Killing snakes?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:37 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Killing snakes?

Some one help me out here! A friend told me that it is illegal to kill snakes in Australia, but after searching, I can't find a thing about this! Lots of people have said to me that you just take a spade to them, so plently of snake deaths must occur!

So is it true it is illegal to kill snakes?

Kx
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:00 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Killing snakes?

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Some one help me out here! A friend told me that it is illegal to kill snakes in Australia, but after searching, I can't find a thing about this! Lots of people have said to me that you just take a spade to them, so plently of snake deaths must occur!

Kx
Its probably a good thing its illegal becasue often its people who are trying to kill snakes that get bitten, the safest thing it to leave it alone. l thinks the laws a good thing if it deters hoons who just kill snakes for fun thinking it makes them look tough. Hitting it with a spade you risk getting bitten. But l guess theres probably lots of people that kill them on their property anyway as its unlikely they would get caught, l think if you can show the snake posed a risk to you or other people, like its in your house of something then its legal to kill it but l'm not sure.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 1st 2010 at 10:07 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:02 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Killing snakes?

Try looking for protected rather than killing think it's the very fact they are protected means they can't be harmed. Brush Turkey's that are everywhere are the same even though they are total pests.

Kx
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Kx
I'm wondering if it varies from state to state. In Vic the DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment) says that snakes are protected as are all native animals. However I can't find the specific law detailing it.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:04 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Kx
Yes, its illegal.

There's something like a $35000 fine if you're caught. (can't remember the exact amount, but I know it was a huge number)

I worked on a road construction site which had to deal with a lot of snakes (mostly carpet snakes though) so we had a talk on what snakes were what and what to do (stay still, generally) if you came across one. The blokey giving the talk said that their biggest problem was educating people away from 'the only good snake is a dead snake' attitude
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Snakes are gorgeous, don't kill them, just let them be. found one yesterday when mowing, just moved it away so I didn't hurt it and it slithered off!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:09 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Kx
Wrestling with snakes is permitted.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:10 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm wondering if it varies from state to state. In Vic the DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment) says that snakes are protected as are all native animals. However I can't find the specific law detailing it.
I was in Qld when I had the talk on snakes - I found this on a general site, but at least it gives a statute name for Qld at least.

Like all Australian snakes, they are protected by law. In Queensland the Nature Conservation Act (1992) prohibits killing or capturing wild snakes unless life is threatened. Any snakes in captivity have been bred and sold by licensed breeders.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I do that every morning
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:11 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kporte
Snakes are gorgeous, don't kill them, just let them be. found one yesterday when mowing, just moved it away so I didn't hurt it and it slithered off!
Snakes are not a evil as everyone things, they are affraid of people and only bite people in self defence, if you leave them alone they leave you alone they kill rats and mice and help the environment, l think as many people die from bee and wasp stings in OZ.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
Snakes are not a evil as everyone things, they are affraid of people and only bite people in self defence, if you leave them alone they leave you alone they kill rats and mice and help the environment,
exactly
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:13 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I do that every morning
So does my wife. Boom tsk.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

So does my wife. Boom tsk.
i'm single
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:18 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

lmfao!!! Mate, that is bloody funny!!!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:19 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

i'm single
Oh I say!! Ding dong!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.