Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping up with the UK curriculum in Australia

Keeping up with the UK curriculum in Australia

Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping up with the UK curriculum in Australia

Originally Posted by PENNY45
I'll just tell my husband not to take the next job he gets posted to shall I?

The original question was 'how can I stop them falling behind'. Well if they are put in years to fit with their age group then they will be behind.

I would never ask for her to be put up for 'status' reasons! (can't find that post to insert here).

If you are staying in Australia for the entire length of your child's education then all well and good but some of us don't have that luxury.
Not at all but there comes a time when you have to question if you all stay put rather than follow him. My husband has just gone to work overseas and we decided, after much discussion, that the kids and I would remain in Australia. I have a 14 year old daughter and it would be catastrophic to move her now both socially and academically.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you are staying in Australia for the entire length of your child's education then all well and good but some of us don't have that luxury.
Actually we do. We all have to decide what our priorities are.

I'm not judging you so take this however you like.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
That must make it really hard for you... Uncertainties like that arent always easy to live with and so I perhaps understand a bit better why you want to "keep up" with the uk education system and be striving to meet the targets they set in the uk rather than adapting to the local culture....

Maybe Home Educating would be a better option... That way your kids can still get a uk standards/target based education AND have a life too... I had visions of your poor children being in school all day then doing English schoolwork all night
Home Schooling?? I'm not mad you know . I don't get anything sent over from the UK for them either. Mine are at a private school here (fees are eye-watering!) and know what you mean about a little bit of Britain. On the whole I'm happy with it but my elder daughter tells me her German lessons are about 2 years behind UK

Northernbird - know what you mean academically, we'll have to see and assess when the next move comes up, but socially will be fine. Any place we're likely to be posted to they have good pals (as do I :-))
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

What about finding a school that does the International Baccalaureate program?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
+1
The curriculum wouldn't change and as the IB is recognised by all universities, the children will have a choice.

If I can afford it (and the stoopids that run the country at any given time can't get their act together by the time my eldest goes to secondary school), I will certainly send my kids to a school that offers the IB. It would be really nice if it were a local public school, but failing that, a local private school will do. Off to buy a lottery ticket then...
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Home Schooling?? I'm not mad you know . I don't get anything sent over from the UK for them either. Mine are at a private school here (fees are eye-watering!) and know what you mean about a little bit of Britain. On the whole I'm happy with it but my elder daughter tells me her German lessons are about 2 years behind UK

Northernbird - know what you mean academically, we'll have to see and assess when the next move comes up, but socially will be fine. Any place we're likely to be posted to they have good pals (as do I :-))
Oops... Sorry ... Got you mixed up with the original poster... In my defence I was the victim of a Ninja Cat attack at stoopid o clock this morning.... Being woken suddenly like that gives me a huge adrenaline rush... Flight or fight response.... and I couldnt get back to sleep ...

If I didnt have to work I would consider home educating child number 3, but only because she's motivated, bright and picks stuff up so quickly... She would be a joy to learn stuff with.... The others would have been hard bloody work IMHO....
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Got one just up the road from me.

King Khaled College.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Actually we do. We all have to decide what our priorities are.

I'm not judging you so take this however you like.
Think you are actually but I couldn't care less
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Think you are actually but I couldn't care less
I wasn't (each to their own and I don't need you to believe me) but CF=0

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 27th 2012 at 5:20 am.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:26 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I wouldn't worry too much. Our daughters have moved from the UK to Aus, to UK to Aus to UK and are doing just fine. They are now 17, 15 and 13.
The only time you need to stay put is when they start the exam years. There are differences, but children soon catch on and adapt and those differences can happen between schools in the same country (as we've just found out having had to move within the UK last year).

Relax and focus on the positives of giving your children different life experiences which, we have found, are hugely beneficial for them.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so much falling behind but being a year behind in school. The primary school my daughter went to age 5 wouldn't take her a year earlier despite being told we were going back into the British system at some point. Moved to an international school and then she had to skip a whole year (luckily this worked out ok). Coming back to Aus, it looked as though she would have to repeat half of year 5 and ALL of year 6. All the schools (private) said she would have to but when we went to meet the head of primary she gave her a test and agreed she could stay in her current year. This does mean though that she's 12 and in year 8, she's the youngest by miles. What age is your oldest child?
My son was aged 12 in year 8, he's now in year 10. I think you'll find quite a mix of ages throughout the years.