Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just returned from NZ - comparison with Australia...

Just returned from NZ - comparison with Australia...

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just returned from NZ - comparison with Australia...

Just returned from a trip to NZ and thought I'd post a few initial views for those looking at Australia and New Zealand as potential migration destinations...

I went to NZ with a feeling that it would be a poorer cousin of Australia but left with a completely opposite feeling. I felt that it was richer in many, many ways with a few downsides.

The biggest downside for me was what I perceived to be a big racism issue. We spent most of the time in Auckland and loved it primarily because it was like being in Asia - lots of Asian born people and great food. Unfortunately there were many anglos who had a real issue with the Asians in NZ. I won't go into details but suffice to say it seemed widespread. I did leave with a sense that Perth is a superbly accepting and cosmopolitan place to be.

But other than that it was difficult to fault the country. Whilst in Australia I am often left with the impression that things are slack, that there is a "can't-be-arsed-doing-a-good-job" attitude pervading many areas of society and that taste and culture can be lacking. I felt none of this in NZ. Society came across as intelligent, considered and self-deprecating. On the Air New Zealand flight on the way back the steward announced what the meal choices were and then said that the crew would refuse to talk about rugby, the Americas Cup or cricket! Quite a refreshing change!
Conversation never ventured into how lucky anybody living in or visiting New Zealand should be because it was the best place on Earth. It might well be but I didn't get the sense that we should all bow down to the country - a feeling I often get in Australia.

The landscape was beautiful - really varied and interesting. The city food great although the road cafes were pretty standard.

We had an interesting discussion about the differences between the Maoris and the Aborigines. Although by no means equivalent to the whites in terms of standard of living indicators, the Maoris came across as empowered, autonomous and proud with a culture which was marketed effectively. The contrast with the often pathetic situation of the Aborigines - at least in Perth and Fremantle - was startling.

I enquired about salaries - most definitely lower than Australia but the cost of living seemed lower also. Fruit was unvelievably cheap compared with Perth. Bananas at $NZ2 per kilo (Aus$1.90), apples at NZ$1.40 but petrol was more expensive at NZ$1.51.

Weather was a downer for us. It is a very green country - even in the north island but that obviously comes at a cost!

So all in all....we loved the place. It has to be said though that the women in Perth are far more stunning than their NZ conterparts. That was enough to convince me that we should stay put...
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned from NZ - comparison with Australia...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Just returned from a trip to NZ and thought I'd post a few initial views for those looking at Australia and New Zealand as potential migration destinations...

I went to NZ with a feeling that it would be a poorer cousin of Australia but left with a completely opposite feeling. I felt that it was richer in many, many ways with a few downsides.

The biggest downside for me was what I perceived to be a big racism issue. We spent most of the time in Auckland and loved it primarily because it was like being in Asia - lots of Asian born people and great food. Unfortunately there were many anglos who had a real issue with the Asians in NZ. I won't go into details but suffice to say it seemed widespread. I did leave with a sense that Perth is a superbly accepting and cosmopolitan place to be.

But other than that it was difficult to fault the country. Whilst in Australia I am often left with the impression that things are slack, that there is a "can't-be-arsed-doing-a-good-job" attitude pervading many areas of society and that taste and culture can be lacking. I felt none of this in NZ. Society came across as intelligent, considered and self-deprecating. On the Air New Zealand flight on the way back the steward announced what the meal choices were and then said that the crew would refuse to talk about rugby, the Americas Cup or cricket! Quite a refreshing change!
Conversation never ventured into how lucky anybody living in or visiting New Zealand should be because it was the best place on Earth. It might well be but I didn't get the sense that we should all bow down to the country - a feeling I often get in Australia.

The landscape was beautiful - really varied and interesting. The city food great although the road cafes were pretty standard.

We had an interesting discussion about the differences between the Maoris and the Aborigines. Although by no means equivalent to the whites in terms of standard of living indicators, the Maoris came across as empowered, autonomous and proud with a culture which was marketed effectively. The contrast with the often pathetic situation of the Aborigines - at least in Perth and Fremantle - was startling.

I enquired about salaries - most definitely lower than Australia but the cost of living seemed lower also. Fruit was unvelievably cheap compared with Perth. Bananas at $NZ2 per kilo (Aus$1.90), apples at NZ$1.40 but petrol was more expensive at NZ$1.51.

Weather was a downer for us. It is a very green country - even in the north island but that obviously comes at a cost!

So all in all....we loved the place. It has to be said though that the women in Perth are far more stunning than their NZ conterparts. That was enough to convince me that we should stay put...
Great post, I'd like to hear more like these. I'm looking forward to going to compare and to sort of remember the first excitement of arriving here.

I've heard plenty of anecdotes to suggest NZers are as much fully paid up Godzoners as some Aussies are.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to New Zealand, a very beautiful country. Doen not seem to inspire the "passion" Australia does, either for or against. My husband works with two Kiwis and he says any chance they have to put Australia or Australians down they will, and they are always conspiring to get him stuck into them as well... my hubby finds it quite odd, but apparently this is normal???
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah. New Zealand. Now that place really is like the UK of the 1950's. I don't know if I actually saw anyone driving those district-nurse-style wood-panelled Austin estate cars, but it wouldn't have surprised me.

Home of the weirdest food combinations ever. Was actually served with curried sole, quiche with a sour cream and pesto garnish and once found sultanas in a salad sandwich.

It has seriously wet weather and the worst drivers in the world.

Stunningly beautiful scenery but could never live there in a million years.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Nicky C. I could never live in NZ which is why we're aiming for Oz now.
My OH is a Kiwi and I lived there for 2 years in 1998-2000. I loved so many things about it and I am loath to "slag it off" but the weather is a serious downer! I obviously went with my eyes wide shut because I expected it to be much warmer and sunnier than the UK, but it isn't really. The winters never get as cold as the UK (well, Auckland anyway) but they weren't far off, and the summers are very unpredictable with lots of rainy and overcast days. The main thing weather-wise was the lack of central heating in the houses meant I spent months freezing my butt off indoors as well.
Overall, I think I expected a huge lifestyle change and I didn't find it in NZ, but a lot of that was my fault as well cos I didn't make the most of it. I'm 7/8 years older and wiser now, so hopefully OZ will work for us, but the weather in NZ has made me lean very definitely towards OZ, as well as family connections.
But if anyone is thinking of moving to Auckland, check out Devonport, it is the most picture-perfect little suburb in the world for somewhere to live. At the NZ-ers are fab people. I was just a young, ungrateful Pom who whined about the weather & lack of pubs in NZ. Luckily my Kiwi hubbie stuck with me.....!!! XX
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

What Mrs Kiwi said.

Its a great country for a visit, but to live there is a different proposition. Many of the neagtive complaints that posters on here state about Australia, I could equally well apply to New Zealand.

Once bitten twice shy - we leave the UK for Oz June 1st and I just hope we have a better experience than we had in NZ.

Buzzy
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I have been to New Zealand, a very beautiful country. Doen not seem to inspire the "passion" Australia does, either for or against. My husband works with two Kiwis and he says any chance they have to put Australia or Australians down they will, and they are always conspiring to get him stuck into them as well... my hubby finds it quite odd, but apparently this is normal???
I've also worked with a few Kiwis who felt the same way. Is it just local rivalry like Scotland-England, or chip-on-the-shoulder stuff?

But you've got to hand it to the late NZ PM Robert "Piggy" Muldoon for one of the best put-downs of all time. When asked about the exodus of Kiwis to Oz he said, "On the whole it's a good thing, because it raises the average IQ of both countries".
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:56 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

As a Kiwi probably heading to OZ, I can relate to what's been said, and here's my 2p:

I think the downside to NZers self-depreciating nature is they tend to restrict their potential because the don't have the confidence. A lot of Kiwi successes are actual quite often because of the "backing" of a larger country (Ernest Rutherford, Edmund Hilary, Pavlova, Phar Lap, Crowded House, but I better stop there or I might have my passport revoked). Aussies are more vocal in their admiration in themselves, but I think this gives them more confidence to succeed. It can grate a little, though. I suspect in a similar way that the Americans grate on the British.

The asian influence in Auckland reminds me that a friend of mine from NZ, who now lives in London, is 2nd generation chinese and he feels uncomfortable going back there, because its now "so Asian". The state of racism in NZ surprises me sometimes. I used to think my home town of Dunedin was pretty red-neck but they've had an Indian Mayoress for good number of years followed by the current Mayor who is Chinese.

The "sport sport sport" issue is something that reminded me about how I was perceived as "not sporty" in NZ. I played volleyball 3 nights a week and table tennis once a week. The trouble was, it wasn't rugby union. That's what I like about Oz, they go on about practically all sports, not just rugby union. And perhaps if NZ won a few more things, they'd talk more about on Air NZ flights
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

As an ex Brit leaving NZ on Wednesday for Oz I'm probably not in the best state of mind to comment, but trust me, kiwis do think NZ is the best place on earth - and anything the rest of the world can do a kiwi can do better!! In fact, that's one of the reasons I need a break -if I hear the word New Zealand once more on a news broadcast I'm going to scream!!!

There is a lot of good stuff here - I quite like the weather as rainy days are exciting and involve snuggling up in bed. I love the fact that I don't need bars on my window and I can go out at night and leave my garage door open (by mistake) and still have a tele when I get home - and I'm moving to Sydney and don't plan on having a garage let alone being able to leave it open1!! And yes, it is cheaper (although catching up fast) - though bananas very overrated, am typing this eating a bacon sandwich in which the bread and bacon both taste like bananas as I didn't close the crisper box in the fridge!! But there's a lot that's wrong, and it's so ingrained in the kiwi psyche that it's why I have to leave, even just if it's for a few years at a time - but best not get me started on that right now!!.

So what am I looking forward to about OZ: more than one newspaper, breakfast TV people I don't want to kill, shops that do clothes that fit me, people who get sarcasm (yep, we found some), and the fact that it doesn't matter that my house doesn't have central heating, it's going to take me three more years to acclimatise. Plus the fact that it's a new country - and if they're willing to let me in, I feel it's rude not to take them up on the offer!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by briwi
As an ex Brit leaving NZ on Wednesday for Oz I'm probably not in the best state of mind to comment, but trust me, kiwis do think NZ is the best place on earth - and anything the rest of the world can do a kiwi can do better!! In fact, that's one of the reasons I need a break -if I hear the word New Zealand once more on a news broadcast I'm going to scream!!!

There is a lot of good stuff here - I quite like the weather as rainy days are exciting and involve snuggling up in bed. I love the fact that I don't need bars on my window and I can go out at night and leave my garage door open (by mistake) and still have a tele when I get home - and I'm moving to Sydney and don't plan on having a garage let alone being able to leave it open1!! And yes, it is cheaper (although catching up fast) - though bananas very overrated, am typing this eating a bacon sandwich in which the bread and bacon both taste like bananas as I didn't close the crisper box in the fridge!! But there's a lot that's wrong, and it's so ingrained in the kiwi psyche that it's why I have to leave, even just if it's for a few years at a time - but best not get me started on that right now!!.

So what am I looking forward to about OZ: more than one newspaper, breakfast TV people I don't want to kill, shops that do clothes that fit me, people who get sarcasm (yep, we found some), and the fact that it doesn't matter that my house doesn't have central heating, it's going to take me three more years to acclimatise. Plus the fact that it's a new country - and if they're willing to let me in, I feel it's rude not to take them up on the offer!

Great post! (You should be writing for a living!)

Interested in the breakfast tv thing - after watching "I-love-myself-Kochie" and the dumb blonde on Channel 7 for a year and struggling to catch the one minute of actual news before plunging back into trite garbage, (before we took the gamble and got Foxtel) I was actually quite impressed with NZ breakfast news. But having said that, I was only there for 10 days and only caught glimpses.

One thing which I failed to mention, took Qantas on the way out and Air NZ on the way back. Both confirmed my feelings from flights I took a few years ago. Qantas had the worst steward/esses I have ever encountered - rude and unhelpful and even worse than BA. Air NZ were marginally better (although neither had lookers) but the Air NZ interior was actually more decrepit than a Garuda flight I took just before Christmas (and that plane was so old it still had ashtrays).

Neither airline was a patch on Malaysian, Thai, Singapore or, dare I say it, Royal Brunei.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Great post! (You should be writing for a living!)

Interested in the breakfast tv thing - after watching "I-love-myself-Kochie" and the dumb blonde on Channel 7 for a year and struggling to catch the one minute of actual news before plunging back into trite garbage, (before we took the gamble and got Foxtel) I was actually quite impressed with NZ breakfast news. But having said that, I was only there for 10 days and only caught glimpses.

One thing which I failed to mention, took Qantas on the way out and Air NZ on the way back. Both confirmed my feelings from flights I took a few years ago. Qantas had the worst steward/esses I have ever encountered - rude and unhelpful and even worse than BA. Air NZ were marginally better (although neither had lookers) but the Air NZ interior was actually more decrepit than a Garuda flight I took just before Christmas (and that plane was so old it still had ashtrays).

Neither airline was a patch on Malaysian, Thai, Singapore or, dare I say it, Royal Brunei.
Try Jetstar. Mrs Buzzy reports on their trans-Tasman routes they have modern planes, leather "business-class-style" seats, and very friendly helpful staff.

She didn't mention whether the stewardesses were lookers or not, but I might have been a bit concerned if she had!

Buzzy
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:30 am
Just Joined

tani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nice

Absoloutely brilliant to find this chat going on.............

Having lived in Oz for a few years, on going to NZ - I fell in love with the place - the obvious things like the stunning natural beauty, the variety and diversity of things to do/places to go really got to me. I felt alot of the things I missed were there.
Maoris had a much prouder, louder voice & presence than Aborigines. Yes, there was the odd comment about Asians but alot less racism than I heard when in Australia.....(apparently the racism is quite bad in NZ from others posts and chatting to people elsewhere)
I found the Kiwis actually got dry humour & sarcasm more than Ozzies. It was bloody brilliant I must say....
Major drawback was the cold climate (terribly shallow I know) and the fact the wages are meant to really bad hence lots of Kiwis working in Oz. Wasnt sure on moving other side of world for a climate similar to UK...

I am in Oz again, in a lovely spot but I do still wonder on NZ and think about living there v here so seeing this thread has been brilliant. Other option is Tasmania.............any views?

keep on posting people
xxx

Last edited by tani; Apr 23rd 2007 at 9:32 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tani
I found the Kiwis actually got dry humour & sarcasm more than Ozzies.
xxx
I found this also. I actually felt that it was a lot like the UK. I left feeling that the crassness which is often seen in Australia (at least in Perth) wasn't present in NZ - it seemed a lot more sophisticated, a lot more understated.

But as I said I was only there for 10 days - I actually liked Alice Springs when I visited for a couple of days once (so much so that I considered living there) so you can see that my judgement of places isn't exactly first class.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is not bad .....as far as third world countries go.

OK to visit but who would want to live there?

G
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grayling
NZ is not bad .....as far as third world countries go.

OK to visit but who would want to live there?

G
Chinese people mostly!

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.