Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just back from NZ

Just back from NZ

Old Jul 11th 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just back from NZ

Hi, Just got back from my visit to NZ, Spent a week having a good look round New Plymouth, Opunake and Pungarehu (have bought a house in Pungarehu! :scared: we aren't applying for residence til next year, just hope we get in and we havent just bought an expensive holiday home!) then spent second week having a quick look round the rest of the north island and thought I'd post my impressions if anyone's interested.

New Plymouth is nice, small population (about 60,000) I went round most of the shops, checking availability and noting prices of stuff to see whether it'd be worth shipping or buying new, there was nothing I could think of that you couldn't get over there (except decaf teabags - couldn't find them anywhere!) Voiles (sheers or whatever you want to call them) were few and far between, but nets aplentiful.

There were some really nice furniture shops, lots of contemporary stuff. No shortage of clothes shops. Pak'n'save - the supermarket was similar to Kwik save: price 'em low, stack 'em high philosophy, also went in Countdown and woolworths on my trip round the rest of the north, all similar, but preferred woolworths, I dont know whether it was just that the staff were friendlier or what as it wasn't that different from the other two (concrete floors made it seem a bit cash n carry-ish).

Out of all the areas in New Plymouth, Merrilands was the most upmarket (and expensive), the only bad area was Marfell all the other areas were fine.

Napier was ok, the seafront is very restrained (no gaudy souvenier shops or amusement arcades, even the ice-cream shops were set back on side roads) deserted beach, windy, but very sunny.

Taupo was beautiful, we'll definitely be bringing the kids there on holiday, lots to do and see.

Roturua was interesting; spas on every corner, I was expecting the smell to be constant, but it comes in waves, went to the Tamaki Maori Village - touristy, but educational and really good fun.

Wish we could move out there now, If I hadn't left the hubby and kids here, I'd probably have stayed!

Nell
Old Jul 11th 2003, 6:50 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you expand on what Napier was like, its where we intend to live.

Thanks
Kara
Old Jul 12th 2003, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

hi

Spent a couple of days in Napier, Most of the houses I saw looked well kept, some beautiful gardens, orange and lemon trees full of fruit in most gardens (and its the middle of winter over there), there were big stores on the outskirts of town, a big woolworths and countdown, the main run into town, Kennedy Street, is lined with huge palm trees, it was like walking through beverly hills!

The shopping area was concentrated in one place, at the end of Kennedy St and Marine Parade (the seafront) quite compact, but plenty of stores, lots of really nice restaurants, although didn't have much time to sample.

There is a nice (black pebble) beach, the national aquarium, and marineland along the Parade, nice playpark for kids and a skate park for the older ones.

I didnt look at the houses apart from the ones on the main roads, so couldnt tell you what the suburbs were like. if there's anything specific you want to know, ask, I'll try to help
Old Jul 12th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Carpenter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just back from NZ

Originally posted by nell m
Hi, Just got back from my visit to NZ, Spent a week having a good look round New Plymouth, Opunake and Pungarehu (have bought a house in Pungarehu! :scared: we aren't applying for residence til next year, just hope we get in and we havent just bought an expensive holiday home!) then spent second week having a quick look round the rest of the north island and thought I'd post my impressions if anyone's interested.
Hi, Thanks for posting I'm always interested to see posts about the differant towns.

Can you give a little more info on the smaller towns Opunake and Pungarehu. What sort of facilities, bars, restaurants and shops etc are there. If you lived in these towns would you still need to go to New Plymouth for shopping or night life etc.

Thanks

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2003, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Pungarehu is more like a hamlet than a town, there's only the Primary school, a dairy (sells bread, milk, etc plus icecream and fish n chips), a 'Taranaki Farmers' which sells farm supplies (and also serves as a post office) a golf club and the Catholic Church, but there's enough houses to feed the primary school, Surf highway 45 goes right through from new plymouth (it goes through a few other populated areas, Oakura is probably the biggest of those (apparently Tom Cruise reckoned Oakura had the best fish n chips when he was filming The Last Samurai) and on to opunake.

Opunake has a couple of Pubs, most kinds of shops (close early on Saturdays) Including two small supermarkets, Bank etc and a really nice Cafe called The Sugar Juice Cafe, it does all different coffee's, homemade savouries and cakes and has sofas and comphy chairs and a vine-covered courtyard out the back., Most people just go to the pub, but you could go to New plymouth if you wanted more variety and were prepared to either not drink (to drive back), stay over in a hotel, or get a taxi (about £25 from new plymouth to opunake) so if a few people went, it would be viable. There's no public transport covering the surf highway but the drive would only take about 50 minutes.

There's plenty of clubs and bars in New Plymouth and you probably would want to do your main shopping there, there's a place for processing Homekills on the way in to new plymouth, and as it's a big farming community; plenty of opportunity to buy the odd cow or sheep!, most people have barbies at home with friends or go to the pub rather than go to new plymouth.

The drive along the surf highway is stunning, with the sea on one side and the mountain on the other, it certainly beats the drive from Mansfield into Nottingham I have to do here!

There is a little black-sand bay in opunake where you can drive right onto the beach and of course theres the surfing beaches all along the highway, that are supposed to be among the best in the world.

I suppose I'm biased as I've bought a home there, but for me it's the ideal place, quiet enough to be out of the rat race, but close enough to anything you could want within a short drive
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:24 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Pungarehu is more like a hamlet than a town, there's only the Primary school, a dairy (sells bread, milk, etc plus icecream and fish n chips), a 'Taranaki Farmers' which sells farm supplies (and also serves as a post office) a golf club and the Catholic Church, but there's enough houses to feed the primary school, Surf highway 45 goes right through from new plymouth (it goes through a few other populated areas, Oakura is probably the biggest of those (apparently Tom Cruise reckoned Oakura had the best fish n chips when he was filming The Last Samurai) and on to opunake.

Opunake has a couple of Pubs, most kinds of shops (close early on Saturdays) Including two small supermarkets, Bank etc and a really nice Cafe called The Sugar Juice Cafe, it does all different coffee's, homemade savouries and cakes and has sofas and comphy chairs and a vine-covered courtyard out the back., Most people just go to the pub, but you could go to New plymouth if you wanted more variety and were prepared to either not drink (to drive back), stay over in a hotel, or get a taxi (about £25 from new plymouth to opunake) so if a few people went, it would be viable. There's no public transport covering the surf highway but the drive would only take about 50 minutes.

There's plenty of clubs and bars in New Plymouth and you probably would want to do your main shopping there, there's a place for processing Homekills on the way in to new plymouth, and as it's a big farming community; plenty of opportunity to buy the odd cow or sheep!, most people have barbies at home with friends or go to the pub rather than go to new plymouth.

The drive along the surf highway is stunning, with the sea on one side and the mountain on the other, it certainly beats the drive from Mansfield into Nottingham I have to do here!

There is a little black-sand bay in opunake where you can drive right onto the beach and of course theres the surfing beaches all along the highway, that are supposed to be among the best in the world.

I suppose I'm biased as I've bought a home there, but for me it's the ideal place, quiet enough to be out of the rat race, but close enough to anything you could want within a short drive
Hi nell m
Your post is great its good to get accurate imformation about nz.Me and Hubby were planning to go over on job seeker visa but it has all been turned upside down with the new visa rules.we were only days away from going for our medical but canceled when we found out the new changes.After a brief rethink and several calls to nz house we are now selling and going anyway as tourists and hubby will look for work when we get there.will be a big risk but immigration is isnt it and more so because we have 3 children but if we dont try we will never know.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:38 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck

I think you have the right attitude, some people are talkers (those who tell everybody what they intend to do) and others doers (you).

We were just about to post our application and then the 1st of July hit. We were lucky Rick got a job that night.

Where do you intend to settle and what does your husband do?

Kara
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Good luck to you all, the trip I've just taken has eaten a big chunk out of our savings, so we'll be trying to get jobs from here (hard, I know) or just going over and trying once we get there as we wont be able to afford to make another trip before we move, but I've had some good news - I'm a secondary teacher and they have just been bumped up from the occupational shortages list to the priory occupations list, so hopefully I shouldn't find it too hard to get a job. anything else I can help with, just ask
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:57 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

To Nell m

I am surprised teachers were not already on the priority list.

I's a kiwi who went to a small rural secondary school in the south of NZ during the early 80s. There always were a high proportion of overseas teachers at the school, particularly british.

Not that I thought of it then, but I guess the reason was that many kiwi teachers (especially the younger ones) wanted to work in the larger cities with better amenities/night life etc. Whereas for many Brits wanting to downshift these rural towns were ideal.

This might be worth keeping in mind for you and any other teachers looking for work, as I suspect that rural schools may still have recruitment difficulties, and if it suits your lifestyle this may be a fruitful place to look.

All the best
Old Jul 14th 2003, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just back from NZ

Hey guys,

Good luck to you all!! I made the jump 2 months ago and it was the best thing that I have ever done in my life!!

I hope you all get down here and enjoy it as much as I am!!
Old Jul 14th 2003, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, there are quite a few rural schools nearby, so they'll be my first port of call - just in case any other teacher's were interested, there are relocation grants of $3000 to teachers moving to teach in NZ secondary schools see http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:31 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rickandkara
Good Luck

I think you have the right attitude, some people are talkers (those who tell everybody what they intend to do) and others doers (you).

We were just about to post our application and then the 1st of July hit. We were lucky Rick got a job that night.

Where do you intend to settle and what does your husband do?

Kara
Hi Kara
The hubbys a builder so we will go wherever the work is,he,s had his qualifications assessed and got 10points and has more than 20yrs work experience,so all he needs now is a job...Hubbys sister has friends in nz so we may get some helpful advice from them.Nz house say we likely to get a job easily if we go over to look and we can obtain a work permit over in nz when hubby gets a job,we could even do medicals over there but we have deciced to get them done before we fly,they are always very helpful when you ring...We are acting quickly and selling as fast as we can because they say that later nxt year there will be even more changes to their immigration policy!!!
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Nell,
I've got a copy of the Dominion Post which has their stats results - bet you hate such things. May give you an idea of the good schools.

Give me a PM if you want me to send it to you.

Roger
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sky
...We are acting quickly and selling as fast as we can because they say that later nxt year there will be even more changes to their immigration policy!!!
Could you please explain the above comment?

Is it to change for the worse, and what sources leads you to think that changes are coming?

Ta.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to you all, the trip I've just taken has eaten a big chunk out of our savings
As has your new NZ house! Just wondered why you didn't wait until all the family was over there to check out possible houses?

You said that you can get most things out there but what about prices? Average wages in NZ seem to be about double, in dollars, the average wage, in pounds, of UK workers. Very roughly (maybe even less). But prices of goods seem to be about 3 times, in dollars, what they are in pounds over here. Is that the impression you get? Of course, other costs are lower (taxes, rent, utilities, insurance, ...) which has a significant effect but what was your impression?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.