Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

kids and schooling

kids and schooling

Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb kids and schooling

Could someone give me advice on schooling. Our application was sent in Nov. 2003 so (possibly wishful thinking) but I'm hoping that we may be ready to go around Mar./Apr 2005. The problem is my second son will be almost half way thru GCSE's. Would it be easier for him to remain here and finish them or come with us and start the year again. I would really appreciate it if anyone else has had this problem and can help. Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm new here. Found it last night and haven't slept yet. And can he stay here if he wants and join us later????
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Purely from the aspect of settling in and making friends, I would bring him with you and go to school here. Different maybe if he is intending on going onto further education here as he will make friends at TAFE.

He would have to come and validate his visa with you I should think and then return later if you decide to leave him in UK.

Good luck
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a difficult enough time without having to change schools, friends, curriculum etc. I was moved from Portsmouth to Warrington in the middle of my GCEs and it caused me loads of problems with fitting in, I lost all my friends, my girlfriend and the change of curriculum totally screwed my results. Thats with a 250 mile move!

Personally I think you should be asking your son what he wants.

My parents did not ask me what I wanted and it took me a long time to forgive that. Mainly because years later I found that I could have had a choice.

I don't have kids so my view maybe totally unaceptable with those of you that have kids.

Last edited by karawara88; Mar 18th 2004 at 10:00 am.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult one that! We chose to move from Singapore back to uk after our finished GCSE's and daughter in yr 8 so now I'm sitting here waiting for son to finish A2
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by helinuk
Difficult one that! We chose to move from Singapore back to uk after our son finished GCSE's and daughter in yr 8 so now I'm sitting here waiting for son to finish A2
sorry about that ??? as I was saying he takes a gap yr this yr then will go to uni ., and Daughter finishes GCSE's next yr 2005... then we plan to leave uk again - hopefully take daughter to Oz she can go to a TAFE. Both kids are adaptable although we all had to work at it. I agree the important thing is to involve them in all the decisions. Every family is different but the stresses are there as we've seen by the other threads on moving abroad. Only you know your kids . It's a scary time being a teenager IMHO they need their parents around them.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:22 am

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Hi

I'm in a similar position my daughter is in year 10 we are

expecting pr visa this year validating Easter next year and going

after her last GCSE as I want to give her as many options as

possible as after 2 years when she is 18 she could once receiving

Citizenship return to uk.

I expect she will settle in oz better than us and carry on with her

education in Oz!

I think I just feel for the sake of a few months it gives her more

choices.She is happy with this but upset to leave her friends.I

just hope she doesn't meet the love of her life prior to next year!!

Its hard to make these decisions

Good Luck

Nikki x
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by nikkers
Hi

I'm in a similar position my daughter is in year 10 we are

expecting pr visa this year validating Easter next year and going

after her last GCSE as I want to give her as many options as

possible as after 2 years when she is 18 she could once receiving

Citizenship return to uk.

I expect she will settle in oz better than us and carry on with her

education in Oz!

I think I just feel for the sake of a few months it gives her more

choices.She is happy with this but upset to leave her friends.I

just hope she doesn't meet the love of her life prior to next year!!

Its hard to make these decisions

Good Luck

Nikki x
hi Nikki- where are you heading for?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:41 am

Hi Helinuk

We are going to Brisbane.

Where are you going to?

Nikki x
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Helinuk

We are going to Brisbane.

Where are you going to?

Nikki x
one day....to Melbourne
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:51 am

one day....to Melbourne

Are your kids happy about going?

I'm going to the emigration fayre on Sat too! Does your daughter

straighten her hair constantly too?

Nikki x
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Are your kids happy about going?

I'm going to the emigration fayre on Sat too! Does your daughter

straighten her hair constantly too?

Nikki x
OMG we ought to meet! yes she has even taken the straighteners on her French trip this week

yes she is fine with going.

we are going on Saturday too! we'll be in the 12-45 session then hope to meet "teach" and any others - any chance we could meet?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:08 am

OMG we ought to meet! yes she has even taken the straighteners on her French trip this week

yes she is fine with going.

we are going on Saturday too! we'll be in the 12-45 session then hope to meet "teach" and any others - any chance we could meet?
That would be great where are you meeting?

Nikki x
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default thanx

I don't have kids so my view maybe totally unaceptable with
Thanks for your reply it's great to hear from someone who's been there and done it, so to speak. I have talked to the children at length and my eldest (17) will have finished college so timing is perfect , my youngest (5) would go to the moon as long as she's with mum and dad but Tom (14) has one very close friend since 3 yrs old and I know he does want to be with me, but his education is very important to him and he's scared of messing it up by emigrating too soon. His dad will be here so he won't be without family, but being extremely selfish I don't want to leave my baby!!!!!
I know I have to leave it up to him but he is looking to me for guidance and advice and possibly someone to blame if it doesn't work out.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

For what it`s worth, I`ve been told from a friend who has lived in Melbourne for 13 years and has 3 teenage kids, that to have Australian qualifications would be more beneficial to British ones when looking for employment in Australia, as Australian employers would give the job to the person with the Aussie qualifications over the British ones.

Good luck

Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Marlo
For what it`s worth, I`ve been told from a friend who has lived in Melbourne for 13 years and has 3 teenage kids, that to have Australian qualifications would be more beneficial to British ones when looking for employment in Australia, as Australian employers would give the job to the person with the Aussie qualifications over the British ones.

Good luck
Marlo
OOhh I like that kind of advice if we get to the "shall I do a BTEC or go to TAFE" type discussion I'll quote you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.