Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just a suitcase!

Just a suitcase!

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Northern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to all
Default Just a suitcase!

I would love to hear from anyone who migrated with just a suitcase or two.
I often read posts of people shipping out all their belongings but I dont think anyone has gone with just their suitcase.

Hubby and I are doing just that selling all our worldly goods except photos if we are going to start a new life we might as well go the full hog we see ourselves as brave and on an adventure all our friends think that we are quite mad!!

Love to hear if anyone has done it or what you all think.

NM
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice
Default Re: Just a suitcase!

Originally Posted by Northern-Monkey
I often read posts of people shipping out all their belongings but I dont think anyone has gone with just their suitcase.

Hubby and I are doing just that selling all our worldly goods except photos if we are going to start a new life we might as well go the full hog we see ourselves as brave and on an adventure all our friends think that we are quite mad!!

NM

I don't wish to boast here, but my older brother came to Australia by himself in 1988 with just one holdall and now has a wife and two kids and a few million dollars! He worked hard and took full advantage of the "Aussie Fair Go" belief.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

NM
We are doing exactly the same.

I have scanned all our photo's onto disc and have distributed the original pictures out among family. I will get them all reprinted when we get there. (I have a back up zip file saved in my e-mail just in case )

I will tell you how well we do in a month or two as we fly out there in less than two weeks :scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

NM

That is what my hubby wants to do, new start with no baggage. Weather we will is another matter.Might comprimise and pack boxes but no furniture as most of our stuff is ancient.
Have you kids? If you do what about toys etc?
I think Wendy C is doing that . Just suit cases.

Good luck any way
Mandy
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

NM
I also think your mad , Tho I think if it was just me and the wife it would be quite cool
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:38 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

We did that, me hubby 2 children and 6 suitcases. We figured the amount we would save in transport, not to mention trying to live either end of the world for weeks without our furniture, crockery etc we could buy brand new here!! It was great being able to start again!

The kids sold a lot of their toys and videos etc and had the money to spend on whatever they wanted when they got here. It was great we got rid of loads of cr*p! We all kept special things but parents brought things over as they visited ie Wedding Album (bloody heavy!) and golf clubs etc.

If I had to do it again I would do it all the same way. Very cleansing!

LJJ
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
We are doing exactly the same.

I have scanned all our photo's onto disc and have distributed the original pictures out among family. I will get them all reprinted when we get there. (I have a back up zip file saved in my e-mail just in case )

I will tell you how well we do in a month or two as we fly out there in less than two weeks :scared:
OMG Wendy I can't believe you fly out so soon :scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Just a suitcase!

NM
That was exactly our plan too! Never been, just pack a suitcase each and do it! Get a whole new life!

However, reading a few threads, six months down the visa application line and had time to mull everything over.

After finding a thread about sevenseas shipping, discovered we can pack a couple of teachest size boxes with stuff for a really good price (£89 for first box then £45 for boxes after that).

Also, found out winters can get chilly on an evening - so now getting a couple of teachests to ship our lush duck down duvet, spare bedding and blankets, towels (for the beach), winter clothes and some of OH more sophisticated tools (dont ask).

We are taking major advantage of this and spending a week or two in Thailand on-route so only need to carry summer clothes and absolute bare essentials for the first couple of months in our new life.

IT IS SOOO EXCITING ISNT IT? And we havent even got our visa's yet!

Paula
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

I'm glad I read this thread because we dont intend to ship anything either, simply take what we can carry - After all we came into this life with nothing and I still have most of it left!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
OMG Wendy I can't believe you fly out so soon :scared:

I know This time in two weeks we will be in Singapore

Kids toys have all gone in the bin
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

NM
It's a nice plan - we just didn't have the funds for that. It was cheaper for us to ship everything out rather than buy it all again, particularly when you are looking for work or just started a new job and have so many outgoings in the beginning. We had to buy a bed, lounge and tv (bought a small one after 6 weeks...) as we didn't have these things.... Good luck! I hope it goes well for you!!!

S
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Northern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to all

Fantastic to know we are not alone in our adventure and I dont feel remotely mad in the slightest.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:58 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ljj
We did that, me hubby 2 children and 6 suitcases. We figured the amount we would save in transport, not to mention trying to live either end of the world for weeks without our furniture, crockery etc we could buy brand new here!! It was great being able to start again!

The kids sold a lot of their toys and videos etc and had the money to spend on whatever they wanted when they got here. It was great we got rid of loads of cr*p! We all kept special things but parents brought things over as they visited ie Wedding Album (bloody heavy!) and golf clubs etc.

If I had to do it again I would do it all the same way. Very cleansing!

LJJ
I really fancy doing this cleansing option. But I suppose it all depends how much money you have at the otherside to buy it all again v the cost of shipping.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cinderella
I really fancy doing this cleansing option. But I suppose it all depends how much money you have at the otherside to buy it all again v the cost of shipping.
We are actually flying by the seat of our pants as we dont have that much money to go with lifes about taking chances!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:03 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

We are actually flying by the seat of our pants as we dont have that much money to go with lifes about taking chances!
Chances exactly - that is why we all going on this adventure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.