Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childrens Car Seats, to take?

Childrens Car Seats, to take?

Old May 31st 2006, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Question Childrens Car Seats, to take?

Below is the reply I've just received from Transport SA - NO is the answer!

In reference to your email regarding child restraint systems please be advised that the following standards apply for child restraints in South Australia, and as far as I am aware throughout Australia:

a device that complies with the Australian Standard Specification for Child Restraining Devices for Passenger Cars (AS E46) and is clearly marked with the certification mark of the Standards Association of Australia;

a device that complies with Australian Standard Specification for Child Restraints for Passenger Cars and Derivatives (AS 1754) and is clearly marked with the certification mark of the Standards Association of Australia;

a device that complies with -

(i) the requirements of the United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 - Child Seating Systems; and

(ii) that is marketed in Australia as the "GM - Child Love Seat" (being General Motors part No.9677326); and

(iii) that is clearly labelled as complying with that standard.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that the car seats you have will have these markings as most manufacturers only comply the seats to the local market.

Internet site: www.transport.sa.gov.au
Old May 31st 2006, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Childrens Car Seats, to take?

Originally Posted by jothefw
Below is the reply I've just received from Transport SA - NO is the answer!

In reference to your email regarding child restraint systems please be advised that the following standards apply for child restraints in South Australia, and as far as I am aware throughout Australia:

a device that complies with the Australian Standard Specification for Child Restraining Devices for Passenger Cars (AS E46) and is clearly marked with the certification mark of the Standards Association of Australia;

a device that complies with Australian Standard Specification for Child Restraints for Passenger Cars and Derivatives (AS 1754) and is clearly marked with the certification mark of the Standards Association of Australia;

a device that complies with -

(i) the requirements of the United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 - Child Seating Systems; and

(ii) that is marketed in Australia as the "GM - Child Love Seat" (being General Motors part No.9677326); and

(iii) that is clearly labelled as complying with that standard.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that the car seats you have will have these markings as most manufacturers only comply the seats to the local market.

Internet site: www.transport.sa.gov.au
Aussie car seats need to be anchored by a strap to a standard fixed metal bracket. This is a pain in many cheaper hatchbacks as the bracket is near the back of the car in the boot, so the strap stops you using the boot for luggage. If you do decide to risk bringing a British car seat over, then bear in mind that putting your kid in the front seat would be a dead giveaway to any passing police cars that you are carrying your child illegally.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:43 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what age a child can travel without a car seat?
Old May 31st 2006, 8:44 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought our compressed polystyrene booster seat which was great. I've just bought another Aussie one today which is slightly bigger but it's exactly the same.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:48 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
We bought our compressed polystyrene booster seat which was great. I've just bought another Aussie one today which is slightly bigger but it's exactly the same.
Do you mind me asking you how much it was? We've been quoted about $60 to hire a seat for 2 weeks, just wondered if it would be cheaper to buy one
Old May 31st 2006, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Clippies
Do you mind me asking you how much it was? We've been quoted about $60 to hire a seat for 2 weeks, just wondered if it would be cheaper to buy one

It's a Britax Supercruiser.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:55 am

It's a Britax Supercruiser.
Lol, how much it was not what seat it was
Old May 31st 2006, 9:00 am
Account Closed

Lol, how much it was not what seat it was

God, sorry - and I haven't even started on the wine yet!

It was about 60 UK pounds.

I have one if anyone would like it. Would post to NSW area. Suits 6 month old ( or sitting up well) through to 3.5 yr old.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:04 am

God, sorry - and I haven't even started on the wine yet!

It was about 60 UK pounds.

I have one if anyone would like it. Would post to NSW area. Suits 6 month old ( or sitting up well) through to 3.5 yr old.
Blimey £60 for a booster! Ok, erm so I'll hire one for two weeks then
Old May 31st 2006, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

We have 2 of those square, booster car seats. Is it worth bringing them?
They are ones that just sit on back seat and just make seat belt fit across the child better. Also helps children to see out of car window!!
Sharon
Old May 31st 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pioneer
We have 2 of those square, booster car seats. Is it worth bringing them?
They are ones that just sit on back seat and just make seat belt fit across the child better. Also helps children to see out of car window!!
Sharon
Those ones are fine, they don't need anchored.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Well now I'm confused because basically my seats are boosters but they happen to have that back bit (that stops them falling over when they nod off!) so how is that different?

If it hasn't got that Australian standard it hasn't got the standard surely and that's that!

And I'd never put a child in the front seat before 12 yrs old, especially not in a car seat!
Old May 31st 2006, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Ah, you mean how much was the one I bought today? Where is that wine?

I paid $60 but it should have been $75 but I got it in KMart. It was a brand called Mother's choice.

I think your hire seat still works out cheaper.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jothefw
Well now I'm confused because basically my seats are boosters but they happen to have that back bit (that stops them falling over when they nod off!) so how is that different?

If it hasn't got that Australian standard it hasn't got the standard surely and that's that!

And I'd never put a child in the front seat before 12 yrs old, especially not in a car seat!
Yes, my seats have that and they sell them here. The Aussie ones have larger 'side wings' for side impact.

Here's BigW's page

http://www.bigw.com.au/Pages/DEPARTM...y/carseats.asp