Karratha

Old May 17th 2010, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Boykos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Karratha

Hi
Can anyone give me info on Karratha please? I know its hot but i need info on schools, things to do etc
Many thanks
Deb
Old May 17th 2010, 1:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Karratha

Originally Posted by Boykos
Hi
Can anyone give me info on Karratha please? I know its hot but i need info on schools, things to do etc
Many thanks
Deb
I think it would be a huge decision to move your family there - it is definitely a rough and ready 'frontier' town. It's also very expensive, so unless your employer is picking up a lot of the tab then you might struggle financially. Saying that, it will be getting a lot (and I mean a lot) of development and is only going to get better.

I wouldn't move my family there.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Boykos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think it would be a huge decision to move your family there - it is definitely a rough and ready 'frontier' town. It's also very expensive, so unless your employer is picking up a lot of the tab then you might struggle financially. Saying that, it will be getting a lot (and I mean a lot) of development and is only going to get better.

I wouldn't move my family there.
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Yes my husbands employer is supplying a house etc so financially we would be ok, its the kids that is important schooling etc.
Old May 17th 2010, 4:36 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

shithole
Old May 17th 2010, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Jimni is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand from people I work with the primary schooling is OK, but most tend to move back to Perth for High School/ Secondary, but there are plans for an improved High School, it just may take a while.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:24 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
shithole
Stop sitting on the fence.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

shithole
Some would agree, but OP should do a search, Karratha has come up in the past with some people being positive about it. Each to their own I guess.
Search botton top yellow bar.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Karratha

We moved out from UK straight to Karratha and spent a couple of years there...yes, everyone thought we were mad!!
It's a very social town and it's very easy to make new friends there especially if you have young kids. My 2 at the time were 16 and 13 and my 13 yr old son ending up coming down to board at Guildford Grammar School because the schools up in Karratha are..well they're OK for kids who maybe want to go into an apprenticeship but not so good for those who want to go on to uni. I've heard from friends still there that there aren't enough primary school places available now and the town is growing rapidly but there isn't enough infrastructure there for all of the new people.
If you're into fishing,boating,camping etc then it's the best place to be and the islands off Dampier are just beautiful. There are a couple of nice beaches close by and you can always take a drive down to Exmouth or Coral Bay or go in the other direction to Broome.. 5hrs to Exmouth and 8 to Broome..seems a long,long way at first but you get used to driving long distances and they are well worth it.
Yes, it's VERY hot there during the summer months but you do get used to it and the winter weather there is lovely.
The town has changed over the years, we noticed changes over the 2 years we were there,mainly the amount of fly in/fly out guys there. Unfortunately many of the bars there now are like workmens bars full of guys in boots and hi-vis vests, not the place to take a family.
We left because my OH changed employers and now works in the city and because we wanted to live somewhere with more that just a few shops etc.Also, we wanted to be down here for our son although he still boards at Guildford..he says that boarding is the fun part of school and wouldn't consider being a day boy!
All in all I'd say go there for the experience..the money's usually pretty good up there too...but just be prepared for a different lifestyle and maybe have an exit plan in place!!!
If you want any more info then just PM and I'll be glad to help

Last edited by bushy; May 27th 2010 at 8:14 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it's nice up there next week. I'm flying up there on Tuesday for a weeks work.

5am flight Can't wait.

Keel
Old May 27th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

shithole
What...the same as Secret Harbour....seems anywhere someone asks for help with you call it a shithole.
Old May 28th 2010, 1:38 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
What...the same as Secret Harbour....seems anywhere someone asks for help with you call it a shithole.
Secret Harbour is not a sh*thole. It's McMansion Vale.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from Karratha last night. Lovely spot 30C during the day an 20C on an evening, lovely. I honestly can't say why people blag it for being to hot

I've done a bit of soldiering up there in the past (helping to stop those pesky illegals landing before Rudd said it was allright for them all to come in) but had not visted Karratha for about 4 years, it's growing rapidly with new estates going up now.

I wouldn't mind moving the family up there if I needed to but probably only for about a year or so.

Keel
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:05 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by keel
Just got back from Karratha last night. Lovely spot 30C during the day an 20C on an evening, lovely. I honestly can't say why people blag it for being to hot
You do realize that it's WINTER there right now don't you. If it's 30C in the winter than I'd hate to see it at the peak of summer. Your comment just made me agree with everyone else who said it was too hot!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
You do realize that it's WINTER there right now don't you. If it's 30C in the winter than I'd hate to see it at the peak of summer. Your comment just made me agree with everyone else who said it was too hot!
Fair few days over 40 in January by the look of it
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW0605.shtml
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boykos
Hi
Many thanks
Deb
Hi Deb,
We have just moved from Karratha my husband being there for 25 years, I was there for 5 years. Had a great time, not one single regret. We sold our home over there the other day and have moved over east, still have a unit over there for our young one who works for Woodside (same as your husband I believe). Great place to bring up kids, the "smoke" can wait until the kiddies are older.

I have left you a more detailed post regarding schooling etc.

Very best wishes Susie x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.