Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"King" Kennedy Dead

"King" Kennedy Dead

Old May 25th 2005, 8:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy "King" Kennedy Dead

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here yet but Graham Kennedy died this morning. An absolute TV legend here in Australia. I used to watch his Coast to Coast show, it was hysterical.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-28101,00.html
Old May 25th 2005, 8:09 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "King" Kennedy Dead

Didn't know - what a sad day & a great loss .
Old May 25th 2005, 8:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Even Rove McManus can't measure up to his zaniness and showmanship. Australia has lost a unique talent.
Old May 25th 2005, 8:48 am
aussie73

He was in three really good Aussie films l have seen:
" The Club"
" The Odd Angry Shot"
"Traveling North"

Old May 25th 2005, 10:19 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember him, but will watch the news etc tonight to see what he was about. And maybe I'll recognise something!
Old May 25th 2005, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Kennedy is mainly remembered (by older locals anyway) for his ground breaking show IMT (In Melbourne Tonight) which started in the 60's. His sidekick was one Bert Newton. I can remember seeing Kennedy often in Trak (Toorak) where he used to live. He moved down past Frankston and then became a bit of a recluse from the 80's onwards, retiring to a farm in NSW I think (Bowral?). After his pet horses and dogs died he went downhill and finished his days in a nursing home. I'm not surprised Simone can't remember him!

The Club (play by David Williamson) was made into an excellent film - based on Collingwood FC. Kennedy was excellent in it (as was Frank Wilson).

One of Kennedy's best bits on IMT was actually the ads which they did live and often slagged the product off. Companies were queueing up to advertise on the show because sales took off. Invariably Bert was his straight man (Kennedy allegedly wasn't 'straight' himself) e.g. the shoe ads when they used to throw them around and put in the slogan 'You're feet are hurtin' when you wear Raoul Merton'.

Memories!!

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2005, 12:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, saw him on tv, and recognised him immediately, though don't think I was around when he had his own shows etc.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:16 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I know much about Graham Kennedy.
Obviously I've not been living in Oz long enough.

But from what I've seen on the news all day today, Australia has lost one of its favorite sons!

RIP Graham......
Old May 25th 2005, 12:16 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

p.s. I heard Burt Newton decribe himself on the radio as the 'crown prince'. Does that make him the King now?!!!!
Old May 25th 2005, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
p.s. I heard Burt Newton decribe himself on the radio as the 'crown prince'. Does that make him the King now?!!!!
Bert was never much without GK - and still isn't! Bert has made a modicum of talent go a long way and last 40 years.

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2005, 1:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Bert was never much without GK - and still isn't! Bert has made a modicum of talent go a long way and last 40 years.

OzTennis
Yes, that's the impression I got, but couldn't/can't say, cause I haven't actually seen much of his stuff(he really only does GMA now, doesn't he?)
It is pretty amazing of him to last 40 years though!

Anyway, I'm still mourning the loss of Burke...with him I did grow up! Saw an interview with him on 'Andrew Denton'. Was very interesting!!
Don't know if you know OzT, but the show that replaced Burke's Backyard recently got pulled of air, ratings very low(while Burke was still getting 2 million or so viewers when they axed him! Must be politics or something going on there!)
Old May 25th 2005, 2:17 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

OzTennis
Played footie against Bert's nephew's team, kicked their arses.....is that off topic?

Anyway bye Grah-grah.....oz legend.........Faaaark ......Faaaark
Old May 25th 2005, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Simone
Yes, that's the impression I got, but couldn't/can't say, cause I haven't actually seen much of his stuff(he really only does GMA now, doesn't he?)
It is pretty amazing of him to last 40 years though!

Anyway, I'm still mourning the loss of Burke...with him I did grow up! Saw an interview with him on 'Andrew Denton'. Was very interesting!!
Don't know if you know OzT, but the show that replaced Burke's Backyard recently got pulled of air, ratings very low(while Burke was still getting 2 million or so viewers when they axed him! Must be politics or something going on there!)
Bert was in The Producers in Melbourne and according to friends was surprisingly good in it! Don Burke was possibly something to do with ageism - get a younger presenter in, happens everywhere (BBC are experts at it eg replace experienced travel journalists with pretty (that's the men) airheads.

Give me a home amongst the gum trees with lots of plum trees ...........

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2005, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
Played footie against Bert's nephew's team, kicked their arses.....is that off topic?

Anyway bye Grah-grah.....oz legend.........Faaaark ......Faaaark
Yeah, I'd almost forgotten the infamous 'what sound does a crow make'? ... Faaaark etc which caused 'shock, horror, probe' at the time.

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2005, 2:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Bert was in The Producers in Melbourne and according to friends was surprisingly good in it! Don Burke was possibly something to do with ageism - get a younger presenter in, happens everywhere (BBC are experts at it eg replace experienced travel journalists with pretty (that's the men) airheads.

Give me a home amongst the gum trees with lots of plum trees ...........

OzTennis
a dog or two and a kangaroo, clothes line out the back
Verandah out the front, and an old, rocking.... chair! Ahhh, my Australian dream Replace kangaroo with chooks and goats.

Hmm, I'd get it if Don's (why do I keep calling him Burke?! argh!) ratings were down, but they weren't(hmm, well, maybe they were down against what they were, but they were still very high). But yeah, ageism seems the only 'logical' answer at the moment.
Or maybe finances(Don and his wife had their own company that produced the show...)

Ahhh, going nice and off topic again as usual!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.