British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   King Bed, anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/king-bed-anyone-346508/)

ads02 Jan 6th 2006 1:36 pm

King Bed, anyone?

Hi All out there.

Hubby brought home a king size bed not knowing that all our linen was Queen Size! :eek: ! Now am offering it for sale for local pick up. Brand new in beech finish, with leather look headboard - throwing away at AU$ 300 (We'd bought it at AU$ 799).

If anyone is keen on having more details please PM me.

Cheers,

ADS

TruBrit Jan 6th 2006 1:44 pm

Re: King Bed, anyone?

Originally Posted by ads02
Hi All out there.

Hubby brought home a king size bed not knowing that all our linen was Queen Size! :eek: ! Now am offering it for sale for local pick up. Brand new in beech finish, with leather look headboard - throwing away at AU$ 300 (We'd bought it at AU$ 799).

Cheers,

ADS

OMG I'd never let my man shop without me...esp for a bed :confused: anyway would it not be a good idea to treat yourselves to some new bedding rather than basically give the bed away....just a thought :rolleyes:

ads02 Jan 6th 2006 1:49 pm

You bet!

I'll probably end up using it if I don't get a buyer! New bedding it will be, then!!! Just that I'd rather have a queen size one if I can sell this one.

ads

CadburysFingers Jan 6th 2006 2:02 pm

I am guessing you have never slept in an Australian king size bed, they are fantastic, not to be confused with a UK king size, which is 9 inches narrower. The amount of room you have in the bed is brilliant, we would never change ours. Give it a go, and get $100 of new bedding, job sorted.

Mrs JFW Jan 6th 2006 5:19 pm

Hi All out there.

Cheers,

ADS

Would it not be more cost effective to buy new bedding rather than lose money on your new bed? ...just a thought?

....sorry should have read the threads below first! :o

annqldau Jan 6th 2006 11:30 pm

We brought our bed with us - a 6' wide one from the UK just in case you couldn't get 6' wide over here - would never go back to a smaller one now especially in this heat!!

annqldau Jan 7th 2006 5:26 am

We have looked at Kingsize beds over here and they didn't look like UK Super Kings which are 1'ft bigger than UK kingsize so that would make an Aussie Kingsize only 3" smaller than UK Super Kingsize.

Ikea here also do not do all the Super Kingsize bedding they do in the UK or the mattress's... :mad: .

Linda Lushardi Jan 7th 2006 5:33 am

I'd never give up my king bed! Most comfortable bed ive ever owned and the main reasons for it is the ability to slide as far away from your partner as you wish on very hot nights making for a good nights sleep.

CathnPaul Jan 7th 2006 5:34 am

Hi All out there.

Cheers,

ADS

Why cant you take it back to the shop and exchange it for a queensize bed??

Stormz Jan 9th 2006 12:31 am

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Why cant you take it back to the shop and exchange it for a queensize bed??

My thoughts exactly. Or just buy new bedding at K-mart for $30 ea.

moneypenny20 Jan 9th 2006 1:02 am

You bet!

I'll probably end up using it if I don't get a buyer! New bedding it will be, then!!! Just that I'd rather have a queen size one if I can sell this one.

ads

Why would you prefer a Queen size to a King :confused:

poshrice Jan 9th 2006 2:22 am

Can someone please tell me the difference between king and queen size in Australia i am not bringing my bed out or any bedding (apart from piglets for him to have some familiarity) just buying all new. Obviously would like a big a bed as poss and was planning to buy most of our furniture in Ikea.

Cheers Poshrice

andrew63 Jan 9th 2006 3:24 am

Originally Posted by poshrice
Can someone please tell me the difference between king and queen size in Australia i am not bringing my bed out or any bedding (apart from piglets for him to have some familiarity) just buying all new. Obviously would like a big a bed as poss and was planning to buy most of our furniture in Ikea.

Cheers Poshrice

It's not easy!
Try:
http://www.answers.com/topic/bed-furniture
Scroll down about half-way for measuremnets

Andrew

ABCDiamond Jan 9th 2006 3:32 am

Originally Posted by poshrice

Cheers Poshrice

Australian Bed Sizes:
These Mattress sizes from : http://www.latexmattress.com.au/products.htm

Single 1880 x 915mm
King Single 2030 x 1070mm
Double 1880 x 1370mm
Queen 2030 x 1520mm
King 2030 x 1830mm

Neil S Jan 9th 2006 4:11 am

Originally Posted by annqldau
We have looked at Kingsize beds over here and they didn't look like UK Super Kings which are 1'ft bigger than UK kingsize so that would make an Aussie Kingsize only 3" smaller than UK Super Kingsize.

Ikea here also do not do all the Super Kingsize bedding they do in the UK or the mattress's... :mad: .

We brought a Super Kingsize bed over from the UK and the Aussie king size linen fits it perfectly. Bit pricey though.