Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just HOW BAD are the mosquitos?????

Just HOW BAD are the mosquitos?????

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just HOW BAD are the mosquitos?????

To those living in and around Brisbane, Just how bad are the mosquitos, really? Are they so annoying that you can't even enjoy a nice evening outside your home? How about during the day? Thanks for your answers!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Just HOW BAD are the mosquitos?????

Originally posted by najo
To those living in and around Brisbane, Just how bad are the mosquitos, really? Are they so annoying that you can't even enjoy a nice evening outside your home? How about during the day? Thanks for your answers!
It depends !!!

On the evening of Christmas day, we were outside till 9-10pm, and I had 1 bite, but when I get bitten it comes up pretty big! I think I am allergic to the buggers. I take extra Vitamin B at times as this makes my blood less attractive to them.

My daughter had two bites, but hardly noticed it, she mentioned some itching the next day.

The Aussies around us had none !! I'm sure the blighters like UK blood.

The shops sell citronella candles etc, that can be used to keep them away.

You can also plant certain varieties of plants that they dont like, lavender is one of them.

Also Yard Guards, the electronic zapping lights, attract and kill them off. We have one on 24 hours a day, and i think the local mozzie population is getting smaller now.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Najo

They are not that bad - though all my family have been bitten in the last few weeks since we have been here. There is plenty repelants you can buy and other lotions when you have been bitten.

The hard thing to do is to encourage the kids not to scratch the bites!

Steve
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:34 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry aerial spraying has wiped out all wildlife...ah sorry...kept mosquitoes at bay for years.

Now repeat after me...there is no DDT...there is no DDT...there is no DDT...there is no DDT...there is no DDT...there is no DDT...there is no DDT...
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:41 am
ABCDiamond

To get more info on Mosquitoes look at this link Redland Council Mosquitoes

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:45 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Since you live in Toronto (as I did for 7 years) you must have been to to Torontonian's great getaway to the "cottage country"
In saying that you will know what the mozzies are like there.
Ok during the day but when night comes they are thick as thieves.
Cannucks use deep woods to ward them off, here in oz people sem to use aerogaurd spray.
Having used both I found that deep woods doesnt work as well as aeroguard and if you use it, youll have little problem with mozzie bites.
The worst place I ever encountered bites was working in newfoundland on the hibernia oil rig project where the site was located in Mosquito Cove. Guess the name says it all !!!

Reminds me of a joke:

A big mama was sitting on her front porch eating watermelon and a passerby noticed she had her legs open and no underwear on.
He thought he would do the right thing and let the woman know and so he went up to her and said "excuse me ma'am, but do you know that everyone can see your privates ?"
she quickly answered: "well yessir, but it sure as hell keps them flies off my watermelon"

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to put on approximately 30 lbs, then you wont have a problem cos they wont be able to pick you up & carry you away .
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Since you live in Toronto (as I did for 7 years) you must have been to to Torontonian's great getaway to the "cottage country"
In saying that you will know what the mozzies are like there.
Ok during the day but when night comes they are thick as thieves.
Cannucks use deep woods to ward them off, here in oz people sem to use aerogaurd spray.
Having used both I found that deep woods doesnt work as well as aeroguard and if you use it, youll have little problem with mozzie bites.
The worst place I ever encountered bites was working in newfoundland on the hibernia oil rig project where the site was located in Mosquito Cove. Guess the name says it all !!!

Reminds me of a joke:

A big mama was sitting on her front porch eating watermelon and a passerby noticed she had her legs open and no underwear on.
He thought he would do the right thing and let the woman know and so he went up to her and said "excuse me ma'am, but do you know that everyone can see your privates ?"
she quickly answered: "well yessir, but it sure as hell keps them flies off my watermelon"

Thanks for your answer!!! I was really scared that the OZ mosquitos were worse than the Mighty canadian kind!!! Very encouraging!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:55 am
WBB

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath

Reminds me of a joke:

lol

i have a disturbing picture in my head.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

The Aussies around us had none !! I'm sure the blighters like UK blood.
Yeah I noticed that too when we first got here we got savaged. My Aussie BIL said "Why drink domestic when you can get import?". Mind you he was welsh originally! (Sorry WBB and others).

Don't get them much now. I've been advised not to sit near the shrubs etc as they live in the greenery. Oh well, that's me regluar nocturnal passtime done fer.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:45 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nibbs
Yeah I noticed that too when we first got here we got savaged. My Aussie BIL said "Why drink domestic when you can get import?". Mind you he was welsh originally! (Sorry WBB and others).

Don't get them much now. I've been advised not to sit near the shrubs etc as they live in the greenery. Oh well, that's me regluar nocturnal passtime done fer.
You can't beat a couple of toddlers for keeping the mozzies off the older folks. At last they start earning their keep.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Mosquitoes love still water and puddles in shrubs and plant pots etc etc.

Bondi is nearly Mosquito free. I guess they do not like the sea breeze.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Mosquitoes love still water and puddles in shrubs and plant pots etc etc..
A tip for newcomers:
Put dishwashing liquid in any still water around the place, it kills them off.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:54 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleasant surprise about Dunedin - no mozzies so far (OK OK - it's not tropical but we are 29 degrees C today!) and only a couple of flies in the house if you leave the windows and doors open all day.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:36 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
Mosquitoes love still water and puddles in shrubs and plant pots etc etc.

Bondi is nearly Mosquito free. I guess they do not like the sea breeze.
The Flying Cockroaches get 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.