Know it all

Old Aug 8th 2004, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

perdey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Know it all

My wife and I and the kids are in the process of applying for migration. We have just had my wife’s trade assessed and passed. A lot of our relatives are very negative because we’ve never been to Aus, but we have friends where we want to go (Melbourne) One of my wife's uncle’s has just had a holiday for three weeks and loved it but says the people hate the English and are backward and can see that they all come from criminals and also the aboriginal people are a real problem and felt intimidated. I said surely you couldn’t expect to know the entire population of Aus in three weeks. Please discuss your views as he's really pissed me off, he thinks we are making a big mistake please let me know your experience of the people, its not that he's change our minds I haven’t been so he thinks I know nothing which I don’t, but I would like to hear from people who do.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Know it all

Originally Posted by perdey
My wife and I and the kids are in the process of applying for migration. We have just had my wife’s trade assessed and passed. A lot of our relatives are very negative because we’ve never been to Aus, but we have friends where we want to go (Melbourne) One of my wife's uncle’s has just had a holiday for three weeks and loved it but says the people hate the English and are backward and can see that they all come from criminals and also the aboriginal people are a real problem and felt intimidated. I said surely you couldn’t expect to know the entire population of Aus in three weeks. Please discuss your views as he's really pissed me off, he thinks we are making a big mistake please let me know your experience of the people, its not that he's change our minds I haven’t been so he thinks I know nothing which I don’t, but I would like to hear from people who do.
Hi Perdey,

I'm new on the board too, we are also in the process of applying to go to Melbourne and I haven't heard of any of this, although I'm sure every city has it's problems I was under the impression that huge percentage of Melbourne's population is made up of a huge variety of Migrants so i would imagine must be pretty tolerant.

I would expect that you might get replies from Bordy and Hev among others who live in the Melbourne suburbs and have been really helpful, I would respect their opinion more as they live there.

I'll be interested to hear what they have to say too.

Good luck with your application

Flossybean
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Know it all

Hi Perdey and a big welcome to the site. I have only been to Australia once and for just 2 weeks and I must say I did not find anything like your unlike did. I was a right pain in the a*** and went around asking everything and everybody questions about living in Aus from kids in the malls to couples in restaurants, from bar staff to shop assistants and I was met with, probably, the most kindest, helpful people I have ever met. They answered every question I asked and volunteered lots more information. Generalising is a bad habit of a few people on this site too and can be quite a dangerous thing, there are angry, bitter and miserable people living in this country too but that doesn't make us all the same.

I wouldn't worry about people saying you've never been there, so what, if you don't like it, you come back, a lot poorer granted but also a lot wiser and with the knowledge that you tried. If you do like it, then brilliant you've done something to better yours and your families lives.

Most of the people talking like this are people who would love to try something like this but daren't. Go for it and enjoy.

Lindsey
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=perdey]

Hi Perdey,

Unfortunately families can turn when they know how serious you are about emigrating, which many people have written about on here.

We went out to Melbourne last year also for 3 weeks and found the people lovely, very friendly and helpful. Our main concern is earning $'s and spending them, it's not as cheap as people may think.

Good luck with your plans,

Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

do your own research! someone's opinion of a 3 week holiday is not really going to help you in terms of wanting to make a life there.

OK, Aboriginals....a long, tired, bloody history here. There is a 'problem'...but I don't think living in Melbourne you will be at the the heart of the problem!!Look into it and try and understand it, but don't be afraid of it. besides, you aren't really gonna see any indigenous peoples in Melbourne. You may find the odd settlement out of the city, but not on a day to day basis. And anyway, they're nothing to be afraid of. They are just people, like you and me. The worst thing you can do is be led by anyone who says they're a nuisance etc - read into the background of it and make your own mind up.

Anti-Pom sentiment, commonly known as Pom Bashing. Get a thick skin and you can just ride the Pom Bashing wave alongside the Aussies who get a lot of amusement out of this national pastime! It's rarely malicious. Once you get to Oz you will understand the Aus v Pom thing.

Melbourne is a fabulous city in which to live. SOme will argue that you're mad to move without visiting first but people are different - some don't need to go first to make a go of it. There are plenty who have just 'turned up' and know they don't want to leave. Others are more cautious about making such a big change with no prior experience of the place. It's what you're comfortable with.

Good luck
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:04 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my wife's uncle’s has just had a holiday for three weeks and loved it but says the people hate the English and are backward and can see that they all come from criminals and also the aboriginal people are a real problem and felt intimidated.
I'm planning to go to Australia in January for ever hopefully, but for 3 years minimum.

My father has lived there since 1995 and I've spent 3 1/2 months there. Enough to get some impression of the place, but it's not the same as living there.

Your wife's uncle's views are (with respect) extremly shortsighted and narrow minded. My father has met people who dislike the English but bigotry is a worldwide phenomena. Mostly, in my experience, australians are extremely friendly and make you feel very welcome. We found that the kids in particular were always offering us their seat on public transport, helping us get pushchairs up and down steps etc. Good and bad in all cultures.

I obviously cannot speak for the indigenous people of Australia, but they appear to have had a pretty raw deal since european setlement. Even in recent history the Australia government attempted genocide on them via the policy known as the 'stolen generation'. Weblink below for those who are interested.

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justi...dren/faqs.html

It certainly appears that the Aboriginal people have been treated as second class citizens for a long time (hopefully it's changed / changing) and it's hardly suprising if 'some' have negative feelings as a result. I can't help but admire them for their culture and history against some adversity.

Enjoy it !!!!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have lived in Melbourne for over a year and I haven't had any issues with the people here. On the whole, they are friendly and polite. I am sure you get the "rough" sort but that's true of any country, I certainnly wouldn't say that you can tell that they decendents of criminals. I live in the SE suburbs and work in the city centre and can honestly say that I don't have an issue with the people that I encounter on a daily basis. Perhaps other people have different experiences but I reckon most of what your uncle has mentioned are stereotypes