kicked out

Old May 12th 2009, 9:43 pm
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of
Default kicked out

Just found out yesterday we are to be kicked out of our rental 4 weeks early due to a mistake on the lease which states we have a 6 month rental starting from jan14th and ends june14th which is 5 months, agent says owner wants to end renting so we will have to vacate before that date even though lease also states 6 months which should be july 14th.

Anyone encountered this before.
Old May 12th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: kicked out

Didn't you check the lease when you signed it? It would have been much easier to have it corrected at the beginning rather than four months in. Basically both parties have signed a contract that contains an error, your landlord wants to interpret the error one way, you want to interpret it another. As a five month lease would be non standard (they are generally, though not always, six or twelve) I would argue that the mistake is clearly in the end date rather than the length of the lease. If the agency prepared the lease for signature it would be their mistake so you could tell the agency that it is between them and the landlord to work out what the landlord will do about THEIR carelessness; nothing to do with you. If they get shitty contact the tenants advisory service, I have clarified things with them in the past (I did my legal training in the UK) and found them really helpful.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by krunchynutt
Just found out yesterday we are to be kicked out of our rental 4 weeks early due to a mistake on the lease which states we have a 6 month rental starting from jan14th and ends june14th which is 5 months, agent says owner wants to end renting so we will have to vacate before that date even though lease also states 6 months which should be july 14th.

Contact the Residential Tenancy Authority - they are extremely helpful with matters such as this. http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/

They really helped us out when the landlord was trying to do the dirty on us in our last house.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:01 am
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Didn't you check the lease when you signed it? It would have been much easier to have it corrected at the beginning rather than four months in. Basically both parties have signed a contract that contains an error, your landlord wants to interpret the error one way, you want to interpret it another. As a five month lease would be non standard (they are generally, though not always, six or twelve) I would argue that the mistake is clearly in the end date rather than the length of the lease. If the agency prepared the lease for signature it would be their mistake so you could tell the agency that it is between them and the landlord to work out what the landlord will do about THEIR carelessness; nothing to do with you. If they get shitty contact the tenants advisory service, I have clarified things with them in the past (I did my legal training in the UK) and found them really helpful.
Thanks for advice,

I did read the lease but missed the date, I just noticed the 6 months part as there was lots of other parts to read.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:53 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krunchynutt

I would go back to the agent and tell them that you signed for a 6 month lease and just because the agent incorrectly and incompetently wrote the wrong end date does not mean you have to leave on the earlier date. Mention that if you find somewhere else more suitable in the mean time you will move earlier if that suits you.

Agents know that if tenants stick their heels in they can not remove them from a property for months even if the tenants dont pay rent at all.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Landlords seem to be able to do what they like here.

However i agree the residential tenancy people are excellent and will be able to assist. Good luck.