British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Keeping Bank Account in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/keeping-bank-account-uk-446371/)

naifyboy May 1st 2007 10:08 am

Keeping Bank Account in UK

Can anyone tell me who i can open a bank account in the UK with that will allow for internal access from oz?

this will be used for family members in the UK putting in gift cash etc, etc

Rachel1978 May 1st 2007 10:10 am

Re: Keeping Bank Account in UK

I haven't used them myself but HSBC is supposed to be good. You can use branches of the post office in australia to make withdrawals etc.

lucy.summers May 1st 2007 10:11 am

Originally Posted by naifyboy (Post 4722402)
Can anyone tell me who i can open a bank account in the UK with that will allow for internal access from oz?

We've kept our HSBC account open - changed address to australia and sgined some form so that we don't pay tax. Been great for family members to be able to pay money into for birthdays and christmas etc and means we have a reserve of stirling in UK for when we come over in November - kept our switch cards etc so should be a breeze.

lucy.summers May 1st 2007 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Rachel1978 (Post 4722412)
I haven't used them myself but HSBC is supposed to be good. You can use branches of the post office in australia to make withdrawals etc.

But only from HSBC Australia accounts

naifyboy May 1st 2007 10:12 am

thanks very much - will look into HSBC

lucy.summers May 1st 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by naifyboy (Post 4722422)
thanks very much - will look into HSBC

Just to point out though - it's not a mixed currency account - i.e. you can still access your internet banking etc from over here but it is just a UK stirling account and you'll still have to transfer the money into an australian account if you want to use it as dollars.

naifyboy May 1st 2007 10:15 am

Originally Posted by lucy.summers (Post 4722430)
Just to point out though - it's not a mixed currency account - i.e. you can still access your internet banking etc from over here but it is just a UK stirling account and you'll still have to transfer the money into an australian account if you want to use it as dollars.

cool - thanks

FRAYNE May 1st 2007 10:33 am

Hi havent got a recommendation but we have a flexi account and a internet account with Nationwide and someone managed to hack into the internet account a couple of months ago and take £25,000 pounds :sneaky: they were very good and paid it back within the week :eek:
Janet

Pomster May 1st 2007 11:18 am

we kept our First Direct account in UK and have opened a HSBC one here.

Transfers between FD and here cost 10quid and can take up to 3 days, but generally take less. So far we have found the service to be pretty good.

nik04 May 1st 2007 12:58 pm

I kept my natwest going in the UK and just changed the address to my mums address in the UK, when money is put in i just use my cash card in any hole in the wall in oz. I can check my balance online too, got my new card in the post from mum 3 months ago :D

h2oskineil May 1st 2007 1:04 pm

We use First Direct and have done for years.
Never had a complaint. Transfers from the UK into our Oz accounts are just £10 per transaction.

Sam May 1st 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by lucy.summers (Post 4722417)
We've kept our HSBC account open - changed address to australia and sgined some form so that we don't pay tax. Been great for family members to be able to pay money into for birthdays and christmas etc and means we have a reserve of stirling in UK for when we come over in November - kept our switch cards etc so should be a breeze.

We did this but our account is with LLoydsTSB inc credit card with them too!!!
Watch the Halifax, they don't like you keeping an account in the UK if you reside overseas!!!!!

LLoyds are ok with it, changed our add to over here and have spoken to them several times all ok

Jerseygirl May 1st 2007 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by alan and sam (Post 4723055)
We did this but our account is with LLoydsTSB inc credit card with them too!!!
Watch the Halifax, they don't like you keeping an account in the UK if you reside overseas!!!!!

LLoyds are ok with it, changed our add to over here and have spoken to them several times all ok

Never had a problem with the Halifax...they've sent all correspondence to our US address for 11 years...Nat West too.

Sam May 1st 2007 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4723061)
Never had a problem with the Halifax...they've sent all correspondence to our US address for 11 years...Nat West too.

They have a notice on their web site that their bank accounts are for UK residents only!!

I still have an account with them but i have a UK address as well, so just have the account registered at that address

Jerseygirl May 1st 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by alan and sam (Post 4723095)
They have a notice on their web site that their bank accounts are for UK residents only!!

I still have an account with them but i have a UK address as well, so just have the account registered at that address

I know it's stated in their Terms and Conditions that accounts are for UK residents only. I've never had a problem...they have my US phone no and have even called me here.