Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

kids vaccinations

kids vaccinations

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids vaccinations

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
May I ask if your doctor advised giving antipyretics before the vaccinations as well? I have heard from several American contacts recently who have said that in the US the doctors are advising use of tylenol/equivalent several hours before vaccinations as well as a couple of days afterwards.
Yeah, I was going to mention that Dr. Sears, who is very pro-vaccine, recommends against giving paracetamol or ibuprofen because it could mask a potentially dangerous reaction.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I have made a half an hour appointment with my Dr to discuss vaccination for my second and third child - they are vaccinated to some degree but not up to date and I have kind of lost track of where I am at. I do have a signed conscientious objection form which was no dramas to get.

Another poster discussed how she needed evidence for her dr to get him to sign the conscientious objection. I am not sure he/she would be interested - Drs are, in some cases, refusing to sign these forms not because they want a debate on the pros and cons but more for legal liability issues. they represent the patient (ie child) not the parent and the union or whatever its called for Drs raised the point that they could potentially be sued for allowing a disease to occur when they have clear advice that vaccination is needed. So it is nothing to do with their individual point of view.
That must be me you're referring to...and I don't need evidence (as in going out and finding some), I have lots already. If the doctors are refusing to sign CO forms, from my understanding, these are filed to receive child benefits, right? So, if I don't collect benefits, then I don't require the form. I have asked other non-vaccinating parents about schools and the CO form is not required to enroll in school...

If it's legal liability issue, some Americans sign liability forms from the ped saying basically, "I will not sue the ped if my child catches chicken pox etc." So, if the doctors in Australia are that concerned about lawsuits, they can have their patients sign something similar.

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 22nd 2009 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:10 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Japonica
That must be me you're referring to...and I don't need evidence (as in going out and finding some), I have lots already.

If the doctors are refusing to sign CO forms, from my understanding, these are filed to receive child benefits, right? So, if I don't collect benefits, then I don't require the form. I have asked other non-vaccinating parents about schools and the CO form is not required to enroll in school...
That is right, its when your children are in childcare and you receive CCB towards the cost. usually before school age. I am not sure if it was you who posted earlier, will need to check. Someone said they were getting evidence to show their Dr when getting the form. I was really p**sed off as I have 3 in child care and keep getting letters stopping my CCB. I put in a form, I do a vaccination, it cancels the form although I also have given them a medical letter stating that I am doing my own thing.

Originally Posted by Japonica
If it's legal liability issue, some Americans sign liability forms from the ped saying basically, "I will not sue the ped if my child catches chicken pox etc." So, if the doctors in Australia are that concerned about lawsuits, they can have their patients sign something similar.
I think probably that is under discussion as well - Australian Drs are asked to sign all sorts of things and there isn't a protocol yet re: lawsuits. I cant really see what it has to do with them anyway - if someone decides they object, why cant they go and see a JP and get them to sign the form.

It really bugs me that government tries to push it though, I hate nanny state stuff. I can understand why though but that is something that is quite different here. I also hate having to vote - on Sat I had to drag the 3 kids in on my own in the tipping down rain to go and scribble all over a bloody ballot paper when I am completely ignorant to any of the parties, their policies and even how government is set up. I am not interested and as such should not even be allowed to vote, I think it should be the opposite, voters should prove they have at least half a brain before voting.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:24 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
May I ask if your doctor advised giving antipyretics before the vaccinations as well? I have heard from several American contacts recently who have said that in the US the doctors are advising use of tylenol/equivalent several hours before vaccinations as well as a couple of days afterwards.
No, he only suggested using panadol, didn't mention anything else.

cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla

cheers
panadol is an antipyretic (=brings down fever)...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by viviennef
That is right, its when your children are in childcare and you receive CCB towards the cost. usually before school age. I am not sure if it was you who posted earlier, will need to check. Someone said they were getting evidence to show their Dr when getting the form. I was really p**sed off as I have 3 in child care and keep getting letters stopping my CCB. I put in a form, I do a vaccination, it cancels the form although I also have given them a medical letter stating that I am doing my own thing.
The problem is, as you've found, that they don't cater for "selective" vaccinators. As far as they're concerned, you're either *pro*, in which case there's no issue because you do them all, or *anti*, in which case you are deemed as being against vaccination in general, and do none. As the form says: "I have a personal, philosophical, religious or medical belief involving a conviction that vaccination under the National Immunisation Program should not take place. On this basis, I choose not to have my child immunised." you can understand where they're coming from on that score. If you subsequently get your child vaccinated after submission of the form, you can't blame them for thinking you've changed your mind.

I think probably that is under discussion as well - Australian Drs are asked to sign all sorts of things and there isn't a protocol yet re: lawsuits. I cant really see what it has to do with them anyway - if someone decides they object, why cant they go and see a JP and get them to sign the form.
I guess because they consider you have to be *counselled* by someone who knows what they're talking about. Theoretically, the form can be signed by anyone who is an "immunisation provider" - so a nurse who does the vaccinations at a clinic can sign it for you too. A JP wouldn't qualify as knowing what they're talking about on this issue. Although sometimes, given the nonsense I hear coming from people who should know better, maybe a JP would qualify on that basis!

I've been told by several people that CO forms have a habit of getting "lost" in the system. General advice from those that don't vaccinate is to get several copies because there's a good chance that the original won't get to its destination, resulting in another visit to the doctor and more aggro. I wouldn't know - we didn't need one as dd was well past the age of them caring.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but don't disregard the financial incentive that doctors receive for vaccinating. It's not in their interest to have patients that don't vaccinate.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by asprilla

cheers
But was it suggested prior to the vaccines being given or just afterwards? Giving it prior to vaccines being administered seems to be a change of policy. I just wondered if it's changing in Australia too...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:16 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the misunderstanding ! I'm also chuckling to myself at japonica's post.

No, the doctor did not suggest using panadol prior to the vaccinations. He basically said, give him panadol every 4hrs or so for approx 24hrs, after he had given the jabs. He even said we should wake him during the night to give him some panadol.

In the end we only gave him a couple of doses. He wasn't interested in the panadol after that so we just left it at that. He doesn't appear to have suffered any adverse reactions apart from maybe losing his appetite a little that day.

For what it's worth, the doc said that he had recently been on a training course on this subject, and the advice on the panadol had not changed since his last training course 10 or 15yrs ago.