Kids Car seats

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids Car seats

Does anyone know what the rules are about kids car seats in OZ?

And do airlines let you put them in hold in addition to your baggage allowance (like buggies)

Trying to decide whether to take them or not (three of them!)

Safin
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kids Car seats

Do a search as there are loads of threads about this. Australia has different rules to the UK and I don't think it is legal to use them there.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

you are only allowed to take certain car seat on the plane (for child to sit in, in plane seat) or did you mean as luggage?
My sis just had to buy a new one specially for the flight!
Prob not worth it anyway the car seat laws are very different in oz
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I meant take them as luggage not to use on plane.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok now I am very confused.

I've looked through old threads and on various Oz websites.

I can see definate differences with baby and toddler seats but what about booster seats (with backs) and booster cushions both for use with lap and diagonal (sash) belts only? Can I use UK ones of these without being illegal/invalidating insurance? If they are identical I'd hate to have to replace all 3

Is there any where I can get a definative answer
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Ok now I am very confused.

I've looked through old threads and on various Oz websites.

I can see definate differences with baby and toddler seats but what about booster seats (with backs) and booster cushions both for use with lap and diagonal (sash) belts only? Can I use UK ones of these without being illegal/invalidating insurance? If they are identical I'd hate to have to replace all 3

Is there any where I can get a definative answer
UK seats are not legal here. Get Aussie ones when you get here. Easy as.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

well I guess that's sorted then.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:16 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

booster seats are fine it is just full car seats as they have to be bolted into the car with a special harness i bought my sons out here and it is actually safer than the ones here as not all the booster seats here have the anti-submarining wings. So if yours have the wings they are better than the ones in Australia

poshrice
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I think the concensus is UK seats are safer. There seems to be varying opinions on the legality of UK booster (not baby) seats though. I've e-mailed Queensland road safety at the transport dept of the gov there for a definative answer re legal and recommended issues. If I get a reply I'llpost it here. Til then I am inclined to take the seats.

What about taking them as luggage on planes ? Is it part of you allowance or in addition? Anyone know?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:32 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

We took ours actually on the plane and thomas travelled in it although we recently flew virigin blue and he couldn't use it then. We were allowed to stow it in the hold without it affecting our allowance.

Poshrice
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ta, we aren't gonna need them on the plane (ages 3 5 7) but need all our luggage for clothes etc

Safin
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...sked_questions

Does say they need to be Australian approved.