Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

KNEE REPLACEMENT OPERATIONS

KNEE REPLACEMENT OPERATIONS

Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:49 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default KNEE REPLACEMENT OPERATIONS

Can you please confirm where a knee replacement operation would be covered under medicare, or would it require private health insurance?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KNEE REPLACEMENT OPERATIONS

All depends on when you want it done. It can be done through medicare but you will have to wait far longer for the privilege, it's generally elective surgery.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:01 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Why is it classed as elective, when a person is virtually crippled with pain and quality of life is suffering?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blossom
Why is it classed as elective, when a person is virtually crippled with pain and quality of life is suffering?
'cos you won't die if it doesn't take place in a hurry.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom
Like creature says, it's not life saving.

Yes, it is covered by Medicare, but bear in mind that if you're done in a public hospital your wait time is likely to be very long and you're almost sure to have a registrar/fellow do your procedure (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) and you don't get to choose your consultant.

If you have private insurance you can choose who does your op, get it done sooner and usually get longer in hospital.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:55 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Like creature says, it's not life saving.

Yes, it is covered by Medicare, but bear in mind that if you're done in a public hospital your wait time is likely to be very long and you're almost sure to have a registrar/fellow do your procedure (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) and you don't get to choose your consultant.

If you have private insurance you can choose who does your op, get it done sooner and usually get longer in hospital.
As Dorothy says, you will get it done sooner and you will pay more.

Having the privilege of "choosing" who does your op....to me, is not a material benefit, it is more of a fluffy feel good one. How can a member of the public ascertain the skills (or otherwise) of a medical professional ?!!!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Private hospitals like to keep you in - more fees. Public want you out as soon as medically possible so they can treat the next patient.

If it was me the best alternative would be having the surgery done in a public hospital but as a private patient.

p.s. Not all Medical Insurance covers this. I looked at my Medibank Private cover the other day and it specifically excludes hip and knee replacements - and that's one of the more inclusive policies.
[It excludes pregnancy as well but it not something us males have to worry about too much]

Last edited by hoofie2002; Jul 21st 2011 at 4:35 am.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Private hospitals like to keep you in - more fees. Public want you out as soon as medically possible so they can treat the next patient.

If it was me the best alternative would be having the surgery done in a public hospital but as a private patient.

p.s. Not all Medical Insurance covers this. I looked at my Medibank Private cover the other day and it specifically excludes hip and knee replacements - and that's one of the more inclusive policies.
[It excludes pregnancy as well but it not something us males have to worry about too much]
When we got our Medibank we looked at the one that covered cataracts, hips & knees and heart stuff. Mind you, I would defo come to RPH if I had a heart problem - but like you said, public hospital as private patient. Now to figure out who's on call so I can time my heart attack around the roster.