Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids with dyspraxia, dyslexia, ADHD etc..

Kids with dyspraxia, dyslexia, ADHD etc..

Old May 23rd 2005, 1:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids with dyspraxia, dyslexia, ADHD etc..

If you have got kids with learning needs on the autistic spectrum this might be of use?? I spoke to a lady today from here.....

http://www.ddat.com.au/index.html

Has anyone used this/ is using this for their kids?? Or has anyone you know tryed it and how was it?? I think a client of mine in the UK was using a similar thing with succes but i left before the completion of the programme.

Also.. does anyone get any form of school support for their child overhere??

Thanks.xx
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Kids with dyspraxia, dyslexia, ADHD etc..

Originally Posted by hevs
If you have got kids with learning needs on the autistic spectrum this might be of use?? I spoke to a lady today from here.....

Has anyone used this/ is using this for their kids?? Or has anyone you know tryed it and how was it?? I think a client of mine in the UK was using a similar thing with succes but i left before the completion of the programme.

Thanks.xx
Hi there Hevs

Our son has ADHD and we got in touch with them here in the UK. We were a little concerned with the effectiveness that it may have on children with ADHD as he developed the system for his daughter who has Dyslexia which is completely different to ADHD. The system is quite expensive here (approx £2000), so for us at the moment is prohibitive. We may look at it again when we get to Oz as we know they have offices there as well. In principle it sounds very good, but children with ADHD have concentration problems and with this system you have to get your child to do a range of exercises for 10 minutes (I think it is 10min) every day, which is very difficult for us. The exercises are tailor made for each child depending on the results of the testing which determines which part of the brain is not functioning. As far as I am aware there is no accepted medical/scientific studies to back up the results, but I could be wrong.

Hope that has helped

Sarah
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Hi there Hevs

Our son has ADHD and we got in touch with them here in the UK. We were a little concerned with the effectiveness that it may have on children with ADHD as he developed the system for his daughter who has Dyslexia which is completely different to ADHD. The system is quite expensive here (approx £2000), so for us at the moment is prohibitive. We may look at it again when we get to Oz as we know they have offices there as well. In principle it sounds very good, but children with ADHD have concentration problems and with this system you have to get your child to do a range of exercises for 10 minutes (I think it is 10min) every day, which is very difficult for us. The exercises are tailor made for each child depending on the results of the testing which determines which part of the brain is not functioning. As far as I am aware there is no accepted medical/scientific studies to back up the results, but I could be wrong.

Hope that has helped

Sarah
Thanks for that Sarah.

I think its a way of re training the brain isn't it?? My son has ADD (on top of the others!!) and some days is soooo grim with lack of concentration 10 mins would break him. However if anyones tried it and got results i would much pref ere this to the alternatives (ie nothing)
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Thanks for that Sarah.

I think its a way of re training the brain isn't it?? My son has ADD (on top of the others!!) and some days is soooo grim with lack of concentration 10 mins would break him. However if anyones tried it and got results i would much pref ere this to the alternatives (ie nothing)
Hevs

Where abouts are you and how have you found the schooling for your children. I have had another look at the website and I have to say that I think we will definitely give the system a try. When I phoned them, they were more than happy to let me come in and see how the system works and speak to parents, etc. so it did seem all open and above board. I agree it has to be better than doing nothing. They sent me a video that was very compelling.

Sarah
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Hevs

Where abouts are you and how have you found the schooling for your children. I have had another look at the website and I have to say that I think we will definitely give the system a try. When I phoned them, they were more than happy to let me come in and see how the system works and speak to parents, etc. so it did seem all open and above board. I agree it has to be better than doing nothing. They sent me a video that was very compelling.

Sarah
I'm in the S/E of Melbourne. I have asked for the DVD (we get better technology here it would seem) to be sent today so i'll see where they are around us.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Hi all

A friend of mine has a son who was diagnosed with Dyslexia two years ago. She put him on the DDAT program and she is very pleased with the results. It took around a year and I think, cost about £1000.

My son is dyspraxic and I have just used a very diiferent approach - "The Journey". The website is www.thejourney.co.uk The changes in him are incredible and just after one session! So much more confidence and awareness.

I had been thinking about doing the DDAT in Oz, but am now entirely swayed to the Journey.

Also, have any of you changed your children's diets and/or added supplements? There is a brilliant GP who has studied nutritional medicine as well and has done a thesis on ADD/ADHD kids. He is based in West Sussex. Highly recommended.

Regards
Michele
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Hi all

A friend of mine has a son who was diagnosed with Dyslexia two years ago. She put him on the DDAT program and she is very pleased with the results. It took around a year and I think, cost about £1000.

My son is dyspraxic and I have just used a very diiferent approach - "The Journey". The website is www.thejourney.co.uk The changes in him are incredible and just after one session! So much more confidence and awareness.

I had been thinking about doing the DDAT in Oz, but am now entirely swayed to the Journey.

Also, have any of you changed your children's diets and/or added supplements? There is a brilliant GP who has studied nutritional medicine as well and has done a thesis on ADD/ADHD kids. He is based in West Sussex. Highly recommended.

Regards
Michele
Who is the person in west sussex - is he based in Horsham by any chance.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:05 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Thanks Michelle, i will check out the journey from overhere if i can find it.

Re the dietry thing i had the good fortune to meet this lady during a dyspraxia seminar in Oxford

http://www.fabresearch.org/view_item.aspx?item_id=473

She was amazing and i learnt heaps. The diet has a huge effect on these kids and it really saddens me when people don't take it into account and dismiss it out of hand

http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/st...n=254858426792
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a child in my 2nd born's class who has recently been diagnosed as dyspraxic (sp). The mother thinks that because he has been diagnosed, that is all she has to do Through no fault of his own, he is disrupting the class badly but all she says is that "it's ok the secondary school he will go to in 18 months has a special needs department". Not prepared to try fish oils, diet, anything. Very sad and very frustrating.
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Hi again

Yes, he was based in Horsham and now has a practice in Crawley. Note from your timeline that you have a South African link, so perhaps you know him - he is South African!

Moneypen, people like that mother you mentioned REALLY REALLY infuriate me. Not only is the child disrupting all the other kids, but SHE is also stuffing up his future! I've got on my soapbox now!!!

Michele
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Moneypen, people like that mother you mentioned REALLY REALLY infuriate me. Not only is the child disrupting all the other kids, but SHE is also stuffing up his future! I've got on my soapbox now!!!

Michele
Tell me about it. He is such a lovely lad deep down but the crap side of the dyspraxia has it hidden so well. I help out once a week and although I understand, I find it so frustrating dealing with him - not the most patient person in the world

We have given her names of people who can help, dietary info, the lot, but she just shrugs :scared:
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Isn't it amazing that anyone can have kids, yet those who would love to adopt them go through such a strict process?

This mother seems so apathetic and it does seem as though she is being given guidance, yet refuses to do anything. Obviously I cannot judge from here, but . . . . !

Thank goodness my son is such a mild dyspraxic - more lack of self confidence and poor motor skills, not so much of the disruptiveness. Away in his own world half the time!!

Michele
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:16 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Tand although I understand, I find it so frustrating dealing with him - not the most patient person in the world

:
You wanna try being a parent or sibling, the word frustration is used frequently in our house. When i get very stressed by it i try to step back and imagine how frustrating it must be for my son, that kinda puts it into perspective.

We all know of apathetic parents, again frustrating, however sometimes the challenge of bringing up a child with learning difficulties is so gargantuan, that facing yet another line of "will this really do anything and where the hell do i start" can be just one too many things to deal with Not an excuse, but a reason for sure.

Good luck to all of you who face this daily
Old May 24th 2005, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

Thanks.xx
Hevs

thanks for that link, have also asked for dvd. son is dyspraxic, however it does slightly improve as they get older, especially physically ( he is 13 ) homework is still a nightmare with regards to concentration.

Caz
Old May 24th 2005, 1:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hevs, Debsy was asking me about that site just last week! I don't know if she found out anymore about it.

"Frustrating" is probably the understatement of the year. For any of you that watched "The Nanny" last week (not last nights, last weeks with the 4 kids that spat & destroyed the house etc), I say "Welcome to my world" .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.