Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just got back from Brisbane WOW !

Wikiposts

just got back from Brisbane WOW !

Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:55 pm
Badge

<QUOTE However, there are examples of where relatively low standards or inefficienies prevail in Australian life, probably compounded by the fact that most couldn't care less or simply don't notice. >

well observed and funny!

it has been said that aussies "complain", poms "whinge".

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 5th 2003 at 2:56 am.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Re: just got back from Brisbane WOW !

Hi Lynn
Thanks for PM, glad you had a great time in Brisbane, Have you put your application in yet? Sorry can't remember what you said in the Brighton meet seems such along time ago.
good luck with your plans, we have been here for 3 months now Perth that is, I am beginning to feel homesick, not for the place just people that i miss, especially my parents so looking forward to their visit. I think once they see we are settled then they might make plans to follow us over for good, hope so anyway.

anyway good luck,
take care yve
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:59 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
what a load of bollocks. If you knew anything about special forces then you would know that several hundred SAS troops are what is known as a force multiplier - they can bring a fair bit of firepower to bear and call down airstrikes etc .....

that is why in my opinion the several odd thousand sent to Iraq by Australia was a good contribution to SF in theatre. The Brit SAS would be quite happy to have the Aussie SAS on hand. We had a few Aussies and we were glad to have them with us. taught us a bit.

badgers
The Brits and Yanks sent in SP forces in far greater numbers than Australia , Australia sent 150 SAS that was their best effort and only effort they had no more ground troops involved.
Australian air power was 14 planes all fighters good for sod all in a ground War and 3 ships , like I said piss poor.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:14 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

<QUOTE However, there are examples of where relatively low standards or inefficienies prevail in Australian life, probably compounded by the fact that most couldn't care less or simply don't notice. >

well observed and funny!

it has been said that aussies "complain", poms "whinge".
Typical Aussie whinge?

Forgotten tactics?

THE bleating from the Wallabies claiming foul play at the hands of South Africa is amusing. I suspect the Springboks may have studied the not-so-old footage of Wallaby tactics and learnt from the masters.

I remember All Black Frank Bunce held in a green and gold headlock and punched nine times in the head in front of a gleeful Aussie ref who said "play on". Had he retaliated, Frank Bunce could have sent most of his tormentors off the field on stretchers. Instead he simply said: "Well, I did give the guy an elbow, it's all part of the game."

My message to the Wallabies is this: if you don't want your mascara to run, take up ballet.
KEVIN MOLLOY, Gosnells.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:37 pm
Badge

and your point is??!!!

why didn't you go then if you were so keen to see more numbers?

That the Aussies allocated probably a fair amount of their SF was a significant contribution enough..

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:47 pm
Banned

and your point is??!!!

why didn't you go then if you were so keen to see more numbers?

That the Aussies allocated probably a fair amount of their SF was a significant contribution enough..
No the British sent 33% of their forces , Australia less than 5% .

Old Aug 5th 2003, 8:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Typical Aussie whinge?

Forgotten tactics?

THE bleating from the Wallabies claiming foul play at the hands of South Africa is amusing. I suspect the Springboks may have studied the not-so-old footage of Wallaby tactics and learnt from the masters.

I remember All Black Frank Bunce held in a green and gold headlock and punched nine times in the head in front of a gleeful Aussie ref who said "play on". Had he retaliated, Frank Bunce could have sent most of his tormentors off the field on stretchers. Instead he simply said: "Well, I did give the guy an elbow, it's all part of the game."

My message to the Wallabies is this: if you don't want your mascara to run, take up ballet.
KEVIN MOLLOY, Gosnells.

Yes, it's a bit rich for the aussies to come out with this, considering some of things they have got up to in the past & still get up to. They are masters at sly digs & cheating. I'm not saying that the Boks are angels, but Eddie Jones is talking crap.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Florida_03
Look, give your mates all the baubles you like.

It is the imperialist way to give someone a piece of tin with a bit of ribbon when their son had his guts blown out in a war he cared nought about.

You like baubles and what they stand for? That is sad.

So ask the relatives of your WAR DEAD what they think!
Have you ever served in the Military ?, judging by your comments you have not. You know nothing of honour, duty or sacrifice. Those soldiers knew what they were getting into when they signed up. Throughout history soldiers have fought in conflicts that they have not agreed in, but they do it for their comrades, mates, buddies whatever you want to call them, so that they don't let those around them down, so that they can trust each other (I'm not talking about generals here, rather the privates & corporals who have to actually go out & do this shit). Sometimes soldiers find themselves in situations that are not of their choosing or making, but real soldiers do something about it. Having been through some of this, I know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you should think before making comments like this.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:23 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
Have you ever served in the Military ?, judging by your comments you have not. You know nothing of honour, duty or sacrifice. Those soldiers knew what they were getting into when they signed up. Throughout history soldiers have fought in conflicts that they have not agreed in, but they do it for their comrades, mates, buddies whatever you want to call them, so that they don't let those around them down, so that they can trust each other (I'm not talking about generals here, rather the privates & corporals who have to actually go out & do this shit). Sometimes soldiers find themselves in situations that are not of their choosing or making, but real soldiers do something about it. Having been through some of this, I know what I'm talking about.

OK...thought about...so you think medals are important and giving one to the English Prime Minister even better? Fine.

Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Look, I know I'm not the brightest person on the forum, but could someone explain how this thread about Lynn and her family visiting Brisbane managed to degenerate into a slanging match about warfare and soldiers? PB, why didn't you just start a different thread and leave us in peace.......?
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

OK...thought about...so you think medals are important and giving one to the English Prime Minister even better? Fine.

I have no opinion about about that, it is not something that I have thought about, I don't give a toss. I was replying to your comment, "It is the imperialist way to give someone a piece of tin with a bit of ribbon when their son had his guts blown out in a war he cared nought about". About this you don't know what you are talking about.

Yes, I do think medals are important when awarded for bravery or sacrifice, giving one to Blair ?, like I said I don't give a toss.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:55 am
Not here

Originally posted by Amazulu
I have no opinion about about that, it is not something that I have thought about, I don't give a toss. I was replying to your comment, "It is the imperialist way to give someone a piece of tin with a bit of ribbon when their son had his guts blown out in a war he cared nought about". About this you don't know what you are talking about.

Yes, I do think medals are important when awarded for bravery or sacrifice, giving one to Blair ?, like I said I don't give a toss.
So it isn't the imperialist way?

I say it is...you say is isn't...fine.

I understand your comments about honour and I personally know many soldiers from WW2 and Vietnam and their medals sit at the back of drawers and cupboards because they are to them nothing more than baubles made of tin and ribbon.

About this they know what they are talking about.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 11:02 am
Not here

Originally posted by Pollyana
Look, I know I'm not the brightest person on the forum, but could someone explain how this thread about Lynn and her family visiting Brisbane managed to degenerate into a slanging match about warfare and soldiers? PB, why didn't you just start a different thread and leave us in peace.......?
It happens often, when the Anti-Australian crowd make their generalised aspersions and someone has a go at them. The Anti-Australian propagandists refuse to be reasonable or to shutup or concede.

Their derogatory and unsupportable statements should be challenged as soon as they are made and hence threads digress.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 11:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

So it isn't the imperialist way?

I say it is...you say is isn't...fine.

I understand your comments about honour and I personally know many soldiers from WW2 and Vietnam and their medals sit at the back of drawers and cupboards because they are to them nothing more than baubles made of tin and ribbon.

About this they know what they are talking about.
About this I know what I am talking about. 2 years of bush warfare, counter insurgency, Fireforce, interdiction, hot pursuit, being shot at & doing the killing (SA Infantry, Namibia/Angola 1985-87). To me it's important.

About this I know what I am talking about.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:31 pm
Banned

The medal was for the British people whom the PM represents this Honour has only been awarded to two none Americans both are Bits.
How did little Johnnys mucking out of Mr Bushes stables go , the big differance is the respect the Yanks have for the Brits unlike the comtempt the Aussies have for Poms .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.