Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just picked up our kids booklists!!!!! - $$$$

Just picked up our kids booklists!!!!! - $$$$

Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:19 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just picked up our kids booklists!!!!! - $$$$

Well,

Daughter's first year at school and son starting another year. Thought we'd go with the booklist thing. Handed it in to the recommended suppliers and picked it up today......Only $180 lighter!!

I about fell away. Spent nearly $300 just recently on my daughters school uniform....and it's a state school.

Back to earning some pennies..

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just picked up our kids booklists!!!!! - $$$$

Originally Posted by Stitch
Well,

Daughter's first year at school and son starting another year. Thought we'd go with the booklist thing. Handed it in to the recommended suppliers and picked it up today......Only $180 lighter!!

I about fell away. Spent nearly $300 just recently on my daughters school uniform....and it's a state school.

Cheers

Ginny
Are those the only fees for the year or are there more?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:17 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Well,

Cheers

Ginny
Ginny - I bought the lady next door over $30 worth of flowers and thought I might look a cheapskate! She went over the list of text books my daughter needed for next year and sorted out $300 worth. Her twin daughters are the year above and she is a govenor at the school. She was cross they changed so many year to year and that she could not supply more.

My daughter is at a "cheap" catholic private school, the book list is usually in the $400-$600 area. Her uniform to start was over $1200. We are hoping this year some items will last from last year.

My son at the local state high school in year 12, costs around the same. They have a rental system which cuts the costs somewhat.

I do know this is absolutely no difference from the UK when you have to supply items for school. The difference for me is that you may not at first have the network to understand where you can source "cheaper items" or understand the education culture. Which is exactly the same as any country but you now do not know a soul.

Education culture
(1) know a child in the year above - whose mother is not too proud to give hand me downs
(2) finding a child in the year above who your child can tolerate
(3) have the bottle to ignore your child when they say "but everyone will know its cheap/nasty/secondhand/borrowed/crap.
(4) same the world over but you are now feeling insecure cause you want the little darling to have everything cause you moved them to AUS - so if it is what you believe have even more bottle and say no!
(5) get on BE and ask about things if you do not have a local ear/mate to discuss it with

Don't panic......

As a mother, just give up spending any money on yourself and pay for the children. Teeth, school, extra tutition, surf board, medical etc etc

Most stated in jest..grounded in personal experience!

Cheers
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:23 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

The first year I was here I was told oh we just hand the booklist into the local newsagent they do al the work bla bla oh and you get 5% discount...I almost died when I went in for the stuff and it was over $200 and it was half way thro term.

The next year I thot sod this and got most of the stuff from Big W and the text books from the newsagents $150 all in and that was for a full year!!!!!

This year I got their uniforms before school finished $150 for the two. I got their exercise books from the supermarket 10c each. And I bought their text books direct from the publisher over the internet....the friggin Newsagent where I usually got them from have a $5 mark up on each text book robbing bassas. Office National is also very good and they also offer the 5% discount and give u free choccies lol.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
The first year I was here I was told oh we just hand the booklist into the local newsagent they do al the work bla bla oh and you get 5% discount...I almost died when I went in for the stuff and it was over $200 and it was half way thro term.

The next year I thot sod this and got most of the stuff from Big W and the text books from the newsagents $150 all in and that was for a full year!!!!!

This year I got their uniforms before school finished $150 for the two. I got their exercise books from the supermarket 10c each. And I bought their text books direct from the publisher over the internet....the friggin Newsagent where I usually got them from have a $5 mark up on each text book robbing bassas. Office National is also very good and they also offer the 5% discount and give u free choccies lol.
i've just done the same as the school want $208 per child (and i've got 3)! Have saved myself loads!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by glittababe
i've just done the same as the school want $208 per child (and i've got 3)! Have saved myself loads!
Im going to say to the principle at the school that he should encourage parents to buy the books direct from the supplier, can u imagine the amount of profit that bloody newsagent is making at $5 a friggin book....they should be wearin a bloody mask!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to say to the principle at the school that he should encourage parents to buy the books direct from the supplier, can u imagine the amount of profit that bloody newsagent is making at $5 a friggin book....they should be wearin a bloody mask!!!!!!!!!
we went direct to the supplier and what a difference. How can they justify a junior dictionary being marked up by $20!!!! We paid $9.99, the newsagent wanted $31!!! Oh and $15 for a calculator, we got them from Crazy Clarkes (they don't need scientific ones) for 99c!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:19 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micnic
Are those the only fees for the year or are there more?
Oh there'll be more!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:20 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Sandra
Ginny - I bought the lady next door over $30 worth of flowers and thought I might look a cheapskate! She went over the list of text books my daughter needed for next year and sorted out $300 worth. Her twin daughters are the year above and she is a govenor at the school. She was cross they changed so many year to year and that she could not supply more.

My daughter is at a "cheap" catholic private school, the book list is usually in the $400-$600 area. Her uniform to start was over $1200. We are hoping this year some items will last from last year.

My son at the local state high school in year 12, costs around the same. They have a rental system which cuts the costs somewhat.

I do know this is absolutely no difference from the UK when you have to supply items for school. The difference for me is that you may not at first have the network to understand where you can source "cheaper items" or understand the education culture. Which is exactly the same as any country but you now do not know a soul.

Education culture
(1) know a child in the year above - whose mother is not too proud to give hand me downs
(2) finding a child in the year above who your child can tolerate
(3) have the bottle to ignore your child when they say "but everyone will know its cheap/nasty/secondhand/borrowed/crap.
(4) same the world over but you are now feeling insecure cause you want the little darling to have everything cause you moved them to AUS - so if it is what you believe have even more bottle and say no!
(5) get on BE and ask about things if you do not have a local ear/mate to discuss it with

Don't panic......

As a mother, just give up spending any money on yourself and pay for the children. Teeth, school, extra tutition, surf board, medical etc etc

Most stated in jest..grounded in personal experience!

Cheers
Thanx Sandra,

That's a really big help. Wish I'd spoken to you before the boook list.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:22 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Ahhhh never thought about going to the publisher.

Cheers and good luck for tomorrow x

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:22 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by glittababe
we went direct to the supplier and what a difference. How can they justify a junior dictionary being marked up by $20!!!! We paid $9.99, the newsagent wanted $31!!! Oh and $15 for a calculator, we got them from Crazy Clarkes (they don't need scientific ones) for 99c!
Thanx for that. Will be doing that next year.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Start saving as it gets worse the older they get

Year 11 son, State school fees over $400, Uniform $200, Books $300 and lastly posh scientific calculator $140, has to be a certain one so the teacher wont have to change his to a cheaper one!!!!!!!!!!

Same son has a part time job and gets really good money for his age, I think he should cough up half

Di
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Start saving as it gets worse the older they get

Year 11 son, State school fees over $400, Uniform $200, Books $300 and lastly posh scientific calculator $140, has to be a certain one so the teacher wont have to change his to a cheaper one!!!!!!!!!!

Same son has a part time job and gets really good money for his age, I think he should cough up half

Di
$140!!!! How???Why???? My kids manage to wreck or lose everything. I will not pay out $140 for a calculator! In my day we had to use our heads! Ahhh tut tut, will start saving.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sod paying $140 for a calculator

I bought the $10 one

Luckily at my lads school we only pay for excersie books, pens, pencils and calc, all the text books are included in the $244 school fee

Don't have to buy anything at all for my daughters school
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy
Sod paying $140 for a calculator

I bought the $10 one

Luckily at my lads school we only pay for excersie books, pens, pencils and calc, all the text books are included in the $244 school fee

Don't have to buy anything at all for my daughters school
we dont pay school fees, would rather have to pay $25 for 2 books

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.