Kumon

Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Kumon

Originally Posted by katie5
Hi, new to this site, but Kumon caught my eye, as I have worked in 2 different Kumon centres.
From my experience the kids aren't taught but just given work sheet after work sheet, and it's up to the parents to do most of the work. Kids come in to have their work marked and that's about it.
They're not taught like in other tuition centres.
I'm not a teacher, have always been a mum, but I was bored and think lots of the kids were !!
It's actually the repetition that I like. When I was at school we worked from a textbook and did 30 questions tackling the same type of problem i.e you did it over and over again until it stuck. We learnt our multiplication tables by rote and it's stayed with me for the past 30 years! Both sons go to Kumon, I'm finding it hard work for me but my eldest is starting to show some improvement. Instead of working sums out is with his hands he has the answer straightaway and his confidence has improved. He's a bit of a 'space cadet' so this type of intense/timed work is great for him - when he is listening to someone teach you can see him go off into his own little world

I'm for any program that helps kids improve themselves.

Galba
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:19 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto Katie5, our experience was exactly the same. The Kumon sessions were more like examinations, kids had to work quietly and wait patiently for attention when they encountered a problem. The homework was boring and was endured rather than enjoyed by both us and the kids.

Our kids went on to do Kip McGrath and I would highly recommend that, the results were almost immediate whereas it look months and months for Kumon to have any effect.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 19th 2008 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

katie5 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my friends uses Kip McGrath and says it's a million times better than Kumon, there are loads in the UK and in Aus - becoming very popular.
Don't agree with the repetition thing after all we all know E= mc2, but do you understand it ??? Some maybe do, I can't remember so it's totally useless.
The point I'm making is if you don't teach kids to understand, they forget. Timed tables I agree are very important and perhaps the exception to the rule.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katie5
One of my friends uses Kip McGrath and says it's a million times better than Kumon, there are loads in the UK and in Aus - becoming very popular.
Don't agree with the repetition thing after all we all know E= mc2, but do you understand it ??? Some maybe do, I can't remember so it's totally useless.
The point I'm making is if you don't teach kids to understand, they forget. Timed tables I agree are very important and perhaps the exception to the rule.
E=mc2 is physics.

What rule? In Kumon if the kids don't understand they don't move on. We all need to know how to add, subtract, multiply, divide - surely the less we need to rely on a calculator the better.

As I said ANY program that helps a child is a step in the right direction. Children learn in many different ways. What's right for one might not be right for another. I'm glad your kids found the right program for them.

Galba
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:32 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by galba
E=mc2 is physics.
Actually it is an equation that is used in physics. So being an equation you can use it as an example in algebra class. You don't need to even understand what it is but you can use it to teach kids how to isolate a variable and solve the equation.

As a math teacher, I will say that the best way to learn is by practicing not by rote memorization. Although let's face it there are always a few things that need to be memorized.

I have no experience with either of these programs so can't comment on both. But, if I had to Kip McGrath looks better to me. Mostly because it "appears" to give more supervision and practicing. A lot of times students struggle but do so much better when you're beside them while they do the work (agreeing at each step they get right). I personally find the thing that's lacking most is the confidence. Once they get a little confidence they improve tremendously.

It doesn't really matter where they get the confidence from. Not all kids are the same so what works for one might not work for another. The real key is which of the programs is a better fit for you child.

Last edited by comet555; Jan 21st 2008 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:33 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

So this isn't a Lleyton Hewitt kicking thread?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:55 am
Just Joined

yvonnemommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi obiwan! I enrolled my daughter in beestar instead of Kumon. My friends recommend beestar to me. My daughter is 7-yr old. I think beestar is very professional in elementary education. There are many interesting math and reading exercises. My daughter loves them very much! I’m now considering register other exercises like science and talent math. Beestar is not bad. Hope it helps you.

Lisa
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:13 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

I am a high school Maths and Computing teacher and I believe that there are two crucial elements to learning and making progress; understanding and application. First kids need to understand what they are doing, secondly they need to be able to apply their newly knowledge to different problems.

My son was enrolled in the Kumon program for English and while he hated it with a passion he acknowledged that his confidence grew and his skills improved. The best thing about Kumon is that it gets kids into a good homework routine. My boy is in year 7 and will be coming to my highly academic private school next year. He gets maths homework from his primary school 4 days week as well as English 1 day a week from me and the first thing he does everyday when he gets home, even if I am not there, is his homework. He doesn't complain or sulk anymore he just accepts it as part of his daily routine and does it with a positive attitude.

If you are going to do Kumon be prepared to do marking everyday including holidays and be aware that the booklets are cheap and fall apart very easily.

6 months ago a friend of ours enrolled her daughter in Kip Magrath program as she was appalled by the standard of work and lack of homework at her high school. She has just cancelled her enrolment; she wasn't impressed with the program claiming that most of the work was based on computer programs and very boring. She is now trying to get her daughter into my school for Yrs 11 and 12.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yvonnemommy
Hi obiwan! I enrolled my daughter in beestar instead of Kumon. My friends recommend beestar to me. My daughter is 7-yr old. I think beestar is very professional in elementary education. There are many interesting math and reading exercises. My daughter loves them very much! I’m now considering register other exercises like science and talent math. Beestar is not bad. Hope it helps you.

Lisa
thanks yvonne, would you have their website? cant seem to find it in my searches...cheers
Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ACE
I am a high school Maths and Computing teacher and I believe that there are two crucial elements to learning and making progress; understanding and application. First kids need to understand what they are doing, secondly they need to be able to apply their newly knowledge to different problems.

My son was enrolled in the Kumon program for English and while he hated it with a passion he acknowledged that his confidence grew and his skills improved. The best thing about Kumon is that it gets kids into a good homework routine. My boy is in year 7 and will be coming to my highly academic private school next year. He gets maths homework from his primary school 4 days week as well as English 1 day a week from me and the first thing he does everyday when he gets home, even if I am not there, is his homework. He doesn't complain or sulk anymore he just accepts it as part of his daily routine and does it with a positive attitude.

If you are going to do Kumon be prepared to do marking everyday including holidays and be aware that the booklets are cheap and fall apart very easily.

6 months ago a friend of ours enrolled her daughter in Kip Magrath program as she was appalled by the standard of work and lack of homework at her high school. She has just cancelled her enrolment; she wasn't impressed with the program claiming that most of the work was based on computer programs and very boring. She is now trying to get her daughter into my school for Yrs 11 and 12.
thanks ACE, do you think it was kumon that made your son not sulk about doing homework? or was he just naturally that way? (lucky you).

we have 2 kids at the moment and so far kumon is $100 per child/month....so its like $2400/year.....right now we are debating on whether the cost would be worth it or if we should try some of the other more affordable online supplement math drills mentioned previously
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

I have two girls who are doing maths and english kumon, so it is costing us $400 a month. Which to us is a lot of money. They both have struggled at school and were falling behind, Kumon is bringing them up to a reasonable standard and they are becoming so much more confident at school. We now consider going to Kumon an essential and because it is costing us so much we do take it very seriously.

I would say also that the Kumon teacher that they have is excellent, and is just as keen that her weaker students do well.

In our case it has worked and been brilliant for my kids.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 4:18 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan
thanks ACE, do you think it was kumon that made your son not sulk about doing homework?

Hi OB,
Yes definitely. He used to be a nightmare when it came to any sort of academic work. Now he can see the value of homework and practicing his skills.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
My kids are enrolled in Mathletics (www.mathletics.com) which was recommended to me by the maths dept at our school. When we moved over here, I felt that the curriculum was a bit of a gamble - but Mathlectics (you need to go on the website to see what I mean) allows you to follow, I think, 3 major countries' courses at any year level - so you can kind of keep tabs on what your child is studying at school.

The only disadvantage(!) is that to get the best out of you do need to sit with your child. We spend about 40 minutes a week on it. $100 for a one year subscription.
They all have free accounts for Mathletics at my son's school.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
They all have free accounts for Mathletics at my son's school.
An update to this - they no longer have the option to access different curriculums - the default (and only) option is the country you're in.

Still a brilliant program though. Our experience of education (especially maths education ) in WA is so dire that taking control of our kids' learning via something like Mathletics makes things infintely more bearable.

I can't stress enough though - if you want to get the best out of the package you really need to sit with your kids.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
An update to this - they no longer have the option to access different curriculums - the default (and only) option is the country you're in.

Still a brilliant program though. Our experience of education (especially maths education ) in WA is so dire that taking control of our kids' learning via something like Mathletics makes things infintely more bearable.

I can't stress enough though - if you want to get the best out of the package you really need to sit with your kids.
I absolutely love Mathletics. My daughter and her friends will call each other and will all be on the phone at the same time doing the live mathletics so it has become a fun activity amongst her friends. It is one of the best things we have done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.