Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just got our container and prob with computer can anyone advise.

just got our container and prob with computer can anyone advise.

Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default just got our container and prob with computer can anyone advise.

We just got all our shipment of belongings (hurray!), however we have just plugged the tower in (not connected to anything else) just so we can check it and it powers up for a few seconds and then turns itself of. It's as if there is not enough juice coming through to it, we are just using a travel adapter to plug it into the mains as i do with my laptop. Any ideas!!!!
thx lisas.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:38 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future
Default Re: just got our container and prob with computer can anyone advise.

Originally Posted by lisas
We just got all our shipment of belongings (hurray!), however we have just plugged the tower in (not connected to anything else) just so we can check it and it powers up for a few seconds and then turns itself of. It's as if there is not enough juice coming through to it, we are just using a travel adapter to plug it into the mains as i do with my laptop. Any ideas!!!!
thx lisas.
I would open it up and check that everything is still seated properly inside, i.e. cards memory etc.. But make sure you take static precautions first.

You may also want to check by connecting keyboard and monitor etc. first. It may be complaining of no keyboard. And you may see on the monitor error messages etc.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

thx lisas.
I had the same problem with one of mine, two things casued it. First the graphics card was loose, probably all the banging and vibrations caused it. Secondly the motherboard bios battery was flat from not being powered for so long. Leave it plugged in the mains for a good few hours then try again. Enter the bios and check all the settings as if the battery did go flat it has possibly lost some settings. Check your CPU is seated properly as this might have come loose too.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:45 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, plug in the keyboard , monitor and mouse and then fire it up.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

thx lisas.
You could see if you can get a new power lead with an ozzie plug in the end [towers use a thing called an IEC socket at the end of the lead, like a kettle plug] in case the lead/plug/adapter is funny. You will need one at some point anyway.

I'm surprised the whole thing is powering down. Take the case off. Switch it on - when it then appears to switch off does the cpu and power supply fan go off ? If so its a power supply problem. If not it's something else possibly. Make sure all cards and memory cards are probably seated also.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:55 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
You could see if you can get a new power lead with an ozzie plug in the end [towers use a thing called an IEC socket at the end of the lead, like a kettle plug] in case the lead/plug/adapter is funny. You will need one at some point anyway.

I'm surprised the whole thing is powering down. Take the case off. Switch it on - when it then appears to switch off does the cpu and power supply fan go off ? If so its a power supply problem. If not it's something else possibly. Make sure all cards and memory cards are probably seated also.

The powering down doesn't surprise me. Most bios's can do this if things aren't in correctly.

Wouldn't have thought changing lead would make any difference. As long as its pushed in correctly should be ok with an adapter.

I would plug all the keyboard etc. in and try, and then try pushing memory, video card etc. down properly. Check the hard drive leads are plugged in properly etc.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Its cos its upside down
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Hi all , thx for the replies, the upside down one was funny.

When the computer is all connected up, it powers up for 30 seconds and a message comes on the monitor with; 'problem could be or cpu fan has failed, turning off to protect cpu'.

any ideas with ths, if not we'll have to ask the shippers to sort it.

thx again
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:05 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

When the computer is all connected up, it powers up for 30 seconds and a message comes on the monitor with; 'problem could be or cpu fan has failed, turning off to protect cpu'.

thx again
something is loose. The bios is kicking in and shutting pc down. Have you opened her up?

check vid cards etc are secure in the pci slots. They are the cards, like modem sound and gfx card at back of pc, that when you look inside click into slots on the BIG motherboard.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

thx again
There should be a small connector from the CPU fan to the motherboard, this may be loose. Check this connection and try again.

Let us know how you get on.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

thx again
Take it to a tech ,to claim you have to prove electrical derangement, in other words the H/D, is not working due to the move. .........good luck....mm
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:53 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just echoing most of the above advice - almost certainly something is loose - no biggy. Just open the case and check all is seated/ connected correctly.
Oh and discharge yer static before doing so, as someone else said.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future

thx again
Sounds like the CPU is overheting due to the fan not working. Switch it on with the case open so you can see if the fan on the CPU is working. As others have said it is prob just a loose connector etc.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

lisas;

open the pc check the cable to the motherboard for the fan on the CPU, then if it carry's on switching of its the power supply thats all, how do i know i work in I/T mon to friday & we come across this all the time, you can obtain a power supply from any computer shop
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: just got our container and prob with computer can anyone advise.

thanks everyone, took your advice, pushed everything in, even though nothing seemed loose but there was also a copious amount of dust which we busted and now all seems fine, happy 2008

thx again
lisas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.