British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Just voted ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/just-voted-681049/)

Hutch Aug 13th 2010 11:22 am

Just voted ...

Going to be busy at a conference next Saturday so I availed myself of the services of the early-voting station. Given the choice between voting 'above the line' and putting a single '1' in a one box, or grading 84(!) other candidates in my own order, I plumped for the former option. Glad it's out of the way - I wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been compulsory because I do not live in a marginal, therefore haven't seen millions of dollars chucked at local causes. Democracy in action.

ponyrama Aug 13th 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Just voted ...

I got a "guide on how to vote" in my mailbox the other day It was cleverly disguised as a 27 page technical instruction manual. I started to read it but when I got to the bit about above the line, below the line and taking advice on prefereces - I decided that maybe I wont become an Australian Citizen after all. Strewth mate.

Plus I think I'd rather pay the fine than put my name to some of the tosh thats on offer. :blink:

Pollyana Aug 13th 2010 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8774811)
I got a "guide on how to vote" in my mailbox the other day It was cleverly disguised as a 27 page technical instruction manual. I started to read it but when I got to the bit about above the line, below the line and taking advice on prefereces - I decided that maybe I wont become an Australian Citizen after all. Strewth mate.

Plus I think I'd rather pay the fine than put my name to some of the tosh thats on offer. :blink:

:thumbup: I had one of those booklets. Postman threw it on the ground and the rain got it, such a shame :lol:

ponyrama Aug 13th 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8774814)
:thumbup: I had one of those booklets. Postman threw it on the ground and the rain got it, such a shame :lol:

Yeh dont you just hate it when that happens. I hope you took it in and dried it out so you could read it. I can send you mine if you like...............................oops I think the dog pooped on it! :D

Pollyana Aug 13th 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8774818)
Yeh dont you just hate it when that happens. I hope you took it in and dried it out so you could read it. I can send you mine if you like...............................oops I think the dog pooped on it! :D

Awww I'd love you to dry it for me, but it was just too soggy, such a shame, I'm sure it was fascinating :lol:

expatasia Aug 13th 2010 2:35 pm

Fine, what's all that about, how much?

ponyrama Aug 13th 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by expatasia (Post 8774842)
Fine, what's all that about, how much?

Voting is compulsory in Australia for all citizens. If you are eligible to vote and dont - they fine you. $20. Or $50 plus costs if you elect to dispute in court.

More info......
http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm

expatasia Aug 13th 2010 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8774869)
Voting is compulsory in Australia for all citizens. If you are eligible to vote and dont - they fine you. $20. Or $50 plus costs if you elect to dispute in court.

More info......
http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm

Thanks, very odd. The logic being...if voting were optional people wouldn't bother (as they don't hold politicians in high regard)? Do the Aborigines have to vote?

ponyrama Aug 13th 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by expatasia (Post 8774898)
Do the Aborigines have to vote?

Er............is that a joke? :blink:

expatasia Aug 13th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8774920)
Er............is that a joke? :blink:

Turned out as one.

ponyrama Aug 13th 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by expatasia (Post 8774923)
Turned out as one.

Sure did. I think the only way a citizen can get out of voting is if they are serving more than 3 years in jail or if they have been convicted of treason. Or if they are crazy! :unsure:

expatasia Aug 13th 2010 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8774944)
Sure did. I think the only way a citizen can get out of voting is if they are serving more than 3 years in jail or if they have been convicted of treason. Or if they are crazy! :unsure:

Right. No escape for B.E. members from Oz then.

ponyrama Aug 13th 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by expatasia (Post 8774968)
Right. No escape for B.E. members from Oz then.

Not sure about that. Crazy gets most of them off the hook I reckon. ;) And for those of us who are not citizens yet we just have to watch the excitement from afar! :rofl:

expatasia Aug 13th 2010 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 8774986)
Not sure about that. Crazy gets most of them off the hook I reckon. ;) And for those of us who are not citizens yet we just have to watch the excitement from afar! :rofl:

Thanks, I was waiting for you to write that. Good thing about Japan is that one could live here fifty or a hundred years and still not get invited to become a citizen.

ianandhelena Aug 13th 2010 4:16 pm

You don't need to vote to avoid the fine, just register at the polling station, stand on the table provided, strip, and yell "vote for this you ba5tards" and providing the wife isn't there to critique your performance you may not be fined.