Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just when we thought!!!!

Just when we thought!!!!

Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Just when we thought!!!!

Things were going ok, got house, hubby working, kids in school.
Been having a few tears from our youngest son (13) abit unhappy at school. today the school rang me to have a chat, they are concerned he is not settling, he just broke down at school, upset about leaving UK and his family and friends. I think today everything came out. I had to bring him home. At his school there is student services which seem to be very caring, and want to help him.

Just thought I needed to tell someone, couldn't ring my mum, as she would be upset for her grandchild

Yve
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My heart goes out to you... Hopefully given time things will get better for your son. 13 is such a hormonal stage in their young life aswell.
If he can make some close friendships with a few boys his age then it may lessen his sadness.

Could he join an afterschool club doing a sport or something to get to know some other boys who share the same interests.

Just be there for him always and ready to listen to his problems.
How old are his siblings?

Im sure things will settle down in a while..

My best wishes to you and your son and I hope things improve very rapidly for him.

take care
booboo
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:28 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Abergas,

Aren't there are few more people from here heading out your way soon? Perhaps some of them have kids that your son could talk to. At least then he'll feel that somebody else understands how he's feeling (mothers don't know anything and understand nothing after all!) All you can do is be thee for him and give him lots of hugs. Hopefully he'll settle down in time.

Jane
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:28 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi yve,

im so sorry about your son....if you want a chat and coffee your welcome anytime!!!!

Our eldest daughter started school this week and seems ok, although she was upset this am as the girl who had been showing her round wasnt going...due to the heat????

i was surprised about this business of not going to school when its too hot??!! our youngest (who attends primary school)said that her teacher told her that she neednt attend today because it was going to be so hot. we like all wicked parents ..made her go..and as it turns out most of the pupils went anyway.
i phoned school to check and the person who answered said that they didnt have a policy re 'heat' and it was up to the parents whether they send the child or not.

you learn something new every day eh??

our son is still a bit fed up as he isnt due to start uni til next yr...although if he doesnt get off his backside there will be no places....he hasnt even contacted them and i certainly arent doing it for him!!!!!

any one live in port kennedy area with 18-20 yr olds???...my son is 19...so any teenager would be welcome i reckon??!!!!

bye for now....

not being a whinging pom honest!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Hi
Thanks for replies,

My son has got guite a few friends at school, so I don't think thats a problem, except they don't live near us, he is fine when he is at home, he does tend to bottle everything up, like I say everything got to much for him today.
What with the heat of the last few days something had to give.
He's really looking forward to his grandparents coming here for 6 weeks, they arrive on 9th December, so not long now, what will he be like when they leave!!!

thanks again,
yve
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Yve,

If you fancy a chat you know where I am, give me a call. Thinking of you although there's nothing I can say to help as I know you're already doing all you can. Give him a big hug from us.

Loopy
xx
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just when we thought!!!!

Originally posted by abergas
Been having a few tears from our youngest son (13) abit unhappy at school. today the school rang me to have a chat, they are concerned he is not settling, he just broke down at school, upset about leaving UK and his family and friends. I think today everything came out. I had to bring him home. At his school there is student services which seem to be very caring, and want to help him.

Just thought I needed to tell someone, couldn't ring my mum, as she would be upset for her grandchild

Yve
Oh my god. Yve i have emailed you.

Hope you are ok.

Tracie xx
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear its taking him a while to settle in, hopefully he will feel comfortable soon and make lots of new friend and settle into the Ozzy way of life.

Let us know how it goes for him over the next few months, I'm sure he'll be fine
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Yve
What about having a sleep over for a couple of the guys at school then you go all out with videos and food and a movie......
The kids will respond having a bit of fun will give them somthing to talk about at school ?????????what ever works as they say
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Yve
Oh Yve,
i hope that things settle down soon, this is one thing i dread, our daughter is 11 and very outgoing and makes friends easily well here anyway! she can't wait to live in Oz (at the moment) i just hope that we never have to go through what you are going through, thinking of you
rach & family
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:32 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Yve,

I really hope your son soon settles and starts to feel a bit happier...like Rach this is the one thing I dread....my eldest son is 13 and is really keen to go to oz, he's an outgoing lad so fingers crossed he'll be ok.

Please keep us posted on how he's doing.. Good luck
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Sorry to hear your strife Yve, it must be so difficult seeing him upset like that, best he gets it out in the open though.

Wishing you & your family all the best

Diane & family
Old Nov 13th 2003, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Sorry to hear your strife Yve, it must be so difficult seeing him upset like that, best he gets it out in the open though.

Wishing you & your family all the best

Diane & family

Hi
Thanks for replies,

My son went into school ok today, had another chat with student services, they think he is really homesick and just needs his confidence built up again, it's so up setting to see him like this, as he is ok when he's at home. I love my kids to bits, and I will be there for them 24/7, Im so proud of them, it's not an easy move for an adult let alone a child,

thanks again
Yve
Old Nov 13th 2003, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Abergas

Hi
Thanks for replies,

My son went into school ok today, had another chat with student services, they think he is really homesick and just needs his confidence built up again, it's so up setting to see him like this, as he is ok when he's at home. I love my kids to bits, and I will be there for them 24/7, Im so proud of them, it's not an easy move for an adult let alone a child,

thanks again
Yve
Hi Yve
im so pleased that your son went into school ok today, like you say its a big enough move for an adult let alone our children, i hope that he settles soon, maybe a few more hugs will help so i'm sending a couple xoxoxoxox
take care mate
rach x
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:10 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Poor chap - 13-year-old boys aren't as indestructable as we think sometimes!

Would it be worth giving him a different focus like a new puppy, one of those ATV bike things, surfing lessons or something like that - a positive association with his new home? Even better if it is something that is accessable only in nz - how about a trip to Kaikoura to swim with the dolphins?

Just a suggestion - I don't have kids so what do I know - and I am sure you are doing everything for him you can - maybe all he needs is time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.