Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids getting excited!

Kids getting excited!

Old Aug 21st 2004, 8:16 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids getting excited!

Our kids are aged,3,6&12 & are begining to get really excited & asking lots of questions about oz,im too scared to start harking on about the move & let myself become excited until i know for sure its really happening.
What the hell are we gona say if it does all fall through?
Whats your thoughts guys?
Donna
Old Aug 21st 2004, 8:43 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids getting excited!

Originally Posted by madsad
Our kids are aged,3,6&12 & are begining to get really excited & asking lots of questions about oz,im too scared to start harking on about the move & let myself become excited until i know for sure its really happening.
What the hell are we gona say if it does all fall through?
Whats your thoughts guys?
Donna

We're in the opposite situation. Our kids are 3 (twins) and are completely baffled by Australia and what we mean by saying we're moving there.

I've told them about the beaches and koalas, and not to touch snakes, so as far as I can tell they think we're going to a zoo in Clacton where they're gonna get attacked by a boa constrictor.

We tried not to get our hopes up before we got the visas, which turned out to be the wrong way of dealing with it as now we've got the visa's we're totally unprepared.

If there's no medical/ crime/ skill etc reason for not getting the visa's then it's pretty likely you're gonna be OK. (I'm assuming this is what you mean by 'until we know for sure') I guess it's just a fine line between preparing yourselves and them and keeping your feet on the ground....not easy though.

How long before you'll know?

Paul.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 9:36 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
We're in the opposite situation. Our kids are 3 (twins) and are completely baffled by Australia and what we mean by saying we're moving there.

I've told them about the beaches and koalas, and not to touch snakes, so as far as I can tell they think we're going to a zoo in Clacton where they're gonna get attacked by a boa constrictor.

We tried not to get our hopes up before we got the visas, which turned out to be the wrong way of dealing with it as now we've got the visa's we're totally unprepared.

If there's no medical/ crime/ skill etc reason for not getting the visa's then it's pretty likely you're gonna be OK. (I'm assuming this is what you mean by 'until we know for sure') I guess it's just a fine line between preparing yourselves and them and keeping your feet on the ground....not easy though.

Paul.
Thanx Diddy,
Theres not any reason our visa wont be issued,but you just never know with Dimia.Our eldest daughter wont be coming with us(shes 16 next month) & going on nearly a year now shes been living with her fathers parents-typical teenage stuff & way beyond.So yeah that is a problem on how dimia will view it.House is on the market,we want to be there for xmas& yes i want it so much ,im not holding back,i want so much to get carried away with the whole thing-but how do you explain the emotions to the kids,after all they take literally what mum & dad say?
Dont want to break my kids hearts "if i just go with the flow as they say"
How can anybody be sure?
Please be frank,be brutal,tell me what you think?
Donna.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 9:44 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly (and completely against what I did and my other half will take the p*ss when she reads this), sounds as though you're too far down the road now anyway. They're too excited, you're too excited, so if for some reason you don't get it then you're gonna be devastated anyway, even if you do try and keep you're feet on the ground.So prepare as if you're gonna go.

It's probably worth explaining to the kids that there's still a chance you won't be able to go, for what it's worth with kids.

When will you find out more?

Paul.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 10:36 pm

Frankly (and completely against what I did and my other half will take the p*ss when she reads this), sounds as though you're too far down the road now anyway. They're too excited, you're too excited, so if for some reason you don't get it then you're gonna be devastated anyway, even if you do try and keep you're feet on the ground.So prepare as if you're gonna go.

It's probably worth explaining to the kids that there's still a chance you won't be able to go, for what it's worth with kids.

When will you find out more?

Paul.
We are told to expect visas oct/Nov time?
Try to put dampners on kids excitment & be as upfront as poss!
Kids are kids, u know what they are like,live for today etc...
love the attitude,wish i could live it!
Donna.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 10:41 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by madsad
We are told to expect visas oct/Nov time?
Try to put dampners on kids excitment & be as upfront as poss!
Kids are kids, u know what they are like,live for today etc...
love the attitude,wish i could live it!
Donna.
Ditto.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
Hi Paul, where in Suffolk are you? I live inbetween Colchester and Sudbury and I'm moving with hub and 3 kids ages 8 7 and 5 on Friday!!!! Our littlens helped build a website including useful ozzie facts. Even if we decide not to stay, they've learnt something!! Good luck