Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Old Apr 1st 2004, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Okay, it may not be the ideal time to buy in Australia but after just over six months of renting I am just so relieved to be back on the housing ladder again.

The house is in Victoria Point…. regular readers of this forum will no doubt have heard of this suburb – ABCDiamond for one, has been singing it’s praises and for good reason! I came up with my family from Wollongong a couple of weeks ago specifically to look for a suitable property in the area (and to attend the Brisbane Expats meet which was great!) – viewed a total of 16 different house in Wellington Point, Ormiston, Cleveland, Redland Bay and of course, Vicky Point. The former three suburbs are nice and have the advantage of being close to a train station (VP is about 10 minutes away from the station at Cleveland) but seemed to be a little more expensive. Redland Bay was the cheapest area we looked at but is just that bit further from the train station and, whilst it does have a good little shopping area, you need to go to VP to do any major shopping. This we felt is a big plus with VP, a new Shopping Centre with a K-Mart to come soon and eventually a cinema complex. It certainly seems to be an up and coming area.

Anyway, we move up in about a month and hope to catch up with some of you already enjoying the delights of Brisbane then – gotta say, it’s a lot nicer than Wollongong (apologies if I have offended any Wollongongites).

Old Apr 1st 2004, 2:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just bought a house in Brisbane!

Originally posted by Thomaz
Okay, it may not be the ideal time to buy in Australia but after just over six months of renting I am just so relieved to be back on the housing ladder again.

The house is in Victoria Point…. regular readers of this forum will no doubt have heard of this suburb – ABCDiamond for one, has been singing it’s praises and for good reason! I came up with my family from Wollongong a couple of weeks ago specifically to look for a suitable property in the area (and to attend the Brisbane Expats meet which was great!) – viewed a total of 16 different house in Wellington Point, Ormiston, Cleveland, Redland Bay and of course, Vicky Point. The former three suburbs are nice and have the advantage of being close to a train station (VP is about 10 minutes away from the station at Cleveland) but seemed to be a little more expensive. Redland Bay was the cheapest area we looked at but is just that bit further from the train station and, whilst it does have a good little shopping area, you need to go to VP to do any major shopping. This we felt is a big plus with VP, a new Shopping Centre with a K-Mart to come soon and eventually a cinema complex. It certainly seems to be an up and coming area.

Anyway, we move up in about a month and hope to catch up with some of you already enjoying the delights of Brisbane then – gotta say, it’s a lot nicer than Wollongong (apologies if I have offended any Wollongongites).

Great news Thomaz, good to hear that you enjoyed the meet & to hear that you liked Brisbane enough to decide to move here.

You're right, VP has certainly gone ahead since I was down that way last, if ABC keeps going it will get a bit too crowded soon though . I know Im another one to sing the praises, but the whole bayside area really is just so nice, Im very glad to be living in the area
Old Apr 1st 2004, 2:48 am
ABCDiamond

Well done Thomaz

Did you mention a housewarming sometime ?

Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Well done Thomaz

Did you mention a housewarming sometime ?

Yes, definitely... but you may need to bring a paintbrush with you
Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:31 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news Thomaz, enjoyed meeting you at Coochie, I hope you and your family settle here, we all go on about it but it really is a lovely area!

Look forward to the housewarming, we're handy with a paintbrush

Michaela.

P.S. We havnt forgotten about our housewarming either for those who wondered but we're waiting for our stuff to arrive, otherwise it'd be bring your own plate, glass, fork etc !!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mcmercer
We havnt forgotten about our housewarming either for those who wondered but we're waiting for our stuff to arrive, otherwise it'd be bring your own plate, glass, fork etc !!!
Careful with your suggestions, i've seen that happen here in QLD

Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations - the areas you mentioned are exactly the same as the ones we intend to look at. We land 30th May and will be in Cleveland for up to 3 months til we decide exactly where to settle.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

It looks like the BBQ's around here are going to be getting busy

Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:53 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mh929
Congratulations - the areas you mentioned are exactly the same as the ones we intend to look at. We land 30th May and will be in Cleveland for up to 3 months til we decide exactly where to settle.

Glad you're enjoying it!
Ahhhhh too many people, ABC, you have to STOP saying how nice it is! LOL.

Still looking for a boat mh?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:03 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

We too are looking at those areas.... Particularly Victoria Point and Redland Bay.

I would be interested to hear anyone's points of view about the local high schools as this is one of my major concerns. My eldest lad is about to turn 14 and is currently in year 9 over here. He's just had to choose his 'options' for year 10. Do they have similar in Oz? If so, when do they choose them?

My worry is by the time we've sold this piggin' house and get over there, other kids will have chosen theirs, then there won't be any places left on the courses my lad would want! Sheesh...it's hell being a parent to a teenager..
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:20 am
Ev'n'John

Yes, definitely... but you may need to bring a paintbrush with you
Congratulations Thomaz and family!

We're moving into our new house in Ormiston in a couple of weeks, so there should be a few house-warming parties for you to look forward to when you arrive!
(Thanks to the "Dagboy Family Painting Service", you won't need a paintbrush for ours either!)

Good luck with the move...

Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by artep
We too are looking at those areas.... Particularly Victoria Point and Redland Bay.

I would be interested to hear anyone's points of view about the local high schools as this is one of my major concerns. My eldest lad is about to turn 14 and is currently in year 9 over here. He's just had to choose his 'options' for year 10. Do they have similar in Oz? If so, when do they choose them?

My worry is by the time we've sold this piggin' house and get over there, other kids will have chosen theirs, then there won't be any places left on the courses my lad would want! Sheesh...it's hell being a parent to a teenager..
I dont know enough about schools yet, only up to Primary year 3 so far

Have you tried contacting the schools direct and asking them ?
One web site for you.
Victoria Point State High School

Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:58 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I dont know enough about schools yet, only up to Primary year 3 so far

Have you tried contacting the schools direct and asking them ?
One web site for you.
Victoria Point State High School
Thanks ABC, contacting the schools direct is probably going to be my next step. I have the link you sent already in my favs, Victoria Point High looks ok from the looks of their site. One bonus is that their LOTE subject is German, one which my son has been doing since year 7. By the looks, they don't 'choose' until year 10, ready for year 11.....fingers crossed!!!

You say you know up to year 3? My daughter is in year 3, my other son is in year 6....about to do his SATS!! How's your year 3 finding it???

Petra
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:02 pm
Rocket Scientist

Thanks ABC, contacting the schools direct is probably going to be my next step. I have the link you sent already in my favs, Victoria Point High looks ok from the looks of their site. One bonus is that their LOTE subject is German, one which my son has been doing since year 7. By the looks, they don't 'choose' until year 10, ready for year 11.....fingers crossed!!!

You say you know up to year 3? My daughter is in year 3, my other son is in year 6....about to do his SATS!! How's your year 3 finding it???

Petra
Petra, I think thast right (going on when I was at school anyway). They chose their senior certificate (A level) subjects at the end of Year 10 here (turning 15), do them in year 11 & 12.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Petra
She's loving it. She goes to Sheldon though, we didn't like her teacher when she started at Victoria Point Primary, so we switched schools.

They are making chocolate easter eggs this week I'm going to do the taste test , I hope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.