Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Wikiposts

Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Old May 29th 2006, 1:46 am
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Originally Posted by cresta57
No you need to take it within three months of arriving to legally drive if you have PR

Yep there are only 6 different sets of questions if you fail you'll have to go back the next day & so on...

Not an annual one like the U.K but you have to either sell with a roadworthy or without. The roadworthy is simlar to an MOT you only need one if your selling the vehicle

Err work was easy to find, friends are harder to replace but it's only a matter of time. We have a lot of good mates both Aussies and expats.

See above. Work easy, licencing a nightmare

Prices are still rising in some areas and stalling in others it's a huge state and to general a question.
Thanks to everyone who has replied back to me on these questions.
The drinks are on me
Cheers Everyone!
Mark.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

4569 expats are waiting at the bar
Old May 29th 2006, 1:59 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
4569 expats are waiting at the bar

Waiting behind bars more like
Old May 29th 2006, 12:45 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

hi jodie n mark - 'answers':

1. Is it true you need to take a driving test after 3 months of arriving.
yes - but do you know how many ex-pats are driving without one after 2, 3, 15 years??!!

2. Do you just sit a written test and no practical?
yes - 30 questions and you have to get 27 right?

3. I've heard cars don't require an MOT in QLD. Is this true?
yes kinda - as other peeps have explained

4. Hand on heart, did you feel worse about leaving family & friends behind, or more worse about finding work, settling in etc.
i think if you feel so bad about leaving the uk etc behind then you'll more than likely end up back there! work can be hard depending on what you do - i had it easy; and settling in...we live on the sunshine coast 'where its beautiful one day and perfect the next' - once you get a place, and kids are happy at school/kindy, and most importantly your local football team love you - THEN you're settled

5. Has finding work been generally ok to find, or has it been a nightmare/harder than you thought?
for some this will be the killer - i know of expats that come out and have really struggled to get the work they want and decided to return to the uk. also there are some that might insist on having the EXACT same job here and that might not be poss or realistic so there has to be some give - you'll see a few peeps who have changed career here (queenlsand) which might be necessary to get A job to start with

6. Are house prices generally rising,falling or dropping
shi**ing myself today cos saw on the news that if bribie island erodes then parts of caloundra get swept away! NOT A GOOD DAY FOR REAL ESTATE HERE!!!

7. Finally, can anybody recommend Springfield or Springfield lakes suburbs
i know there's a brand new community and university just been built there - am sure you can get web info and prob hard copy stuff sent to you - good luck guys, hope it all works out,

Joey
Old May 29th 2006, 1:25 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark

As all the other have said just the written test before the 3 months is out. Therees no MOT but if you want to sell a car it needs a roadworthy certificate. Finding work was no problem for myself and im pretty happy in the role I have. On a very small sample in Forest Lake prices seem to still be rising we bought our 4x2 for $320k a year ago next door 3x2 has just gone up for sale at $345k. Springfield Lake should be a good place it is a similar design to Forest Lake except SL is at the beginning of the building phase and FL is all but finished. Check out FL to see what the finished product at SL will be like as they will be pretty similar I feel (designed by the same people).

I like your little catchphrase...mine is the other way around body in Brisbane but the heart is still very much in Nottingham.

TT

Last edited by TrickyTree; May 29th 2006 at 2:38 pm.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:48 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Actually, you don't need a RWC when you sell a car. You only need it if you sell a car with it's Registration. If registration has lapsed you can sell the car without a RWC, as long as the buyer is aware of the fact. When the owner then goes to register the car, they need a RWC to register it.

In fact, you need a RWC any time you register a car in QLD, even if you just swap registration between states.
Old May 29th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

1. Is it true you need to take a driving test after 3 months of arriving.
If you are a permanent resident rather than a temporary one, yes.

2. Do you just sit a written test and no practical?
Theory only, no practical.

3. I've heard cars don't require an MOT in QLD. Is this true?
That is true. You only need to have a checkover done if you are selling the car. As a result there are a lot of old bangers on the roads!

4. Hand on heart, did you feel worse about leaving family & friends behind, or more worse about finding work, settling in etc.
Hated leaving Family/Friends behind, but now (after hard work and persistence) I'm starting to build up quite a cool little social network. I probably found it harder from the social perspective than the career perspective (but then I am living with parents, so not as much pressure to get work ASAP)

5. Has finding work been generally ok to find, or has it been a nightmare/harder than you thought?
It's very different over here, their selection process does take longer. I hav just got my first job after 7 months of trying. However don't be discouraged, getting work where I live (Sunshine Coast) is reportedly more difficult than elsewhere in QLD.

6. Are house prices generally rising,falling or dropping.
They have slowed down at the moment (Sunshine Coast), and not many people are actually buying...even though it has slowed down, it's still quite expensive...

7. Finally, can anybody recommend Springfield or Springfield lakes suburbs.
Never been there I am afraid!
Old May 29th 2006, 9:11 pm
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Hi Mark

As all the other have said just the written test before the 3 months is out. Therees no MOT but if you want to sell a car it needs a roadworthy certificate. Finding work was no problem for myself and im pretty happy in the role I have. On a very small sample in Forest Lake prices seem to still be rising we bought our 4x2 for $320k a year ago next door 3x2 has just gone up for sale at $345k. Springfield Lake should be a good place it is a similar design to Forest Lake except SL is at the beginning of the building phase and FL is all but finished. Check out FL to see what the finished product at SL will be like as they will be pretty similar I feel (designed by the same people).

I like your little catchphrase...mine is the other way around body in Brisbane but the heart is still very much in Nottingham.

TT
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't help but notice your name(TrickyTree)
Could i be brave enough to think you follow The Reds being a Nottingham lad.

Mark.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jodie n' Mark
The drinks are on me
Cheers Everyone!
Mark.
Maybe you could get your chance here.... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...3&page=4&pp=15

We meet quite regular and most of us are heading to Brisbane. In fact some of us are already there!!
Old May 30th 2006, 6:42 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

The drinks are on me
Cheers Everyone!
Mark.
Cheers for the offer Mark but can't get the drinks in in Springfield Lakes they haven't built the bloody pub yet :scared:

Loz x
Old May 30th 2006, 11:13 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Yep for my sins I have been a season ticket holder at the City Ground for more years than I remember. Just logged on this morning to find that Calderwood has become our new boss lets hope he has more success than the last few and gets the reds back up a division or 2.

Still one of the parts of home I would like to be able to bring over to Oz is the bi-weekly trip to watch Forest with my mates and the nights that followed.

I see your a Nottingham lad who is your team?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't help but notice your name(TrickyTree)
Could i be brave enough to think you follow The Reds being a Nottingham lad.

Mark.
Old May 30th 2006, 7:55 pm
We Have Arrived!

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Yep for my sins I have been a season ticket holder at the City Ground for more years than I remember. Just logged on this morning to find that Calderwood has become our new boss lets hope he has more success than the last few and gets the reds back up a division or 2.

Still one of the parts of home I would like to be able to bring over to Oz is the bi-weekly trip to watch Forest with my mates and the nights that followed.

I see your a Nottingham lad who is your team?
Yes another long suffering Forest lad who was a season ticket holder, went to most away games, an then a certain Mr Platt arrived on the scene. Got so demoralised I ended up watching Forest reserves. Just go to the odd game now

Anyway, how long have you been out in Oz? Have you managed to settle find work etc. I'd like to think me and the missus are about a year off from coming to Oz if our visa is approved shortly. I'm a printer by trade so just looking around the suburbs at the moment to get a general feel.

Back to the football I noticed on your catchphrase you mention Queensland Roar FC. Do you watch these now. If they play football as well as the stadium looks get me a ticket!

Cheers
Mark.