Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kinda complicated mortgage question

Wikiposts

Kinda complicated mortgage question

Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kinda complicated mortgage question

Originally Posted by The Bloke
As far as I understand it , people who come out here on skills visas automatically get their PR straight away.
That's correct the skilled independent class visa means your a PR resident as soon as your living here.

Doesn't help us much either both Deb and I are self employed we run our own small business. We cannot get a mortgage from anywhere for at least another few months as we've only been trading for 11 months. It was hard enough to come here and set up our own business from scratch but now when it comes to getting finance for a house, we don't have the required ticks in the right boxes. We have found one guy, I posted about it a while ago, when it came to the crunch he needed 12 months books and a business forecast for the next 12 before he could arrange anything. This was even with us having bought the land outright and having at least 20% of the cost of the house we wish to build on it.
Still if we keep saving as much as we are at the moment living with my folks, when it comes to the time we qualify we'll only need to borrow 50% of the build costs.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by cresta57
That's correct the skilled independent class visa means your a PR resident as soon as your living here.

Doesn't help us much either both Deb and I are self employed we run our own small business. We cannot get a mortgage from anywhere for at least another few months as we've only been trading for 11 months. It was hard enough to come here and set up our own business from scratch but now when it comes to getting finance for a house, we don't have the required ticks in the right boxes. We have found one guy, I posted about it a while ago, when it came to the crunch he needed 12 months books and a business forecast for the next 12 before he could arrange anything. This was even with us having bought the land outright and having at least 20% of the cost of the house we wish to build on it.
Still if we keep saving as much as we are at the moment living with my folks, when it comes to the time we qualify we'll only need to borrow 50% of the build costs.

I don't quite know what to do? I need PR so we can get a mortgage i will be on a temp. marriage visa, my huuby is an aussie.

I'm a Town Planner....would it be easier to go on a skilled migrant visa? I know my trade gives me 50 points, I have worked as a planner for over 4 years and have all the relevant qualifications. Does it take ages to get a migrant visa? We want to go out about christmas time?
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
I don't quite know what to do? I need PR so we can get a mortgage i will be on a temp. marriage visa, my huuby is an aussie.

I'm a Town Planner....would it be easier to go on a skilled migrant visa? I know my trade gives me 50 points, I have worked as a planner for over 4 years and have all the relevant qualifications. Does it take ages to get a migrant visa? We want to go out about christmas time?

You need to talk to an agent as everyone's opinion would differ.
No idea on processing times but it seems an expensive way of going about things.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
You need to talk to an agent as everyone's opinion would differ.
No idea on processing times but it seems an expensive way of going about things.

Nothing stopping a person eligible for a spouse visa from also going for a skilled visa. However with a 50 point occupation you won't generally meet the 120 skilled independent pass mark, so unless you have an Australian relative to sponsor you this option will probably not work.

An Australian spouse cannot sponsor for skilled sponsored.

Jeremy
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
As far as I understand it , people who come out here on skills visas automatically get their PR straight away.
Except a number of situations, including:

- people with the SIR visa; and
- most business skill migrants

The 457 visa is another temporary 'skill' visa.

Jeremy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:54 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pako

Do you know for sure that you will only be given Temp. My spouse visa came back last year and was automatically PR, so I wont have to apply for PR in 2 years time. I believe it is down to to the discretion of your case officer.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Do you know for sure that you will only be given Temp. My spouse visa came back last year and was automatically PR, so I wont have to apply for PR in 2 years time. I believe it is down to to the discretion of your case officer.
It's not down to the discretion of your case officer. It's about whether you meet the criteria for a 'long term relationship' as of time of application.

2 years cohabitation if you have a child together, 5 years otherwise.

Jeremy
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not down to the discretion of your case officer. It's about whether you meet the criteria for a 'long term relationship' as of time of application.

Jeremy

Thanks Guys, we're married but only been together 4 years...I may try for my Skilled Visa, I will have to look at the points system. I've got a Masters Degree and I'm a Town Planner, I'll have to look into the criteria!!

Otherwise we'll just have to see how far a £20K deposit and temp status will get us on the mortgage front.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

Jeremy, just to clarify something - is it cohabitation (by which I guess you mean living together) or relationship? Quite often 2 different things .