Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just had a telephone interview ...

Just had a telephone interview ...

Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just had a telephone interview ...

And guess what ... ?

Only bloody offered the first job I've gone for ...

There is a draw back though ... they want me to start 7 days after we touchdown in Perth.

Perhaps a bit too soon me thinks I figured on a holiday first.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just had a telephone interview ...

Originally Posted by Three Legs
And guess what ... ?

There is a draw back though ... they want me to start 7 days after we touchdown in Perth.

That's brilliant news mate. My advice would be to take it and hit the ground running. The comfort of knowing that you already have regular money coming in will more than compensate for the fact that you're not getting some time off on arrival. It will also help you ease into the 'Australia as home' rather than 'Australia as holiday destination' feeling.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:15 am
Just Joined

rx300 is on a distinguished road

And guess what ... ?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:22 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
That's brilliant news mate. My advice would be to take it and hit the ground running. The comfort of knowing that you already have regular money coming in will more than compensate for the fact that you're not getting some time off on arrival. It will also help you ease into the 'Australia as home' rather than 'Australia as holiday destination' feeling.
Definately, I would.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:23 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

And guess what ... ?

That's fantastic news but I can understand that you wanted a few more weeks to get settled in first. But you know the saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth - if the job is a good one that you don't want to lose, you'll just have to bite the bullet. You can always try to negotiate a later start date - in my experience of recruiting, a company will be flexible rather than risk losing an ideal person for the job.

Nicky
Nicky
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:24 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats mate

Never had a telephone interview, i think i would be :scared: im not good with interviews definately a field i have to improve before i go. And it doesnt help being 23 and stuck @ the same place for the last 6 years even though i had internal interviews for other deps which is not the same.

www.dest.gov.au/schools/careers/ciproducts.htm has some PDF guides with extensive information it is worth the download if anyone is interest, have a look.

Hoo-Roo
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

And guess what ... ?

congratulations

how scary is that though

go for it, you'll be gutted if you turn it down and you might struggle to get another!

just ask them to give you a couple of weeks to settle, surely they could manage that??!!

good luck though with whatever you decide
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:29 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

And guess what ... ?

Congratulations, that's fantastic news
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:34 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
congratulations

how scary is that though

go for it, you'll be gutted if you turn it down and you might struggle to get another!

just ask them to give you a couple of weeks to settle, surely they could manage that??!!

good luck though with whatever you decide
I agree with Debbiemc, ask them for a week or so extra to settle, if they say no I'd just go with it anyway.

Fantastic news BTW. Half your luck.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:39 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Nice one mate! Well done.

My other half only had three days between arrival and starting his job... he was still jet-lagged
It was hard, he had to still find a place to rent, car, mobile phone etc on websites and the weekends, but he managed it okay. It'll be worth it, you know it will...
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:05 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic!! yeah, just ask them if you can take a weeks annual leave before ya start!

Congratulations!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone ...

Having thought about the initial offer, it's likely I'll ask them if it's possible to start the job on the 3rd April bearing in mind we only arrive in Perth on the 5th March and we are in a short term rental for the first three weeks.

Add the fact that we have two boys aged 3 and 1 that need to be sorted in day care whilst we look for a longer term rental and furniture plus at least one car and I'd like to have some time with the family in the sun prior to the 9 - 5 life and my mind is almost made up.

If they're not interested I'll look elsewhere, besides, I'm gonna try and eek another $5 -10K out of them anyway

It's a tough call but the employment situation in my field looks very healthy so I can afford to be a little picky ...
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:37 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

And guess what ... ?

Excellent news ...congrats

Get another week or so out of them though ...
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:37 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone ...

Having thought about the initial offer, it's likely I'll ask them if it's possible to start the job on the 3rd April bearing in mind we only arrive in Perth on the 5th March and we are in a short term rental for the first three weeks.

Add the fact that we have two boys aged 3 and 1 that need to be sorted in day care whilst we look for a longer term rental and furniture plus at least one car and I'd like to have some time with the family in the sun prior to the 9 - 5 life and my mind is almost made up.

If they're not interested I'll look elsewhere, besides, I'm gonna try and eek another $5 -10K out of them anyway

It's a tough call but the employment situation in my field looks very healthy so I can afford to be a little picky ...
Hope it all works out well for you mate. Sound like you've got it ll sorted.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

my advice would be to take it... dont forget the benefits of working..

an instant group of friends who you can meet up with, will point you in the right direction for stuff... you can always be looking for another one when you get there..

good luck anyway

Lisa.x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.