Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just decided to start the process!

Just decided to start the process!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

simonmoore will become famous soon enough
Smile Just decided to start the process!

After a good few months of thinking about moving to Oz my girlfriend and I have finally decided to start the application process!

I spent a month over in Sydney last year over Christmas and New Year and found the place fantastic, ever since then England hasn't been the same, especially as I work a lot in London and Birmingham - weather, congestion, people etc..

We just pass the points test on 125points and plan to look at all of the documents at the weekend in detail and start the process.

Im sure it has been stated before but if you have any tips etc. that would be appreciated.

Getting quite excited at the thought although its a long way off and I still need to be accepted.

Let me know what I need to look out for and any websites that will be of use/interest besides this one!

Many thanks in advance!

Simon
Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:11 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just decided to start the process!

Originally Posted by simonmoore
After a good few months of thinking about moving to Oz my girlfriend and I have finally decided to start the application process!

I spent a month over in Sydney last year over Christmas and New Year and found the place fantastic, ever since then England hasn't been the same, especially as I work a lot in London and Birmingham - weather, congestion, people etc..

We just pass the points test on 125points and plan to look at all of the documents at the weekend in detail and start the process.

Im sure it has been stated before but if you have any tips etc. that would be appreciated.

Getting quite excited at the thought although its a long way off and I still need to be accepted.

Let me know what I need to look out for and any websites that will be of use/interest besides this one!

Many thanks in advance!

Simon

Welcome to the madhouse
If you keep this site bookmarked you will find all the answers to your questions..

good luck on the road
Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all

best of luck. however i would recommend you go back to oz for a while longer (maybe a 12 month working visa) to see if it's really for you as 4 weeks won't give you a view of all the good & bad things it has to offer. but if you and your girlfriend are determined then go for it, you only live once.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Get to know the DIMIA web site like the back of your hand. Read all the FAQ at the top of this forum, and don't forget the immigration forum. The search facility works well too, providing you put in the right words - been there, done that
Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:38 pm
Professional Princess

Many thanks in advance!

Simon

Simon, have you passed your skills assessment yet?

Get a folder with the clear plastic wallets and some dividers.

And put each job you have had separate to the other. All the relevant info on each job, keep in plastic wallets in its own section.

Do searches on this site with regards to stuff that applies to you, print it out and read it.

Learn to love the DIMIA site and check it all the time. Aussie immigration can change quickly, make sure you are updated.

Start your research now on Australia, dont just research one part, do it all.
There are alot of people that migrate, spend a few months and realise that the UK was their 'home' after all. And there is nothing wrong in that.

But the more research you do now, the better prepared you will be.

You may not get a job straight away, it could take months, be prepared for that.

Your partner may miss her family more than she thought, allow for that.

It takes years to build good friendships, be prepared that you wont have a network of support for some time in Australia, you have to build it yourself.

If you get to Australia, nothing at all will be handed to you on a plate. Its what I call 'Buffet service', you have to get off your bum and get it yourself.

A new life can be lonely. But, if you go with an open mind and are prepared to work for your right to be happy, then you will be fine.

Another visit would be useful if you can manage it.

Good luck, I hope you get there and fulfill your dreams.

Samantha

Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:23 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Simon, have you passed your skills assessment yet?

Get a folder with the clear plastic wallets and some dividers.

And put each job you have had separate to the other. All the relevant info on each job, keep in plastic wallets in its own section.

Do searches on this site with regards to stuff that applies to you, print it out and read it.

Learn to love the DIMIA site and check it all the time. Aussie immigration can change quickly, make sure you are updated.

Start your research now on Australia, dont just research one part, do it all.
There are alot of people that migrate, spend a few months and realise that the UK was their 'home' after all. And there is nothing wrong in that.

But the more research you do now, the better prepared you will be.

You may not get a job straight away, it could take months, be prepared for that.

Your partner may miss her family more than she thought, allow for that.

It takes years to build good friendships, be prepared that you wont have a network of support for some time in Australia, you have to build it yourself.

If you get to Australia, nothing at all will be handed to you on a plate. Its what I call 'Buffet service', you have to get off your bum and get it yourself.

A new life can be lonely. But, if you go with an open mind and are prepared to work for your right to be happy, then you will be fine.

Another visit would be useful if you can manage it.

Good luck, I hope you get there and fulfill your dreams.

Samantha
Sound and logical advice - nice one!!!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:59 pm
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Just decided to start the process!

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sound and logical advice - nice one!!!
Patience...and lots of it.
First you send some skills assessment off...then you wait.

Then you get that back (hopefully OK) and you fill out all the forms....then you wait.

Then you finally get an acknowledgement and if you're lucky a request to get police checks and medicals, so you try to get them booked.....then you wait.

Then you send the police checks off....and wait a bit more.

Then you have your medicals (with bonus 'getting a bit stressed about all the diseases you may have' option:scared: ) ....and wait for the results.

Possibly by now you are getting the picture....there is a lot of waiting to be done (could be worse though, you could be 'pre-july non MODL'....don't worry, spend enough time on this site and you'll soon know what I'm talking about )

Cheers and best of luck,
Scooterpom.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the site, best of luck!

Websites to try while you're waiting for your visas :

Property: www.realestate.com.au
Jobs: www.seek.com.au
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Many thanks in advance!

Simon
Welcome

First piece of good advise, Move on over to the Immigration Australia Forum, next piece of advise, be prepared for a two year roller coaster ride.

With the help of this site all your questions will be answered.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:45 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance!

Simon
Hi Simon

Noticed your from Solihull, I used to live in Shirley, now Alvechurch ... anyway you may have already noticed that their is a West Midlands meet up this Sunday. There will be quite a few of us going and all are welcome please have a look through on this thread link for details - hope you can both make it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4&page=1&pp=15

Sel x
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sel
Hi Simon

Noticed your from Solihull, I used to live in Shirley, now Alvechurch ... anyway you may have already noticed that their is a West Midlands meet up this Sunday. There will be quite a few of us going and all are welcome please have a look through on this thread link for details - hope you can both make it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4&page=1&pp=15

Sel x
welcome simon to the site. as sel has said your more than welcome to come on suday if you can , were all at different stages of the process so there will be plenty of different experiences you can tap into about what to do with the application, so good luck and all the best darren
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:14 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Patience...and lots of it. . . .

Cheers and best of luck,
Scooterpom.
Glad I don't have to go through the 5 years of form filing and hassles getting to being an Australia Citizen.

There are 100 hurdles along the way but you always manage to get through them.

If you stick it out, it is worth all the strains and struggles.

M