Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jump or be pushed ??

Jump or be pushed ??

Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Shadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really nice
Default Jump or be pushed ??

Living as I do here in Ireland, I have for a very long time considered heading out to Australia for the same reasons that most folks too around here. However of late I have started to wonder if its better to go of my own accord or before I'm pushed. Let me explain.

The Irish economy has been for a long time now been booming. Of that there is no question. Jobs are plentiful and the country is awash with money. Even more so now that the SSIA cash is being fed in as well which is fuelling inflation which makes us uncompetitive. However there are a few things that niggle me. Biggest of these is the fact that the sucess of this country is based sustantially on the construction. When the crash comes (and it will) we as a country will be badly hit. Wages here as well are not keeping up with inflation. New years day is now normal for bus/train/electricity/mortgage increases.

Now I'm no expert but roughly every 30 years give or take the Irish economy on cue goes into a bad recession and we all have to hit the emigrant trail anyway. It happened in the 1950's, then the mid to late 1980's and the next one I reckon is due around 2010.

I have a window of opportunity from now till then but still I wonder and worry. I could buy my own place with just a small mortgage in Australia but can barely afford anything here in Dublin.

Sorry for the rambling
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:44 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jump or be pushed ??

Originally Posted by Shadowfox
Living as I do here in Ireland, I have for a very long time considered heading out to Australia for the same reasons that most folks too around here. However of late I have started to wonder if its better to go of my own accord or before I'm pushed. Let me explain.

The Irish economy has been for a long time now been booming. Of that there is no question. Jobs are plentiful and the country is awash with money. Even more so now that the SSIA cash is being fed in as well which is fuelling inflation which makes us uncompetitive. However there are a few things that niggle me. Biggest of these is the fact that the sucess of this country is based sustantially on the construction. When the crash comes (and it will) we as a country will be badly hit. Wages here as well are not keeping up with inflation. New years day is now normal for bus/train/electricity/mortgage increases.

Now I'm no expert but roughly every 30 years give or take the Irish economy on cue goes into a bad recession and we all have to hit the emigrant trail anyway. It happened in the 1950's, then the mid to late 1980's and the next one I reckon is due around 2010.

I have a window of opportunity from now till then but still I wonder and worry. I could buy my own place with just a small mortgage in Australia but can barely afford anything here in Dublin.

Sorry for the rambling
im sorry to say but i reckon your thinking of moving for all the wrong reasons .I think if yo wanted to go for a change of lifestyle and adventure i would say it may be a better experience ,afterall australia is a construction boom society as well and when comodities come to an end australia will slump for sure .
Dont forget as stated many times on this site you may well be earning less here in aussie ,so in effect your cost of living may not change percentage wise .Good luck on your decision .
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the rambling
No idea about the ramblings. One question - do you fancy giving Aus a go? Another question - how old are you - can you get a visa easily.

Fairly simple really - well from where I am anyway
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Shadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really niceShadowfox is just really nice

im sorry to say but i reckon your thinking of moving for all the wrong reasons
No need to be sorry. I value straight talk and telling it like it is. Its certainly good to know in advance that construction money is fuelling Australia because I know EXACTLY the scenario that could play out down there as well as here. Its certainly a worry.

Dont forget as stated many times on this site you may well be earning less here in aussie
I would be earning the same. Perhaps slightly more. I have been getting job adverts in my field emailed to me so that I could gain a better understaning of the jobs market which is a help in making a decision

do you fancy giving Aus a go?
Yes I'd be up for it

Another question - how old are you

can you get a visa easily
I believe I could
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You only live once and it passes pretty quick
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

You only live once and it passes pretty quick
Age is just a number which is why I think I'm 21 all the time
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:50 am
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Shadowfox;

I say go for it while you can - lifes too short for what if's
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:24 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Once you start thinking about it it won't go away.
We thought about it three years ago but didn't go for it partly because of things that we read on this site from people who weren't happy.
However the decision not to go didn't stop me from thinking about it and now I have to do it.
I say go for it too
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for the rambling
G'day - economics are NOT a good reason to move to Oz. I would strongly recommend that you do some research and maybe even explore the possiblility of doing a reccie down here before you even consider the lengthly and costly application process. The majority of fellow emmigrants that I know here earn way less than they did before they came here. The cost of living is fairly comparable to the UK but the lifestyle is in my humble opinion second to none. In terms of getting on the property ladder here as opposed to Dublin - I had a mortgage in London on a London salary but no way will I be in a position to do that here for a couple of years at least subject to finding a "proper" job so you need to do a serious reality check. Good luck! Sue
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:30 pm
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Sorry for the rambling
I liked the ponderous post.
Only my opinion but the friends and family I have, have prospered in the last 20 years and us that are in Engerlund are the poor relatives, but when going back I see the benefit of Irelands success(bigger houses and everyone has new cars) but what they also have is debt and the social probs most of us have seen in uk for 20 yrs. Despite my families advice to take the 7 of us back I would not as Ireland is quickly becoming like the uk(good and the bad). I work in construction and will earn similiar money to in OZ as here ,but feel my family will be happier in OZ, If I were single I may have gone back to Ireland. You'll be right its alot to think about,your decision. No one can ramble like the Irish. Good Luck

Waiting on visa .M&M
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by magic.no7
I liked the ponderous post.
No one can ramble like the Irish. Good Luck

Waiting on visa .M&M
Hell of a lot of Irish on this forum then
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Shadowfox
Im from Finglas in Dublin and left there 13 years ago - before the big celtic tiger thing. I have lived in London for that time and we are now looking to move to Australia.
I have to tell you that when I return to Dublin I am so glad that I left, Its very very expensive and for what? The public transport is a joke, the roads which were recently built (M50) are too small already and people do not have money, they are all living on over inflated equity.
I am raising a little family of 3 children and have to say that we have more amenities here in London for them also and the schoold are not so archaic.
Now when it comes to Australia - at least you can afford to buy a house and the sunshine!!!! My family who have moved to Melbourne from Artane wouldnt move back there in a fit and have got jobs in Australia that they would not have got in Australia because its all about 'who' you know in Dublin
Im sure you will make the right decision, as an Irish expat Id say jump with both feet and dont look back.
Louise xxxxx
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Im from Finglas in Dublin and left there 13 years ago - before the big celtic tiger thing. I have lived in London for that time and we are now looking to move to Australia.
I have to tell you that when I return to Dublin I am so glad that I left, Its very very expensive and for what? The public transport is a joke, the roads which were recently built (M50) are too small already and people do not have money, they are all living on over inflated equity.
I am raising a little family of 3 children and have to say that we have more amenities here in London for them also and the schoold are not so archaic.
Assuming you're not a British citizen, have you thought about becoming naturalised British before you leave the UK? (especially if you feel the United Kingdom is your home). If your children are born in the UK they are British citizens by birth and you should try to have the same nationality as they have, if possible.

Are you married to a British citizen?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Jeremy
I am married to a british citizen - what would the benefits be of me becoming a naturalised Briton? Am I not entitled to the same as a british person being Irish?
Louise
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Jeremy
I am married to a british citizen - what would the benefits be of me becoming a naturalised Briton? Am I not entitled to the same as a british person being Irish?
Louise
As a non-British citizen, any benefits you have in the United Kingdom are subject to the continuing goodwill of the British government. Over time, these could change.

Most importantly, your continued right to return to the United Kingdom depends on the Immigration Rules not changing. It is unlikely to change (as regards Irish citizens) in the short term, but longer term you have no way of knowing what could happen. Your children are of course British but if you're not, then you have no guarantee of being able to join them in the United Kingdom 20-30 years down the line should you wish to do so, if at that point Irish citizens are restricted in their UK residence rights.

Plus, of course, if you are not a British citizen you cannot have a British passport.

The only way to ensure long-term that the United Kingdom remains open to you is to become a naturalised British citizen. You would not lose your Irish citizenship.

The fact you are married to a British citizen means that you can be naturalised even if you plan to emigrate. However if you choose to emigrate beforehand, you cannot normally then be naturalised from overseas.

If you want to apply for naturalisation, you should download form and guide AN from this site:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...msandguidance/

You would also now need to do the Life in the UK test: http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk

The forms and guides don't explain the special immigration status that Irish citizens have in the United Kingdom. Basically, you don't need to show that you hold Indefinite Leave to Remain. If you apply, you should include a covering letter a reference to section 5.3 of this document:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/doc...ts?view=Binary

This is from the Home Office Nationality Instructions which makes it clear that:
"Citizens of the Irish Republic, whether exercising EEA free movement rights or not, are not normally subject to any form of immigration control on arrival in the UK because of the Republic’s inclusion in the Common Travel Area (s.1(3),Immigration Act 1971)"

Send me a PM if you want more information on the process.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.