Reload this Page >

Key Selection Criteria....

Key Selection Criteria....

Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Key Selection Criteria....

What is with that???

I cannot believe the load of crap Companies expect you to write when answering the most rediculous Selection Criteria!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want a job now so I dont have to spend days on one application!!! You spend so much time putting together the best possible CV you can...and is it enough? No!!! They give you anywhere from 8 to 15 selection criteria that you have to do several paragraphs to each one....

It would be ok, if you could transfer from one application to another...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....they just have to reword the criteria so you have to start from scratch over and over............

Sorry!! Rant over.......

~muttergrumblecurse~

I need a
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Key Selection Criteria....

Originally Posted by Hels
What is with that???

I cannot believe the load of crap Companies expect you to write when answering the most rediculous Selection Criteria!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want a job now so I dont have to spend days on one application!!! You spend so much time putting together the best possible CV you can...and is it enough? No!!! They give you anywhere from 8 to 15 selection criteria that you have to do several paragraphs to each one....

It would be ok, if you could transfer from one application to another...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....they just have to reword the criteria so you have to start from scratch over and over............

Sorry!! Rant over.......

~muttergrumblecurse~

I need a
Yeah, I understand, I've been doing selection criteria all day as well. I can understand it from the companies point of view though, it shows you are serious and spend time on the application, rather than just firing of CVs randomly.

BUT, I really hate the management speak in slection criteria, and also how they ask for the earth in them.

An example:

Must be able to plan strategically, work tactically, think creatively and achieve results.

I mean really,

I've done so many of them now, I can usually cut and paste huge chunks from previous BS I've written

Cheers,
JTL
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:29 am
ABCDiamond

What is with that???

The government ones are bad aswell, even for internal transfers !!
I had to help my wife with one recently. It put me off wanting to work completely.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The government ones are bad aswell, even for internal transfers !!
I had to help my wife with one recently. It put me off wanting to work completely.

Oh, I know how bad they are!!! Having worked for the Government here for 13 yrs!!

However, back then...it was usually ONLY the Government used the Selection Criteria way of screening applicants....

They sure have ALOT to answer for!!

This particular PD I got emailed to me has 16 essential Criteria and 4 desirable...

Tell me that isnt overkill????
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Def. something noticeable on all the job ads I look at online is all the things your supposed to be able to do, despite already doing the job here and thinking "what are they on about?" management speak b*llocks, "thinking outside the box" etc.

I'm a fekkin draftsman for gawd's sake!
More about drawing the box than thinking outside it!

I work agency over here and you basically turn up for interviews, have a chat where the interviewer has your CV from the agent, tells what the work is and how long it's for, you might show him examples of your work, and a lot of the time it's down to you wether you will accept the job!
If you're rubbish they fire you after a week having seen your work.

I realise staff positions are harder to get, 2nd interview etc. but wondered wether the agency situation is the same there i.e. no lengthy forms, selection criteria bullsh*t etc.

Part of our plan when we go was for me to go staff/salaried for the paid hols etc. but TBH I'm starting to think it would be far less hassle and far more cash to stay agency!

Andy.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cadman
Def. something noticeable on all the job ads I look at online is all the things your supposed to be able to do, despite already doing the job here and thinking "what are they on about?" management speak b*llocks, "thinking outside the box" etc.

I'm a fekkin draftsman for gawd's sake!
More about drawing the box than thinking outside it!

I work agency over here and you basically turn up for interviews, have a chat where the interviewer has your CV from the agent, tells what the work is and how long it's for, you might show him examples of your work, and a lot of the time it's down to you wether you will accept the job!
If you're rubbish they fire you after a week having seen your work.

I realise staff positions are harder to get, 2nd interview etc. but wondered wether the agency situation is the same there i.e. no lengthy forms, selection criteria bullsh*t etc.

Part of our plan when we go was for me to go staff/salaried for the paid hols etc. but TBH I'm starting to think it would be far less hassle and far more cash to stay agency!

Andy.

Just remember however, over here...Agency staff dont get holiday pay at all!! Although they do tend to get more per hour than perm staff, unlike the UK.

I am beginning to think I might become a permanent temp just so I dont have to worry about the whole selection criteria rubbish!!!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Just remember however, over here...Agency staff dont get holiday pay at all!! Although they do tend to get more per hour than perm staff, unlike the UK.

I am beginning to think I might become a permanent temp just so I dont have to worry about the whole selection criteria rubbish!!!

I have never had holiday pay as temp staff. Hence had v. few holidays in the last 15 years. I planned to change that by going permanent in OZ as my wife will be a qualified nurse and so I'd be able to afford to work perm.

In my game here in the UK, temp = £20/hour, perm = £25k p.a.

Same in OZ, temp = $50/hour, perm = $65k p.a.

You get paid extra temp. vs. perm. to make up for the relative lack of security (which only means you get 1 weeks notice rather than 1 month!), lack of benefits e.g. company pension, BUPA etc. and the absence of paid holidays / sick pay.

Maybe my industry is the exception but I tell you what, if the pay was the same for temp. as perm. then I would be perm without a shadow of a doubt, even with all the Key Selection Criteria / whatever.

Andy.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:06 am
ABCDiamond

I wonder if that is part of the reason that so many people aren't full time employees.
I never went through that sort of "selection criteria" when I was an employee here for a while, so my experience of it is limited to say the least.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Private organizations are probably all different, but for government jobs here in QLD you have to do selection criteria even for temporary positions. Pain in the butt...

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cadman
I have never had holiday pay as temp staff. Hence had v. few holidays in the last 15 years. I planned to change that by going permanent in OZ as my wife will be a qualified nurse and so I'd be able to afford to work perm.

But temps are covered by the Working Time Directive and are, by law, entitled to 20 days paid holidays each year.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

But temps are covered by the Working Time Directive and are, by law, entitled to 20 days paid holidays each year.

In the UK?
In my game they get round that by paying you a small amount each week as "holiday pay". Don't ask me how that works but it means you don't have to take holidays. Or they deduct a small amount from your money each week and then when you are off they pay it back. It's paid holidays but you are essentially paying yourself !

Andy
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:52 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Plagiarized from whereever:

Quite often, job applications are made up of a series of selection criteria. Use the S.T.A.R. technique in answering them.

SITUATION
TASKS
ACTIONS
RESULTS

an example -

Selection criteria - Demonstrated ability to clean staff toilets.

Situation - From Oct 2000 to feb 2002 i was employed by telstra in their janitorial department

Task- During this time i was required to clean the staff toilets.

Actions - I was requred to use and am experianced in the use of the relevant cleaning agents, floor polishers and security arrangments.

Results - As a result I was commended on 3 occasions for the spotlessness of the dunnys and have a demonstarted ability to maitain all the relevant aspects of the position.

Everyone except self agrandizing personnel department empire builders know it is bull. Get a proper job if you can.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

As a result I was commended on 3 occasions for the spotlessness of the dunnys

Everyone except self agrandizing personnel department empire builders know it is bull. Get a proper job if you can.[/QUOTE]

What kind of world do we live in?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

So do all jobs have these selection criterias attached to the application form or only for certain professions e.g. marketing manager !

What is the most ridiculous over the top application you've had to fill in for the most menial job e.g. toilet cleaner ! or shop assistant / whatever

What % of professional jobs would you say have these K.S.C.'s ?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steandleigh
What kind of world do we live in?
I know! I was thinking the UK was full of PC bullshit and longed for the straightforward, call a spade a spade Aussie life.

Now I find out that it's just as bad if not worse than here!

Andy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.