Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids, Sport and Perth

Kids, Sport and Perth

Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all
Default Kids, Sport and Perth

Ok, please help me to convince my wife that there are opportunities for our kids to attend a variety of sports clubs in the North of Perth and preferably near to Joondalup or Kallaroo.

Our kids (aged 5 and 4) currently attend cheerleading, swimming, girls brigade and gymnastics clubs but when we do a search for the same activities in Perth, we find that we are extremely limited. It costs about £2 per session for each of the activities apart from swimming which costs £7.50 / half hour. All clubs are within a mile radius which I appreciate will not be the same in Perth!

It has been my belief that sporting opportunities in Perth would be better than in the UK (so I am constantly told!) but I think I'm wrong? I am also told that there are huge waiting lists, is this correct?

Thanks for any help
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids, Sport and Perth

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Ok, please help me to convince my wife that there are opportunities for our kids to attend a variety of sports clubs in the North of Perth and preferably near to Joondalup or Kallaroo.

Our kids (aged 5 and 4) currently attend cheerleading, swimming, girls brigade and gymnastics clubs but when we do a search for the same activities in Perth, we find that we are extremely limited. It costs about £2 per session for each of the activities apart from swimming which costs £7.50 / half hour. All clubs are within a mile radius which I appreciate will not be the same in Perth!

It has been my belief that sporting opportunities in Perth would be better than in the UK (so I am constantly told!) but I think I'm wrong? I am also told that there are huge waiting lists, is this correct?

Thanks for any help
In the Joondalup area you can do swimming at Stateswim or Joondalup Arena. You may find it hard to find a guides or scout group to take them that young here. My daughter was 7 when she was able to attend. Gymnastics clubs can be found in Wangara, High Flyers and in Balcatta, Northern Districts. Both are very good clubs. I know people who attend cheerleading classes but don't know where they are held. Lots of dance schools around the area too. Costs are higher than you are currently paying. I usually pay around $130 a term (9 or 10 lesson) for dancing and swimming I pay $130 a month for 2 kids, one of which is squad level.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

My son's swimming lessons were just over $100 for the 9 week term.

Lots and lots of stuff in Joondalup.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:08 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheerleading at Craigie Leisure Centre
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Thanks for any help
In my experience sporting opportunities where we are in Perth are certainly not better than they were where we lived in the UK. A lot of the activities my three children have been involved in have also asked for payment up front rather than paying for each lesson as you go which I find makes budgeting more difficult. My oldest has been on the waiting list for scouts for more than 2 years.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:38 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for any help
My 7 year old does Little Athletics at Joodalup Arena. Just finished. Will start up again in 6 months time. Very good.

Both my 2 year old and 7 year old have swimming leasons at the Swim School, at the side of Beaumaris Shops. Again very good.

No waiting lists for either.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:41 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hoveactually
In my experience sporting opportunities where we are in Perth are certainly not better than they were where we lived in the UK. A lot of the activities my three children have been involved in have also asked for payment up front rather than paying for each lesson as you go which I find makes budgeting more difficult. My oldest has been on the waiting list for scouts for more than 2 years.
We equired about Scouts. Your children will have priority (i.e. queue jump) if you as a parent agree to help out. Sounds fair enough to me.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BAY
My 7 year old does Little Athletics at Joodalup Arena. Just finished. Will start up again in 6 months time. Very good.

Both my 2 year old and 7 year old have swimming leasons at the Swim School, at the side of Beaumaris Shops. Again very good.

No waiting lists for either.
Can I ask you the name of the swimming lesson group please?

Pops xxx
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Sorry I have not ben able to thank you all earlier for your replies - they help a lot - thanks.
A two year waiting list sounds mad. I would check that they still have you on the list!!

Are there no after-school clubs for under 7's?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Sorry I have not ben able to thank you all earlier for your replies - they help a lot - thanks.
A two year waiting list sounds mad. I would check that they still have you on the list!!

Are there no after-school clubs for under 7's?
I have ....... and they do.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

I am astounded at the amount of sports that kids can do here in Perth. We didn't come from a big city in the UK so had limited access to kids activities.

Mine (10, 8, 6 and 4) do soccer in winter, swimming all year, golf, tennis, kiddies gymnastics and cub scouts. Probably averaging about $13 per lesson/activity per attendance.

They've also tried Tai Kwon Do, KidzSportz and basketball.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Perth is full of opportunities for kids in a variety of sports. Its what Australia does best!
In addition to the sports you mention , they might seek new sports like T ball ( softball ) or Aus kick. You could also join the surf life saving clubs - Mullaloo for example , where swimming is a large part of the training / activities.

Cheers