Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just Adelaide?

Is it just Adelaide?

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default Is it just Adelaide?

I have noticed since i have been here (15 months) that about 85% of people don't worry about their dress sense/ weight etc. I know i shall get a lot of criticism from this, but it's just my view. Is it the same all over Oz?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:04 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Desire
I have noticed since i have been here (15 months) that about 85% of people don't worry about their dress sense/ weight etc. I know i shall get a lot of criticism from this, but it's just my view. Is it the same all over Oz?
Yes.

I should add it gets worse the further north you go. You have it good where you are!

Last edited by arkon; Sep 22nd 2006 at 11:15 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:01 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Yes it sure is ,its the walking around in bare feet or thongs with dirty smelly looking feet i cant stand .
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is it just Adelaide?

I have noticed since i have been here (15 months) that about 85% of people don't worry about their dress sense/ weight etc. I know i shall get a lot of criticism from this, but it's just my view.
85% is a pretty specific figure. I'd be interested to know how you arrived at it.

Is it the same all over Oz?
No, but I can confirm that it is the same all over the West Midlands.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
Yes it sure is ,its the walking around in bare feet or thongs with dirty smelly looking feet i cant stand .
Yeah, shame on them. Everyone should wear shoes - regardless of age, circumstances, personal preference, or weather.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
85% is a pretty specific figure. I'd be interested to know how you arrived at it.

No, but I can confirm that it is the same all over the West Midlands.
Speak for yourself mate
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:23 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Speak for yourself mate
come on Curly - we know you're a dag (see into the lingo already)!

I agree with Vash, it's like nylon country where I'm sat.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
come on Curly - we know you're a dag (see into the lingo already)!

I agree with Vash, it's like nylon country where I'm sat.
Bloody nylon wont catch me in it - where do you shop
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:48 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody nylon wont catch me in it - where do you shop

...that's on another thread! I think ' what do you wish you knew before you came to Aus'. I don't wear noooo nylon....but many around these parts do.

You, so near, to the mecca of West Midlands shopping would never have to stoop to nylon-wearing.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:08 pm
Fighting my corner

Speak for yourself mate
OK, I will.

I used to wear thongs when I was a kid, but I don't anymore. I also used to go barefoot quite a lot, but these days I'm only barefoot around the house.

One of the things I miss about Australia now that I'm living in the UK, is going to the supermarket in the evening and seeing kiddies in their pyjamas and dressing gowns, out for the late night shopping with mum and dad.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:10 pm
A rather curious boy

OK, I will.

I used to wear thongs when I was a kid, but I don't anymore. I also used to go barefoot quite a lot, but these days I'm only barefoot around the house.

One of the things I miss about Australia now that I'm living in the UK, is going to the supermarket in the evening and seeing kiddies in their pyjamas and dressing gowns, out for the late night shopping with mum and dad.

see I would like that....I'm from Edinburgh, to go shopping in the evening in winter in your jamas and slippers would be suicide....unless you cut the bottom out of your sleeping bag and shopped looking like a glowworm...difficult handling the basket me thinks
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:15 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like i should fit in quite easily into the Adelaide life then
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It is a different story in the CBD's of most major cities.

Suits and ties are 'de rigeur' in many businesses.

Don't kid yourselves that there is not a 'fashion culture' in Australia.

It depends on which circles you mix in.

G
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:13 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I will.

Why would you want to go shopping in your dressing gown and pjs? have the kids had their bedtime bath and got ready for bed when the mother decides that in fact they don't have enough food for the night and that they all need to go on a family trip to the local supermarket! Wouldn't it just be better for the kids to go to bed and for mum or dad to go and do the shopping alone. I can think of many other family trips that the kids would rather do than go food shopping!!!!

As for going bare foot when out and about - it is disgusting. Put on shoes or flip flops - why would you want to walk on hot ground where people have spat, animals peed or worse and no matter of other things, like broken glass.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is a different story in the CBD's of most major cities.

Suits and ties are 'de rigeur' in many businesses.

Don't kid yourselves that there is not a 'fashion culture' in Australia.

It depends on which circles you mix in.

G
Grayling your right in what you say, in the city it's a different story. (very smart.)
I knew i would get criticism for asking the question. It's just seems that other Oz states take the micky out of Adelaide.
I have never been anywhere else in Oz and was just wondering if this was one of the factors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.