Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ahhhhh too many people, ABC, you have to STOP saying how nice it is! LOL.

Still looking for a boat mh?
Sure will be when we get there, MrsD. If I buy a boat before we've got a house I'm gonna be in big trouble with Mrs929
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:15 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Petra, I think thast right (going on when I was at school anyway). They chose their senior certificate (A level) subjects at the end of Year 10 here (turning 15), do them in year 11 & 12.
Crikey A Level??? He's just chosen his GCSE subjects for year 10....(god forbid we're still here in sept for him to start the courses!!!) Here, he would do GCSE's in Year 11 and then A levels at college.

Do they do other exams before that? junior certificate?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:18 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
She's loving it. She goes to Sheldon though, we didn't like her teacher when she started at Victoria Point Primary, so we switched schools.

They are making chocolate easter eggs this week I'm going to do the taste test , I hope
Glad she's enjoying it!! What didn't you like about her teacher at VP Primary?

BTW - I'm very good at testing chocolate .....if I was there I'd help you....wouldn't want you struggling all on your own!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by artep
Crikey A Level??? He's just chosen his GCSE subjects for year 10....(god forbid we're still here in sept for him to start the courses!!!) Here, he would do GCSE's in Year 11 and then A levels at college.

Do they do other exams before that? junior certificate?
Junior Cert is year 9 & 10, I think the equivilent of O levels?
then senior Certificate in Year 11 & 12, the equiv of A levels?
He would only be chosing his subjects at the end of year 10, then would do those subjects for the next 2 years in year 11 & 12, then tertiary entrance exams (forgotten what they call it now! used to be TE score) at the end of year 12.

Im pretty sure thats right, now Im confusing myself .
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mh929
Sure will be when we get there, MrsD. If I buy a boat before we've got a house I'm gonna be in big trouble with Mrs929
haha, you had better ask John, the other half of Ev'n'John what happens when you dont get your boat first . The money all disappears into the blackhole in the house called renovations :scared:
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:34 pm
....is FAB

Junior Cert is year 9 & 10, I think the equivilent of O levels?
then senior Certificate in Year 11 & 12, the equiv of A levels?
He would only be chosing his subjects at the end of year 10, then would do those subjects for the next 2 years in year 11 & 12, then tertiary entrance exams (forgotten what they call it now! used to be TE score) at the end of year 12.

Im pretty sure thats right, now Im confusing myself .
Now I'm confused!!!!! Junior cert can't be the equivalent of O Levels if it was my middle one is doomed!......doomed! I tell ya!!!!
At least you've cleared up my concern over when they 'choose' their subjects for their final 'biggie' exams. I'm relieved that my lad will hopefully have at least a year to settle before he has to decide which ones to take, AND he'll be choosing at the same time as all the others. Not arriving after they have and therefore having a limited choice......phew!!!

Thanks Mrs D!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by artep
Glad she's enjoying it!! What didn't you like about her teacher at VP Primary?

BTW - I'm very good at testing chocolate .....if I was there I'd help you....wouldn't want you struggling all on your own!!
During her time at the state school, she seemed to go downhill, possibly because she had just changed schools, part way through a term.

Homework did not get checked, or even noticed if she didn't do it. The teacher didn't seem interested when we went to discuss things, saying, "she will be OK". We wanted to be involved and talk to the teacher at the Parent Teacher interview, and see what could be done to help, but we just got a casual don't worry about it.
Maybe I was in a bad mood at the time, but I saw red, and within two days we moved her to a Private school, (for $5,000 per year).

The attitude in the private school is a marked difference, and her levels have built back up, she loves going to school again, and her confidence has really increased.

I have heard that many children do well at the Victoria Point State school, so I am thinking it was just that one teacher, who is a bit too "laid back".

Other schools in Victoria Point are:
Faith Lutheran Christian School , 132 Link Road, Victoria Point - 07 3820 5200 - Cost about $2,000 per year

St Rita's Catholic Primary School, 39 Benfer Road, Victoria Point - 07 3207 6628 - not sure about cost

I think I can handle the chocolate tasting on my own
Thanks for the offer of help though

Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

We called into the Victoria Point Primary school and picked up a prospectus. First impressions were good: It is a little large in terms of number of students - I think at +800 it has more children than the other schools in the area - but the upside of that is they get more funding which I hope means good resources.

My two children will definitely be going there, initially anyway – we will be living just a stones throw away so it will be very convenient for us.
Just hope they like it – and that neither of them gets Erika’s former teacher .:scared:

They have certainly both been enjoying school so far in Australia - much happier (and doing better) than when they were in England (the school they attended in Warrington was a highly regarded one as well).

Just hope it’s an Australian thing and not because we have been lucky with the school in Wollongong.

I'll keep you posted as to how they get on.

Last edited by Thomaz; Apr 1st 2004 at 11:12 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:38 am
Ev'n'John

haha, you had better ask John, the other half of Ev'n'John what happens when you dont get your boat first . The money all disappears into the blackhole in the house called renovations :scared:
Don't feel sorry for him!
He's still getting a boat - it will just be a bit smaller than originally planned!

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Ev'n'John
Don't feel sorry for him!
He's still getting a boat - it will just be a bit smaller than originally planned!
The ones you float in the bathtub dont count, do they?
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

The ones you float in the bathtub dont count, do they?
Got me thinking now - perhaps when Mrs929 said I could have a boat, thats what she meant
:scared:

They dont do Jetski's that go in the bath do they?
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mh929
Got me thinking now - perhaps when Mrs929 said I could have a boat, thats what she meant
:scared:

They dont do Jetski's that go in the bath do they?
Yep, Its an accessory for the Barbi Doll, my daughters got one

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 9:18 am
....is FAB

Thanks ABC & Thomaz for your replies!!

ABC - Faith Lutheran School seems cheap for a private school?? Thought it would be more......maybe they all vary a lot.

Thomaz - VP Primary certainly has plenty of kids!! Do you know what the class sizes are like?

Petra
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:26 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Artep,
The school my daughters in is also quite big (state school) there are 4 year 1 classes which surprised me but only 23 in each class. The principal told us that is about average in the area (we're at Wellington Point.)
Michaela
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Yep, Its an accessory for the Barbi Doll, my daughters got one
Arrrrrgh, the dream is shattering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.