Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To jump or not to jump the insurance hurdle?

To jump or not to jump the insurance hurdle?

Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:14 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough
Default Re: To jump or not to jump the insurance hurdle?

We have this very same fear. The shippers will be here on Monday. :scared:
We have decided to insure the Denby as when I added it all up, it's nearly £2K worth of stuff, just for a bloody dinner service, and the crystal that we got for our wedding. We're taking out our own insurance with the wedding piccies etc, that is we're taking the negatives in our luggage!!!
We were lucky, a friend did our pictures, but you could always try to get the negatives from the original photographer, though you may have to pay. What price for peace of mind???
The only other things we are insuring are the big electrical items.
We must be mad!!!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vicky o
We have this very same fear. The shippers will be here on Monday. :scared:
We have decided to insure the Denby as when I added it all up, it's nearly £2K worth of stuff, just for a bloody dinner service, and the crystal that we got for our wedding. We're taking out our own insurance with the wedding piccies etc, that is we're taking the negatives in our luggage!!!
We were lucky, a friend did our pictures, but you could always try to get the negatives from the original photographer, though you may have to pay. What price for peace of mind???
The only other things we are insuring are the big electrical items.
We must be mad!!!
As you can see we're doing something similar to you; however the only electrical stuff we're insuring are our hi-fi separates. You can kick a PC case around on the floor, and it may no longer work, but it'll look OK, and it would be classed as uninsureable electrical derangement. Same for our camcorder etc.

I wouldn't be insuring anything if it wasn't for my wife's nesting instinct *sigh*
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:06 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I am SO pleased we got insurance on our stuff. Pickfords lost or broke 10% of our goods (forty odd boxes, they lost or broke four of them - imagine what it would have been like on a much bigger shipment!). I am also pleased we didn't get our insurance through Pickfords, because their customer service is atrocious, they don't seem to care that they have misplaced our things and show no interest in finding them again.

I paid an insurance premium to Marine Insurance of about 100 pounds, we are getting 430 pounds back in our claim for a broken microwave, damaged boots, a missing CD rack and a missing box which because it was labelled 'Misc' by Pickfords we have no idea what was in there apart from a vague idea it may contain a lot of sentimental momentos of holidays and things. Then again, it may contain the family heirlooms