Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just bloody typical

Just bloody typical

Old Aug 9th 2003, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sundarize
It was said in an earlier post that we were asking for trouble in making arrangements before we exchanged contracts, but that misses the point.

Under English law, anyone can back out at any time up to exchange. As the searches etc take so long, its usual for the exchange to be only 48 hours before completion anyway. Whichever way you turn, you have to take a risk as flights, shipping etc have to be booked well in advance.

Anyway, friends...... I've blown the f**ker out. I phoned him and said the deal is off, and he was almost in tears (good - hope his wife divorces him for being spineless git)

We taking solice from the following ;

Have more viewings lined up. Have advertised for more money and might get an increased offer.

At least we are not buying our dream home in Britain on the back of this, so there is no one else to let down.

My employer is relieved that he can keep me for a bit longer - I keep the car, fuel card, phone, laptop, pension etc for as long as it takes and I only have to give 1 days notice. (No bad eh?)

We have cancelled car hire, hotel etc and because we still have more than 14 days to go, no charge.

Gives us more time for exchange rate to recover (or worsen - yes thank you PB)

And.... I get to spend time with your guys !!

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy a lovely 4 bed house in a Derbyshire Village, try this one....

http://www.vebra.com/home/includes/v...75&pid=8472776

What a nice place that should sell in no time...................
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Good for you, hopefully things will work out and quickly, were you able to change the dates on your air tickets? I cant imagine the stress you are under.

Good luck
Lynn
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:53 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by porkchop
No, The problem is the media hype on the falling house prices.
Buyers are standing off or expecting sellers to cut the price, in case house prices do fall.
Latest reports from Lenders and Land Regestry show house prices are still rising but at a slower rate. But the gullible general public believe the media. But then you are a great media fan arent you PB. Hope you get a bargain and prices dont fall.

PC
I agree with PB. The market price is what willing buyers and sellers will accept. The media do not set market prices or accept offers.

I know that everyone is a bit stressed out at present about selling houses, but does nobody remember the bleating that went on about greedy sellers and gazumping only last year when the market was steaming ahead. If the media are talking up the chances of a crash, thats the way it goes. They are at least counterbalanced by the likes of Nationwide and Halifax surveys.

Yes - the English system is crap. But it is the same system you bought your house under, and you just have to make the best of it. Realistically priced houses are selling quickly, and the sky is not falling!!!!

For those who are panicking about the market or houseselling at the moment, take a big deep breath, and think how lucky you are to be selling now rather than 5-10 years ago like many other immigrants did. Do you think they are now moaning about the price they got - I doubt it, they are busy living their new lives to the fullest (or in the case of those like PB are praying every day for a UK property crash so they can immigrate back and buy at an internationally realistic price).

ps. if our buyer pulls out then I will ****ing scream. And then I'll pull myself together and put the house back on for 20k more.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
I agree with PB. The market price is what willing buyers and sellers will accept. The media do not set market prices or accept offers.

I know that everyone is a bit stressed out at present about selling houses, but does nobody remember the bleating that went on about greedy sellers and gazumping only last year when the market was steaming ahead. If the media are talking up the chances of a crash, thats the way it goes. They are at least counterbalanced by the likes of Nationwide and Halifax surveys.

Yes - the English system is crap. But it is the same system you bought your house under, and you just have to make the best of it. Realistically priced houses are selling quickly, and the sky is not falling!!!!

For those who are panicking about the market or houseselling at the moment, take a big deep breath, and think how lucky you are to be selling now rather than 5-10 years ago like many other immigrants did. Do you think they are now moaning about the price they got - I doubt it, they are busy living their new lives to the fullest (or in the case of those like PB are praying every day for a UK property crash so they can immigrate back and buy at an internationally realistic price).

ps. if our buyer pulls out then I will ****ing scream. And then I'll pull myself together and put the house back on for 20k more.

I'll watch your progress with interest....................
Old Aug 11th 2003, 1:53 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sundarize
I'll watch your progress with interest....................

Good.............if it helps you then thats great!

My point is, have a good rant for sure, but then calm down and work out your next move with a clear head.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

I think after our experiences, I would definitely keep the house on the market 'til exchange if I was selling here again, instead we thought we would be good sports and told the agent not to take any more offers on our place as soon as we'd agreed a price, It wasn't until we threatened to put it back on the market that our buyer's got their act together and sorted their side out, you just have to be tough and just think of number one sometimes!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with you Nell. We took our house off the market to give our buyers time to sell their's - they asked nicely. Plus it was the only offer and some vendors who'd turned down their offer previously came back to them the same day and agreed to accept their offer and take their house off the market. They liked our house better but weren't prepared to risk losing both if we left ours on the market. We checked with estate agent that this was all true.

Now their chain is mucking about I wish we'd just left it on the market longer and found someone else. It's staying on the market now until someone exchanges. I don't even want to think about all the cleaning that involves...
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:37 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

ALL estate agents are capable of being sensible and although you accept an offer and are instructing solicitors and etc. they can keep offering the house FOR SECOND STRINGS and they explain this to the new prospects - that they can ONLY HAVE THE HOUSE if the first purchaser falls down.

I intend to do this now as I was too trusting with the previous people - all three lots - but they seemed so nice GRRRRHHHH

Do not believe anythign the purchaser tells the estate agent - even if when checked it seems ok - Only feel safer when the process has cost them a fair bit of money - full survey etc. then it makes sense that they will not pull out.

I have put a stipulation in the particulars of sale for the solicitors that .....there will be no further negotiation in the price.....
This weeds out the Gazunderers before the day of exchange becuase they know you will refuse to lower the price at the last min ute.

This cleared out the first two of my 'buyers' without too much loss of time. Just the last ****** who didn't spend much he only had a mortgage valuation which is about £80 plus VAT so obviously was not too serious.
I should have seen the writing on the wall then - however as someone recently said 'hindsight has 20-20 vision'
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Yafm - hope you get there soon.

Both houses for sale were with the same (very good) agent so we knew our buyer was telling the truth. So far he's been honest with us - just slow and not making any effort to hurry the others in the chain along. Has spent money on a full survey (c£400) three months ago because we insisted it only came off the market if a surveyor was sent round asap to show 'good faith'. Now he sounds vague about the house sale, says "I hope it works out but I'll believe it when it happens", sounds depressed and mentions relationship problems.

Our buyer's making no effort to MAKE it happen by sending letters down the chain or whatever to agree an exchange date. In theory, both the next two people in the chain are all ready to exchange (mortgage offers through etc) but the last person is mucking about. Too many links down the chain for us to be able speak to them directly and the second-to-last person is being all polite and won't harass their buyers to get on with it or put their flat back on the market.

Aargh!!! I can't stand it...

Good luck to everyone else in the same boat.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought this might cheer all you stressed people up:
Attached Thumbnails Just bloody typical-dog.jpg  
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:17 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by southerner

Nice post pray keep it up.

Old Aug 12th 2003, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nell m
I think after our experiences, I would definitely keep the house on the market 'til exchange if I was selling here again, instead we thought we would be good sports and told the agent not to take any more offers on our place as soon as we'd agreed a price, It wasn't until we threatened to put it back on the market that our buyer's got their act together and sorted their side out, you just have to be tough and just think of number one sometimes!

In Canada a seller and buyer settle on a price, The buyer puts say $500.00 in trust, They then agree on all subjects removed by a certain date, They both also agree on a completion date,
But the seller if he is smart will ask and always gets a 72 hour clause in other words if another buyer puts in an offer the buyer has 72 hours to come up with the money. it's a really good way to go.......... done it lots of time........