Reload this Page >

Just back from four day Aussie visit

Just back from four day Aussie visit

Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:59 pm
Brisbane here we come!

myedsore will become famous soon enoughmyedsore will become famous soon enough
Default Just back from four day Aussie visit

Hi All
I just got back from a four day trip to Brisbane from Manchester for a job interview and thought I'd share my experiences with you all.
Firstly I flew with Singapore Airlines via Singapore and the flight was fantastic as was the service. Four cooked meals in total felt stuffed when I finally got there. I had three hours transit in Singapore airport and to be fair this was just enough. I found all electrical goods more expensive in the airport than back in the UK so anyone wanting to buy in Singapore Airport I would recommend buying before you leave.
I arrived in Brisbane on Sunday night 7pm and after clearing customs I drove to my motel in Mt Ommaney and finally got into bed about 11.30pm. Anyone after hired cars I booked online prior to leaving through 'rentnewcars.com.au' and cost me £110 for the 4 1/2 days inclusive of the extra premium to lower the excess to $330. I had a Hyundai Getz big enough for two with luggage but struggling for a family!!
I woke up the next day to the sound of Magpies and by about 5am it was completely daylight so I decided on an early start and left my room at 6am. The area I was staying in is part of the Centenary area and I must say it was very beautiful. I decided on driving around different areas to get a feel for the standard of living etc. Areas I found to avoid were Goodna, Logan, possibly Redbank Plains (although there were some nice parts too). After much driving and viewing I stumbled across Springfield Lakes and Springfield and instantly fell in love. I visited the estate agents there and property varies in price but $360,000 will get you a nice 4 bed 2 bath 2 garage + pool on a 800m^2 plot no problem. Springfield is a fairly established area so gardens tend to be more mature whereas Springfield Lakes is fairly new so everything is just starting out garden wise. There is a new school being built in Springfield Lakes and is due for opening 2007 (state high school).
Right opposite the motel was Mt Ommaney shopping centre so after breakfast sat outside at 7am at a McDonalds Cafe I decided on visiting. I went to the bank to activate my account which I had setup prior to leaving with ANZ and was told not to worry until I come back in November. I also went into Medicare an enquired and she told me to just pop back in when I return and they do it all there and then for you.
I also visited Coles, Woolworths, fruit and veg & butchers shops and also phoneshop and my generally opinion is that the prices are fairly reasonable. I mean where else in the world can you buy two T-Bone steaks for $5?
Later that day I drove to Monterey Keys (near Upper Coomera) to visit my Auntie and the drive from my Motel took approx 1 hour. I did not like the Logan area as it was extremely busy and industrialised, the rest of the driving to Gold Coast is on highways. It would seem that to get anywhere in Brisbane one has to travel on motorways. I bought TomTom + Australia maps for my pocket phone on Ebay prior to leaving and I woul suggest anyone to do the same, they were a godsend when not knowing where to go. Try reading a map at night on the motorway on your own!! (enough said).
The nights got dark very quickly and by about 6pm it was completely dark however spring has just started so it will get darker later as the year progresses.
Tuesday I spent with my potential employers as well as Wednesday morning and after successfully securing a job I left to drive to Toowoomba to visit my Grandfather. It was about a two hour drive from my Motel to Toowoomba through some barren scenery. Along the route there were plenty of fruit and veg shops selling really cheap fruit, however I was very dissappointed not to see one Kangaroo or Koala on my whole trip.
On Thursday I drove back to Brisbane and straight to the Airport to catch the flight back at 2pm. I managed a quick drive up Mount Cootha to view Brisbane. Petrol is extremely cheap at $1.09 a litre.
I hope this info comes in handy for all those planning there trips downunder and if anyone wants anymore info just contact me via private message.
Cheers
Mark
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:12 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just back from four day Aussie visit

Firstly, congrats on getting the job

Secondly, phew, that's a lot of travelling in 4 days. Are you exhausted?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Thanks for that!

Glad you had a good journey, you sure did cram a lot in 4 days!

Melis
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for making Ozzidoc homesick!

x
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:21 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that it was great - I am hoping to do a 3 week reccie...didn't realise I would be able to get it all done in a week! You must be KNACKERED
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Thanks for that it was great - I am hoping to do a 3 week reccie...didn't realise I would be able to get it all done in a week! You must be KNACKERED

What a great post! Congratulations on getting your job and doing things as you should do before you move out there.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

you achieved alot in small amount of time, well done, sounds like a well worth trip. good luck with your future plans in november etc.

sj