Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

keeping a UK bank account open

keeping a UK bank account open

Old May 22nd 2006, 10:34 pm
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough
Default keeping a UK bank account open

Hi,

Just wondering if you have kept a UK bank account open, have you changed your address to OZ if so do they mind if not what have you done for your address?

DC
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:37 pm
Rocket Man

Andycroswell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: keeping a UK bank account open

I have a lloydstsb account 4 years after emigrating.
they are happy to mail statements to aus, but recently I choose the option of no statements and being able to view them using on line banking.

Banks have no problems with sending statements abroad.

Great for UK rellies to put in Xmas money etc for Gran kids
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we have kept our UK bank account open, and addresses are registered as Oz.
Never been a hassle (well except when I am in UK and have forgotten my PIN!!!)

We even get gross interest on our accounts by completing non-resident forms...
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Its Pam, I kept my account open at my old address and have had the post forwarded by royal mail. Its becoming a pain now though as the forwarding ends soon and they won't allow me to change my address to an OZ one, so am now about to change my address to my parents so they can forward statements etc to me. Am hoping to be able to close the account sometime this year so I can get the UK tax office off my back too. (Oh yes, you have to fill in flippin UK tax returns for as long as you have a UK bank account)
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I still have HSBC and use their internet banking which has been great. Its helpful to send money in both directions etc. They have my mums address, so haven't advised them of move.

Tracey
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:41 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We are with St James Bank and whilst they allow you to change your address to Australia you then cannot view your accounts online for security reasons! We have used the Inlaws address in the UK for statements etc.
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:44 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

I still have HSBC and use their internet banking which has been great. Its helpful to send money in both directions etc. They have my mums address, so haven't advised them of move.

Tracey
Same here. Left HSBC accounts open and using MIL's address which helps for somewhere to get new cards sent. Cancelled statements and just use online options. Great to be able to use for holidays. Push money across with Tranzfers, easy as 123.
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Same here. Left HSBC accounts open and using MIL's address which helps for somewhere to get new cards sent. Cancelled statements and just use online options. Great to be able to use for holidays. Push money across with Tranzfers, easy as 123.
We have both Alliance and Leicester and HSBC accounts. Address is my parents, although we haven't tried to make it an Oz one. The rent from our house goes into the A&L, and the mortgage and insurance comes out - nice and easy. Internet banking's great! Plus we can use it for when we're over there.

Although I'd like to know more about Tranzfers - didn't come accross them when I was looking for a way to move money over the pond, and had to put it onto credit card here, then take it off over there.
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:29 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thribble
We have both Alliance and Leicester and HSBC accounts. Address is my parents, although we haven't tried to make it an Oz one. The rent from our house goes into the A&L, and the mortgage and insurance comes out - nice and easy. Internet banking's great! Plus we can use it for when we're over there.

Although I'd like to know more about Tranzfers - didn't come accross them when I was looking for a way to move money over the pond, and had to put it onto credit card here, then take it off over there.
Tranzfers offer a cheap and simple method of transferring money from UK to Oz accounts and vice versa.
Sign up at http://tranzfers.com/ or you could use me as a referrer and I get a bonus point (gedge refers).

You set up your from and to account details, then specify how much you want to transfer and when. Then send them the money and within a few days the deal is done. It is really simple. Costs £7 from the UK or $15 from Oz, flat rate no more to pay.

I'm not sure but you may get a better rate if it's a large amount by using another company like Ozforex or Hifx.
Old May 23rd 2006, 5:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have kept our First Direct accounts open and they have our Aus address. No problem. We asked for no statements and still move money via the net. We have transferred two lots of money from there to here so far and used FD each time, they gave us just as good a rate if not better than the major forex players.

To make big transfers we do have to phone them but have a cheapo card so that doesn't matter and they gave us a special id to quote each time.
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays and Nationwide each send statements to me in Oz. Cahoot wouldn't - so no Cahoot account now!
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: keeping a UK bank account open

Do any of these banks make any extra charges for sending statements overseas etc?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Nationwide allow you to have an Oz address at no extra cost, you just need to set the account up with a UK one and then you can change it.

You can also withdraw cash in Oz ATM's for no charge
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Do any of these banks make any extra charges for sending statements overseas etc?

Cheers

Buzzy
Nope!

I should imagine that Barclays is quite happy - I keep a chunk in their current account paying nothing in interest just for the convenience of being able to buy the odd thing or two.
Old May 25th 2006, 3:19 am
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wol
Nope!

I should imagine that Barclays is quite happy - I keep a chunk in their current account paying nothing in interest just for the convenience of being able to buy the odd thing or two.

Thanks all,

DC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.