that were coming then. It was the first time in Perth's development that a town with suburbs was built specifically for migrants.

Sure, it's changed quite a bit since then as the migrants became citizens and some moved out and other folks moved in.

However your comment about "SOR ain't for us ... It's a POM thang" just goes to show how little you know of the southern towns and their development.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek

You're right,there is nothing wrong with the place,it was built to house the workers when they were building the strip,BP,KNR etc.

I worked on the strip for a good 8 yrs in the 80,s.Nothing wrong at all with all the blokes I worked with,most of them were tradesman working in all the various places,great social life with games of cricket,football OZ rules etc between the various work sites.

Eagles played on sat at noon then and a BBQ at a house to watch it was always the order of the day after work.

The area was new then (Warnbro,Safety Bay etc) and the houses looked good.

Spent many a good night at the Kwinana hotel,Rocky hotel and swinging pig.

As you say the residential area is a long way from the strip,unless they've built on the old drive in opposite KNR (BHP now).

Have not been down there for a while but I could never see nothing wrong with the area.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the *forgotten children* both Aboriginal and the ones stolen from the Barnados homes were settled at Kwinana once they'd been given their freedom.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

l5lmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunbather
Yes. I work in it

Excellent - what sort of costs are involved for full time on a Business Sponsored Visa - I'm assuming that we won't get education for free??

Thanks in advance ;o)
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:27 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lewandkate
Hi,
Hope some you nice people can help. We fly over 6weeks today
Have been looking at real estate in and around the Kwinana area. Can anyone tell me what the schools are like? which areas are nicer i.e Leda, Calista etc?

Thanks
Kate
weve just been working there on this brand new school..massive ,got the lot...

good luck..

ast