Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just had a fabulous morning

Just had a fabulous morning

Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just had a fabulous morning

My wife and I have just returned from a terrific hour and a half at my daughters primary school. They are having a Commonwealth Games Day and to celebrate the pupils chose 12 different countries. We had Wales, England, Scotland (best dressed obviously), Pakistan, Bermuda, Cyprus, Canada, Jamaica (my daughters class), Fiji, New Zealand, India and Australia.

Every kid dressed up, they put on a fabulous procession, they brought in the baton to Chariots of Fire, the headmistress was dressed up as the Queen, we had a former Aussie athelete presenting medals, they played instruments, sang songs and handed out drinks in the 30 degree heat ! The kids introduced everything and were incredibly confident and comfortable. And all wonderfully organised and fun.

I'm not sure what the education is like but my daughter is incredibly happy and loves it here. The kids are off to spend the rest of the day playing games and sports to celebrate the Commonwealth Games. Both my wife and I walked away saying this is exactly the sort of reason we came here for - fun, enjoyment, community spirit and still educational. And we're all camping out in the school grounds this weekend - bbq and fun with the Dads and kids !
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:04 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just had a fabulous morning

Originally Posted by haggis supper
My wife and I have just returned from a terrific hour and a half at my daughters primary school. They are having a Commonwealth Games Day and to celebrate the pupils chose 12 different countries. We had Wales, England, Scotland (best dressed obviously), Pakistan, Bermuda, Cyprus, Canada, Jamaica (my daughters class), Fiji, New Zealand, India and Australia.

Every kid dressed up, they put on a fabulous procession, they brought in the baton to Chariots of Fire, the headmistress was dressed up as the Queen, we had a former Aussie athelete presenting medals, they played instruments, sang songs and handed out drinks in the 30 degree heat ! The kids introduced everything and were incredibly confident and comfortable. And all wonderfully organised and fun.

I'm not sure what the education is like but my daughter is incredibly happy and loves it here. The kids are off to spend the rest of the day playing games and sports to celebrate the Commonwealth Games. Both my wife and I walked away saying this is exactly the sort of reason we came here for - fun, enjoyment, community spirit and still educational. And we're all camping out in the school grounds this weekend - bbq and fun with the Dads and kids !
That sounds lovely. Nice to hear something positive for a change
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
That sounds lovely. Nice to hear something positive for a change

I thought it was about time we had some good news from Australia.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Made a nice change to read about someone having a 'positive' experience! Good on ya - glad you enjoyed it - bet you were proud eh!? Isn't it great how laid back they can be here and all have a good laugh - brilliant stuff!!

Just reading some other posts and quite frankly, most people appear to be on a real downer!

Cor blimey folks - don't forget I actually LIVE with BIX - any sympathy accepted

Cld I tell you some stories......................... sorry you'll all have to wait, patience is a virtue

Have a good time this weekend - dont eat too many of those lurverly OZ sausages now will you Dont think theres any chance of a HAGGIS do you - we actually sell 'tinned' yes 'tinned' haggis in the British Sweet Shop where I work - yuk

Take care
Gill
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:54 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya, but I've gotta ask, did anyone dress up in the English national dress and what was it?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi

Made a nice change to read about someone having a 'positive' experience! Good on ya - glad you enjoyed it - bet you were proud eh!? Isn't it great how laid back they can be here and all have a good laugh - brilliant stuff!!

Just reading some other posts and quite frankly, most people appear to be on a real downer!

Cor blimey folks - don't forget I actually LIVE with BIX - any sympathy accepted

Cld I tell you some stories......................... sorry you'll all have to wait, patience is a virtue

Have a good time this weekend - dont eat too many of those lurverly OZ sausages now will you Dont think theres any chance of a HAGGIS do you - we actually sell 'tinned' yes 'tinned' haggis in the British Sweet Shop where I work - yuk

Take care
Gill

We both felt very proud to be a part of it - everyone made such an effort and it showed. It was better than some west end shows I've been to !

Moving out here can be tough and I guess this forum is great because when people are having a bad time they get different viewpoints and suggestions. But it's not all bad and days like today make us realise why we came here and hopefully my post puts a balance on things.

As for Haggis I'm fortunate in that there is a very good British butcher not far from us who does a very decent haggis. Much better than that tinned nonsense - you need to smother that in curry sauce to make it palatable !
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds excellent just the sort of thing that we have come to expect of the schools here.
My kids did similar things on UN day at school in Belgium. They were very lucky at the school as they had kids from most of the countries and each group got together to do displays on their home countries. The kids brought in food from their home country and there was an open afternoon where the parents wandered around and checked out the different group's work and then had a buffet tea (we took trifle which was hilarious as noone had a clue what it was except the people from the UK and ireland hee hee).
The school here is very open and it sounds like it is similar to the one that your kids go to. Class 5 and 6 are off on their school camp soon and it is a tradition that loads of parents go along and camp with them and great fun is had by all. This year however they are sharing the camp with another school for the first time so the parents are all getting together to go during the day and come back at night rather than sit and moan about it. I love the education system here it is working really well for all of my children (academically able or not), the community spirit is second to none.
Nicky
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Its just the same for us, we know how lucky we are.
On Sunday we walked along our beach, not a soul in sight, it is goegeous, you just cant buy it.
I have just come back from the park with my little dog,the park so well kept.
i dont walk round in rose tinted glasses, just ordinary sunglasses.I know the downs, but the ups outnumber them.
Have a good day
Denise
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by diddy
Good onya, but I've gotta ask, did anyone dress up in the English national dress and what was it?
We had some bizarre costumes...

England: lots of St Georges flags, some Man U tops (sigh) and just red and white t-shirts. They got to meet the Queen - favouritism !

Wales: dragons, a Glasgow Celtic strip (??!!), lots of green and red.

Scotland: most of the kids in kilts, tartan, faces painted ala Braveheart. Some See U Jimmy wigs.

New Zealand - lots dressed as sheep !

Cyprus - they played Zorba the Greek. Got the crowd going.

India and Pakistan - very colourful and the boys had cricket outfits on.

Bermuda - they all carried little triangles. My wife had to explain.

Jamaica - wigs, blacked up faces (!), dressed as the bob sleigh team.

Australia - all green and gold and some dressed as kangaroos.

Clearly most parents had gone to a lot of trouble. Very very entertaining. Glad I taped it.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Jamaica - wigs, blacked up faces (!), dressed as the bob sleigh team.
Brilliant but can you imagine them being allowed to do that in the UK :scared: . Not putting a negative slant on a great thread but it's just simple harmless fun and no doubt the kids had a ball and probably learnt stacks in the process. It's that relaxed (sometimes) mentality that I love here.

Gill. You know we have the utmost sympathy for you . We can turn our computers off when we want to
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Just had a fabulous morning

We had some bizarre costumes...

England: lots of St Georges flags, some Man U tops (sigh) and just red and white t-shirts. They got to meet the Queen - favouritism !

New Zealand - lots dressed as sheep !
Great to hear about this kind of event HS - can't wait to join you in Melbourne. I wonder what our 2 would have gone as as they are dual British / New Zealand nationals? Sheep in man United tops??

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:25 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Great to hear about this kind of event HS - can't wait to join you in Melbourne. I wonder what our 2 would have gone as as they are dual British / New Zealand nationals? Sheep in man United tops??

Cheers

Buzzy
My daughter is also a kiwi/pom and we are heading for Melbourne in a few weeks. What part of NZ are you from? Area of Melbourne you headed?

Shane
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Cheers

Buzzy
There were some confused wee kids out there - or some confused parents. And we're still trying to work out the song the played for the Welsh procession.

How old are your 2 ?

I'm back to work tomorrow BB so will follow up with those chaps as promised.

Cheers,
Col
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I see a post like this, I always assume the person has seen a dolphin. Maybe 2.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Makes a change to the usual drudgery of "lovely" weather, expensive braces and feral nature of suburban Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.