Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just come back from the UK

Just come back from the UK

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about
Default Just come back from the UK

HI THERE,
I HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM A HOLIDAY IN THE UK. WE MOVED TO OZ NEARLY 3 YEARS AGO AND IT'S BEEN 2 YEARS SINCE WE LAST WENT BACK, SO I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVING STANDARDS WOULD BE. WELL WHAT A SHOCK!!!! PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WOULD I MOVE BACK. WELL NO, I COULDN'T BELIEVE JUST HOW OVER CROWDED IT IS AND HOW FED UP EVERYONE LOOKS.
FOR ME MOVING HERE IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I'VE EVER DONE. YES I MISS FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND IT TOOK A YEAR TO SETTLE IN TO A LIFE HERE, BUT I THINK IT WAS WORTH THE HASSLE.
WHATS YOUR THOUGHT'S?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just come back from the UK

Ken, can you turn your capitals off? It's difficult to read and people think you're shouting.

I guess when you get used to more space and light as there is here, going back to the UK reminds you why you left in the first place.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry about that. Yeah i guess your write, it just seems so built up and hectic. we are expecting our first baby and i think here is a better place to bring up kids. and i am know where near as stressed living here as i was living in the uk.

Last edited by ken-6; Jun 23rd 2006 at 10:31 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ken-6
Sorry about that. Yeah i guess your write, it just seems so built up and hectic. we are expecting our first baby and i think here is a better place to bring up kids. and i'm know where near as stressed living here as i was living in the uk.

So true Ken. I have three young children and they've all blossomed incredibly since we've been here. Yours will no doubt do the same. Good luck with the babe.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks we are getting exited now, i can't wait. How long have you been over here?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ken-6
Thanks we are getting exited now, i can't wait. How long have you been over here?

Since Easter Saturday of this year Ken, so not long at all. I think we're settling in nicely now. It almost feels normal ... not 'British normal' but 'Aussie normal' in that our lifestyles have changed but it's become regular for us. Great feeling. How about yourself?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Yeah it's good. i was working in IT for seven years and got fed up with it. So i fancied a change when we moved here. i didn't want all of that hassle again so i now work as a postie, which i love. just out and about in the fresh air. so life is good!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:51 am
Account Closed

I've seen you mention this before ... I love our postie. He looks like an extra from ZZTop with this huge beard... but he's ultra cool on his bike.
Glad that life's more chilled for you. My hub's still in IT but he's working remotely for the company he was with in the UK and very happy with that.

When is your baby due?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Just come back from the UK

Ah, thats so lovely to hear. early days for us, we are only just form filling, We have 4 children and of course tha main worry for me is 'will they settle ok', nice that your kids have settled in well ipom and good luck to you ken for your new arrival, how exciting. ooo, where abouts are you both living? we are looking sunshine coast, Brisbane ish area, we have never visited Oz but plan on doing sometime in the future, no idea where to start but hey ho.

Claire
x
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by flump
Ah, thats so lovely to hear. early days for us, we are only just form filling, We have 4 children and of course tha main worry for me is 'will they settle ok', nice that your kids have settled in well ipom and good luck to you ken for your new arrival, how exciting. ooo, where abouts are you both living? we are looking sunshine coast, Brisbane ish area, we have never visited Oz but plan on doing sometime in the future, no idea where to start but hey ho.

Claire
x

Hi Claire
I'm in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney by about an hour and a half. If you find yourselves visiting then let me know and I'll take some time to show you the best bits.
I have absolutely no doubt that children settle fast here. They're outside constantly and so in their element. No worries.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

It's due in september, so not to long now. Having to go shopping for baby bits and having to buy a new car, as our ford KA isn't big enough for a baby and the dog. LOL .
We live in Melbourne in the northern suburbs.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou very much, that very kind of you, will definately bear that inmind. Keep checking up on flights, not sure when the best time to visit is, as much as i would want to bring the kids, mum has offered to have them so me and hubby could go, i guess we'd be doing more reseach that holidaying n with 4 kids it wouldn't be that much fun for them. what made you choose to move to blue mountains, is it a rural area? or more built up?

claire
x
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:15 am
Account Closed

what made you choose to move to blue mountains, is it a rural area? or more built up?

claire
x

My hub's family are based here, so that really swayed us, but I think we'd have come somewhere like this even if his family weren't around.

It's not rural or built up! It's difficult to explain, but running up the mountains is the one single highway, off which every so often are 'villages' which are fairly well populated in the main and out towards the quieter roads into the bushy areas, they are less well populated.
The people up here commute as well as work here, so there's an excellent mix of people here - both 'city' and 'country'. It's got a lovely feel to it, and the property is excellent value starting around $365 for a 4 bed house on good land.
Apart from all of that, it's absolutely beautiful, within reach of good ameneties and larger towns and the weather is cooler ... so if you want to be a bit cooler you go up the mountains for the day!

If you click on my Flickr link at the bottom in my sig, and then look at the 'My Back Yard' set, you'll get a good idea of what it's like up here.
It's certainly worth a tourist visit even if you don't plan to live here. If you want help working accom out etc, just let me know.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

All I can say is 'WOW'!!! The pics are fabulous. Thnaks again for your offers of help. watch this space!!!

Claire
x
Ps, what time is it there at the mo?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

All I can say is 'WOW'!!! The pics are fabulous. Thnaks again for your offers of help. watch this space!!!

Claire
x
Ps, what time is it there at the mo?

'NSW is currently 9 hours ahead of the UK. So currently it's 11.31pm here whilst it's 2.31 in the afternoon in the UK.

Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.