Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just told my Brother we are emigrating.

Just told my Brother we are emigrating.

Old Mar 31st 2005, 4:40 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just told my Brother we are emigrating.

Hi Judith,

sorry your relatives reacted so badly.

Went into the chatroom but you'd gone. And can't even send you karma (won't let me).

Please don't be too upset about your brother.

Gina
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:07 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonictigger
To get back to the point....the reaction was, "I guess this is just another whim of yours, you will sell up, go out with no job, miss everyone and have to come back and start again. Also, don't expect us to fly out all the time to visit you - it is a long way you know”. "You have a family to think about now, it's not just the two of you".
We got a similar reaction from some of my wife's family, shock basically. They will come round like her's did in the next few days. And if they love you they will cast off their own envy / disappointment and get right behind you. Besides, the worst reaction possible would be indifference now wouldn't it?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:28 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kyliecuteass
my mum is having my kids on saturday and she said....i had better enjoy having the kids since i may never have them again...........
knife thru my heart or what!!
Tell me about it..... My mum who has looked after the kids for 2 days a week for the last 4 yrs has stopped doing it as she feels she has to detach now to make it less painful !! Painful for who I wonder ? I know shes devestated but she ought to be able to let us go as well
Gillian
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
Besides, the worst reaction possible would be indifference now wouldn't it?
Putting it that way, you are absolutely right. thanks worzel.

[QUOTE]Tell me about it..... My mum who has looked after the kids for 2 days a week for the last 4 yrs has stopped doing it as she feels she has to detach now to make it less painful !! Painful for who I wonder ? I know shes devestated but she ought to be able to let us go as well
Gillian[QUOTE]
That's out of order, you'd think she would want to spend as much time with them as possible....it really makes you wonder sometimes. Put's mine into perspective.

Judith
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Judith,

sorry your relatives reacted so badly.

Went into the chatroom but you'd gone. And can't even send you karma (won't let me).

Please don't be too upset about your brother.

Gina
Thanks Gina, I need to spread it around apparently!!!! Not something I've done recently
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

got to say that i'm pleased that other people have found that as soon as they research (it's a life changing thing) a subject that they are or become obsessed with that subject! hmmm would you hand over your money to just any1?? no not many people would they'd like to know things! if you get what i mean !!!

reactions well i mentioned it to my eldest sis and got dont go with your partner mick (I'v been in this relationship for 6 years some marrages don't even last that long! come to think of it you get nearly that for murder! )on his visa you need to get things under your belt and then you go! well if he goes i'm sorry but i ain't staying here for 2yrs with our son ! i think i'll take my chances and go with him !
with her breath she said we are going to go to Canada in about 8 years ! (alot can change in 8 years!)

My other sis said oh great but has now taken to "try to beat us there!" going off her friends experience saying that i have got nothing to say that we are a couple! (her friends got devorced then got remarried then applied) her f friend is an aus citizen! now if that isn't worth a second look by the DIMIA what is!

my little br doesn't believe me and my mam and his parents both said go for it there's nothing her for you! well there is in the sence of family but as a family unit we are our future not our parents!

if anything it has made us more determind to get there! we ar still researching and gathering info but 1 day !
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:05 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys so much, I know it's a shock, but hopefully he has always stood by me and backed me up when I've needed it. I'm sure things will be ok - just I was so happy & excited about going, he bought a dampener into it.

I agree that I would rather regret something we did, than have regrets for not doing something when we are old and grey.

I have to agree with your last comment, as much as it upsets and worries me about how I am making my parents feel, I still want to go, as I don't think I would be able to forgive myself in the future if I stayed and never knew "what might have been".

I've yet to tell my brother, but that's a whole different chapter, my parents are my one and ony concern in the UK.

Louise
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

I've just told my Brother & his wife that we are looking to move to Australia. I wasn't too sure what his response would be, but wasn't quite prepared for what I got.

To give you a little history, I am the little sister, the baby of the family, etc. Our parents died within 15 months of each other 3 years ago which just left the two of us, but we have always been very close. I grew up being told to be more like Dave….the sensible one. He has been married for years, has 2 boys, 18 & 12 and has always been very sensible and done the expected thing. I’ve had a few more "issues" during my life, and to be honest been slightly more rebellious. I’ve been divorced which caused them many problems, apparently, no one in our family had ever been divorced, and I’m sure they thought I had done it to cause them embarrassment with friends! No one seemed bothered what my feelings were. I always think about number one, mucked around at school and frittered away money on far away holidays instead of saving for a rainy day. We do both have good careers, and have worked hard to get nice houses etc, but I will always be the one than caused the problems when we were younger, ie. 20years ago!!!!

To get back to the point....the reaction was, "I guess this is just another whim of yours, you will sell up, go out with no job, miss everyone and have to come back and start again. Also, don't expect us to fly out all the time to visit you - it is a long way you know”. "You have a family to think about now, it's not just the two of you".

I know it was a shock, but I guess this is what they still think about me, and assume I'm still a care-free 18 year old, not a mother of a small baby in her 30’s. I thought they would be ok, as they have always known we wanted to leave the UK, they just assumed it would be the US we went to as I worked there for a while and loved it.

Although they live 100 miles away from us, we are seeing them again on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see what the comments and thoughts are after they have had time to digest the news. I’m really hoping that they will be happy for us, and see it as a free holiday home rather than the sister that moved away.

I know reading other peoples comments that people do react very differently to what you expect, but I really hope things get easier, as we have my husband’s family to do this weekend….anymore responses like this one and I think I will be mentally drained.

One funny point to end on….my sister in law asked what the next stage was, so I said Police checks and Medicals. “Oh, so you could fail the medical as you had a c-section last year, they won’t want people with a history of operations and medical problems” - taken aback I said that as long as we didn’t have TB or Aids we should be ok….. “They’re not very stringent medicals then”….I didn’t know how to respond to that one!!!
this is a post i found on here. it is one of the best posts i have ever read.
and yes you are thinking of your family you can only be doing this for a better life for you and your children.
Aug 5th 2004, 4:16 pm #1
dolly1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RISK"

To Laugh is to risk appearing the fool,
To Weep is to risk appearing sentimental,
To reach out for another is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self,
To place your ideas, your dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure,
But risks must be taken, for the greater hazard is to risk nothing,
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing,
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But, they cannot learn, change, grow, love or live.
Chained by their attitude they are a slave, they have forfeited freedom,
Only a person who risks is free.

DOLLY X

dolly1
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dolly1
Send email to dolly1
Find More Posts by dolly1
Add dolly1 to Your Buddy List

Aug 5th 2004, 4:29 pm
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:33 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just told my Brother & his wife that we are looking to move to Australia. I wasn't too sure what his response would be, but wasn't quite prepared for what I got.

To give you a little history, I am the little sister, the baby of the family, etc. Our parents died within 15 months of each other 3 years ago which just left the two of us, but we have always been very close. I grew up being told to be more like Dave….the sensible one. He has been married for years, has 2 boys, 18 & 12 and has always been very sensible and done the expected thing. I’ve had a few more "issues" during my life, and to be honest been slightly more rebellious. I’ve been divorced which caused them many problems, apparently, no one in our family had ever been divorced, and I’m sure they thought I had done it to cause them embarrassment with friends! No one seemed bothered what my feelings were. I always think about number one, mucked around at school and frittered away money on far away holidays instead of saving for a rainy day. We do both have good careers, and have worked hard to get nice houses etc, but I will always be the one than caused the problems when we were younger, ie. 20years ago!!!!

I know it was a shock, but I guess this is what they still think about me, and assume I'm still a care-free 18 year old, not a mother of a small baby in her 30’s. I thought they would be ok, as they have always known we wanted to leave the UK, they just assumed it would be the US we went to as I worked there for a while and loved it.

Although they live 100 miles away from us, we are seeing them again on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see what the comments and thoughts are after they have had time to digest the news. I’m really hoping that they will be happy for us, and see it as a free holiday home rather than the sister that moved away.

I know reading other peoples comments that people do react very differently to what you expect, but I really hope things get easier, as we have my husband’s family to do this weekend….anymore responses like this one and I think I will be mentally drained.

One funny point to end on….my sister in law asked what the next stage was, so I said Police checks and Medicals. “Oh, so you could fail the medical as you had a c-section last year, they won’t want people with a history of operations and medical problems” - taken aback I said that as long as we didn’t have TB or Aids we should be ok….. “They’re not very stringent medicals then”….I didn’t know how to respond to that one!!!
My Sister and brother in law...told us we were selfish and that we have family here so we were wrong to think of moving. We never talk about it any more, and i am sure when the time comes to actually go they will probably stop speaking to us. It's a good job i dont give a toss what they think
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:50 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DIMO8
My Sister and brother in law...told us we were selfish and that we have family here so we were wrong to think of moving. We never talk about it any more, and i am sure when the time comes to actually go they will probably stop speaking to us. It's a good job i dont give a toss what they think

When we told my mum and dad, they said that they thought that we were
thinking about migrating especially as we had booked to go and see relatives
who had recently migrated. They both looked really upset but said they
didn`t blame us. My brother as sister-in-law were fine about it and could
forsee a free holiday home. My other brother who lives at home hasn`t
mentioned it once but that is probably because my mum and dad don`t
mention it. They know that we have been asked to get our medicals and police checks done (through my brother) but it is still a subject that nobody
mentions, I don`t know what is worse, criticism or silence? Believe it or
not we are a really close family!

Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:59 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
but it is still a subject that nobody
mentions, I don`t know what is worse, criticism or silence? Believe it or
not we are a really close family!

Tracey
My dad (seperated parents) is like this and I agree it is equally as hard to take - its all them undercurrents that feel so awful.
Gillian