Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping Bank Account in UK

Keeping Bank Account in UK

Old May 1st 2007, 10:08 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Default Keeping Bank Account in UK

Can anyone tell me who i can open a bank account in the UK with that will allow for internal access from oz?

this will be used for family members in the UK putting in gift cash etc, etc
Old May 1st 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping Bank Account in UK

I haven't used them myself but HSBC is supposed to be good. You can use branches of the post office in australia to make withdrawals etc.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by naifyboy
Can anyone tell me who i can open a bank account in the UK with that will allow for internal access from oz?

We've kept our HSBC account open - changed address to australia and sgined some form so that we don't pay tax. Been great for family members to be able to pay money into for birthdays and christmas etc and means we have a reserve of stirling in UK for when we come over in November - kept our switch cards etc so should be a breeze.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
I haven't used them myself but HSBC is supposed to be good. You can use branches of the post office in australia to make withdrawals etc.
But only from HSBC Australia accounts
Old May 1st 2007, 10:12 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

thanks very much - will look into HSBC
Old May 1st 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

thanks very much - will look into HSBC
Just to point out though - it's not a mixed currency account - i.e. you can still access your internet banking etc from over here but it is just a UK stirling account and you'll still have to transfer the money into an australian account if you want to use it as dollars.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:15 am
What am I doing??!!

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Just to point out though - it's not a mixed currency account - i.e. you can still access your internet banking etc from over here but it is just a UK stirling account and you'll still have to transfer the money into an australian account if you want to use it as dollars.
cool - thanks
Old May 1st 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi havent got a recommendation but we have a flexi account and a internet account with Nationwide and someone managed to hack into the internet account a couple of months ago and take £25,000 pounds they were very good and paid it back within the week
Janet
Old May 1st 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we kept our First Direct account in UK and have opened a HSBC one here.

Transfers between FD and here cost 10quid and can take up to 3 days, but generally take less. So far we have found the service to be pretty good.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

I kept my natwest going in the UK and just changed the address to my mums address in the UK, when money is put in i just use my cash card in any hole in the wall in oz. I can check my balance online too, got my new card in the post from mum 3 months ago
Old May 1st 2007, 1:04 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

We use First Direct and have done for years.
Never had a complaint. Transfers from the UK into our Oz accounts are just £10 per transaction.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:08 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
We've kept our HSBC account open - changed address to australia and sgined some form so that we don't pay tax. Been great for family members to be able to pay money into for birthdays and christmas etc and means we have a reserve of stirling in UK for when we come over in November - kept our switch cards etc so should be a breeze.
We did this but our account is with LLoydsTSB inc credit card with them too!!!
Watch the Halifax, they don't like you keeping an account in the UK if you reside overseas!!!!!

LLoyds are ok with it, changed our add to over here and have spoken to them several times all ok
Old May 1st 2007, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
We did this but our account is with LLoydsTSB inc credit card with them too!!!
Watch the Halifax, they don't like you keeping an account in the UK if you reside overseas!!!!!

LLoyds are ok with it, changed our add to over here and have spoken to them several times all ok
Never had a problem with the Halifax...they've sent all correspondence to our US address for 11 years...Nat West too.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:18 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Never had a problem with the Halifax...they've sent all correspondence to our US address for 11 years...Nat West too.
They have a notice on their web site that their bank accounts are for UK residents only!!

I still have an account with them but i have a UK address as well, so just have the account registered at that address
Old May 1st 2007, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
They have a notice on their web site that their bank accounts are for UK residents only!!

I still have an account with them but i have a UK address as well, so just have the account registered at that address
I know it's stated in their Terms and Conditions that accounts are for UK residents only. I've never had a problem...they have my US phone no and have even called me here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.