Kit homes

Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:54 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Main problem I can see is finding an estate that will allow you to put one up. What you can build here is highly regualted by Councils and Developer. Kit homes do not have the snob value required by most Aussies. They do not want one next door. Cannot see one going into any suburban housiing estate here.

Acerage/one off blocks may be your best chance.

Australia also gets cyclones. Cyclone Ratings have to be complied with in these parts. New building codes regarding energy and insulation also coming in in Spetember.

Beware any quote that does not include site works. This is where the big guys get their money. The average punter has no idea about Soil tests, engineeering reports and big costs involved here. You could easily be looking at 30grand if footings/foundations, excavations not included.

Self build here is not worth your trouble. Firstly if a registered builder builds a home it comes with a 6 year structural warranty. Self builders cannot give this, so nobody wants to buy them.
Also one off jobs are going to be quoted way over the odds of what the big guys building 200 odd homes pay. It will cost you more most likelly.

What nobody here probably realises, there is plenty of cheap land in OZ. However you will need to move out to get it. This is the most Suburban country in the world, everybody wants to live in the same bits, hence the land lottos, camp outs, to get a bit of land. Move 3 hours west of Brisbane and they will probably try giving it to you, well hundreds of acres for what you pay for a suburban block here anyway.

As for getting a parcel of land to subdivide, the land developers here are big corporations, anything worth dividing is sold for tens of millions+. Even if you found one would you have the knowledge and years and bonds available to develop it?

Sunshine Coast for example still has houses for $200,000 Nambour, Woombye, Chevalum, Landsborough.

Brisbane, still has them too, outer areas may be older and Ipswich has plenty but super hot in summer.

Remember Aussies all swarm to the same place. Look just a few klms off track for eg. (Nambour is 15 klm to the beaches) has hospital, shops, redevelopment planned, Council offices, Pool, theatre but it has never taken off.

Badger, as for you my little Outback James Bond, you should find houses well under $100,000 if you are really prepared to live in the Outback, cheap cheap cheap out away from the main towns.
dotty, dotty, northern AUSTRALIA has cyclones, dont mis lead people ............... MM
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:55 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by badgersmount
indeed - I am well aware about buying land..I have been looking..

so far you can buy heaps of land in Orange and Dubbo, Parkes - from 25-75k - more than you'd ever need - like 1-2 acres in parts - but not a tiny quarter of an acre or less say on on the extreme outskirts of Sydney or Newcastle!!

But you need a plot size big enough to not have the neighbours complain.

I only need, say 300 sqm2 for christ sakes - not the quarter acre and above..

Need to actually go and look - as always online is not the best place to look.

Is it any wonder why the Gold Coast types hate it - they have to live with snobby estate neighbours!!

badgers
Exactly as possible, Why do you want to own a dwelling?

Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

it's interesting the comments about 'kit homes'

my ex g/f used to work for wesbury homes hq in cheltenham

her boss was instructed to investigate the possibility of 'kit' homes which are built in factories and transported to site and assembled there saving huge costs and not constrained by the weather

very simular to 'curtain walling' etc but a step further

homes in the future will not be made anyother way..

once we can all get past this silly 'my home is my castle and should look like one too' stuff

part of our energy problem is that we've go too many old houses (which are of no real architectural value) which refuse to fall down and cost fortune to maintain and heat etc

cheers

richard
Old Jun 20th 2003, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

If what you mean by 'kit home' is 'timber frame home' then they are all over the place in Queensland. I've been in Brisbane for six months and every new construction I've seen is timber frame. They knocked one up over the road from me recently. It took about two months from start to finish. They even installed the bath before they put the brick skin on. Haven't seen a brick built home being constructed anywhere around here (other than on developers sites).

Personally I hate timber frame. They look like wendy houses. The bricks they use for the veneer are often various uncoordinated shades that horrible pale yellow colour that you wouldn't touch with a barge pole in the UK.

I'm someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be OK to just use timber in SE Queensland. Once you get up in the cyclone belt then I believe you have to use steel joists.

If you want cheap land then I've seen some plots going on Russell Island (just outside Brisbane) for as little as $10k. There is obviously a huge downside for them to be this cheap. Probably the fact that there are no roads connecting it to the mainland and the island is made mostly of sand. Why not buy one of those plots and stick your wendy house on it ?
Old Jun 20th 2003, 12:41 pm
Badge

paal do their kit homes with STEEL frames and many others you can specify steel.

I think etlniwd is right. Scandinavians have been building timber homes for decades.

I think there is too much snobbery - and let's face it brick veneer is a timber frame house with a layer of bricks anyhow.

Incidentally you can buy them in the UK - paying say pounds rather than dollars - and I was amazed to find really cheap land in the UK for £15k etc!!

badgers

Old Jun 20th 2003, 12:48 pm
Badge

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
Exactly as possible, Why do you want to own a dwelling?
I want to own my own home as my own life and my parent's life has been blighted by being renters.

For example by not inheriting any money from my skint parents who still rent their council flat it is now impossible for me to live in the UK - and if I did I would be mortgaged to the hilt and have to get a high paying job - even in the country - where there are less jobs anyhow.

By buying:
a) you earn own it and then free up capital
b) you can sell it at capital appreciation, or at least the land.

badgers

Old Jun 20th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Left over screws and bolts

bound to happen with Kit homes, always happens to my with anything I self-assemble(IKEA).
Old Jun 20th 2003, 1:46 pm
The Tooth Fairy

I want to own my own home as my own life and my parent's life has been blighted by being renters.

For example by not inheriting any money from my skint parents who still rent their council flat it is now impossible for me to live in the UK - and if I did I would be mortgaged to the hilt and have to get a high paying job - even in the country - where there are less jobs anyhow.

By buying:
a) you earn own it and then free up capital
b) you can sell it at capital appreciation, or at least the land.

badgers
In Aus, if history is any guide, you need to own a house for 5 to 10 years to see any more capital appreciation than you would achieve by alternative conservative low taxed investments such as superannuation (depending on your age based super tax deductability).

Most of the capital appreciation occurs in 1 to 2 years in a cyclic boom as we are / have just experienced.

HOUSES do not appreciate - they ALL depreciate; only certain LOCATIONS appreciate.

Much of the current increase in price (~1/3) is due to the improvements owners have made to their houses above and beyond normal costs associated with upkeep. Often the improvements are not profitable.

Generally, the locations which have appreciated most, both in $ and % terms, are those which were already the most expensive.

Owning your home outright is a strong foundation to financial stability for most. A strong business is better but few achieve that. Owning in the best location you can afford with the lowest mortgage you can achieve is the best advice for most.

In essence, owning a house is a declaration that you intend to settle in that location for many years.

Old Jun 20th 2003, 1:50 pm
Badge

Default Re: Left over screws and bolts

Can you imagine it?!

I was looking at the Paal site, they seem to claim to supply the mother of all manuals..as it is all steel construction you screw thinghs together rather than cut etc..

i can imagine it now...

Roof. You may need a helper for this one...cut along line 'A' and paste Roof 'C' to wall 'B'. Repeat for all 4 corners.

Leave to dry.

;-)

badgers

PS Paal look great - even McGrath bought one!

Old Jun 20th 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Left over screws and bolts

Can you imagine it?!

I was looking at the Paal site, they seem to claim to supply the mother of all manuals..as it is all steel construction you screw thinghs together rather than cut etc..

i can imagine it now...

Roof. You may need a helper for this one...cut along line 'A' and paste Roof 'C' to wall 'B'. Repeat for all 4 corners.

Leave to dry.

;-)

badgers

PS Paal look great - even McGrath bought one!

Things are changing in the UK too, we looked at a new development a couple of weeks ago. All the houses are timber Frame with Stone Cladding. The first houses that were built two years ago have increased in value 100 percent.
We looked around a couple of them and they are great, well finished, good quality fittings etc.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 5:42 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

What about longevity?

For instance, my parents home is 60 years old, and still as solid as the day it was built. They could own it for a further 10 years and sell it without worry that the place might be on its way out.

Now, i don't know anything about housing.....but i would'nt have thought a quick build timber frame home would last "that" well?

Im probably being daft....but do these places last?

Pete "confused in a solid brick home in Orpington" Y......
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:55 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by PeteY
What about longevity?

For instance, my parents home is 60 years old, and still as solid as the day it was built. They could own it for a further 10 years and sell it without worry that the place might be on its way out.

Now, i don't know anything about housing.....but i would'nt have thought a quick build timber frame home would last "that" well?

Longer than you are likely to last. In Townsville, local building codes take into consideration termites and cyclones etc.

Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:59 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by etlniwd
If what you mean by 'kit home' is 'timber frame home' then they are all over the place in Queensland. I've been in Brisbane for six months and every new construction I've seen is timber frame. They knocked one up over the road from me recently. It took about two months from start to finish. They even installed the bath before they put the brick skin on. Haven't seen a brick built home being constructed anywhere around here (other than on developers sites).

Personally I hate timber frame. They look like wendy houses. The bricks they use for the veneer are often various uncoordinated shades that horrible pale yellow colour that you wouldn't touch with a barge pole in the UK.

I'm someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be OK to just use timber in SE Queensland. Once you get up in the cyclone belt then I believe you have to use steel joists.

If you want cheap land then I've seen some plots going on Russell Island (just outside Brisbane) for as little as $10k. There is obviously a huge downside for them to be this cheap. Probably the fact that there are no roads connecting it to the mainland and the island is made mostly of sand. Why not buy one of those plots and stick your wendy house on it ?
Building Materials

Old Jun 21st 2003, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is a very useful piece of information you have posted on Building Materials, whether building or buying a house. Thanks for taking the time and finding it.

Sue
Old Jun 21st 2003, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Originally posted by PeteY
What about longevity?

Hi pete,
a timber kit house will last as long as any traditional brick house, as it has a brick finish on the exterior.Sure you will agree chippy!,
Also, the interior walls will remain straighter than any traditional built house.
Once a kit house is finished there is no visible differences between it and a traditional house.

The majority of new houses in Scotland are kit homes.

Will post some pics when i get a chance to show you an example of one I built last year.

Cheers, Iain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.