Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

July/August weather in Queensland?

July/August weather in Queensland?

Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jopad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default July/August weather in Queensland?

Hi there,

My Mum is giving me loads of grief of what clothes to take for our reccie. My sister lives on Magnetic Island and says it has been cold over there in the shade and told us to bring lots of warm clothes such as fleeces. We are travelling up from Brisbane all the way to Port Douglas. Just wondered if you guys are over there have climatised and us Brits still here will find it warm. As temperatures over here at the moment is 20-22degrees and find it quite warm, t-shirts and jeans weather. What clothes shall we take.

Thank you
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: July/August weather in Queensland?

Originally Posted by Jopad
Hi there,

My Mum is giving me loads of grief of what clothes to take for our reccie. My sister lives on Magnetic Island and says it has been cold over there in the shade and told us to bring lots of warm clothes such as fleeces. We are travelling up from Brisbane all the way to Port Douglas. Just wondered if you guys are over there have climatised and us Brits still here will find it warm. As temperatures over here at the moment is 20-22degrees and find it quite warm, t-shirts and jeans weather. What clothes shall we take.

Thank you
hi there we recently returned from gold coast and it was about 22 -24 during the day but chilli at evening i think it will be a bit warmer up in port douglas . sure someone on here will let you know how warm it is up there .have a lovely time
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grahampaula
hi there we recently returned from gold coast and it was about 22 -24 during the day but chilli at evening i think it will be a bit warmer up in port douglas . sure someone on here will let you know how warm it is up there .have a lovely time
Many thanks for that info anything helps at the moment to get prepared. Hope you had a good time and was it depressing coming home?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The last few weeks have hovered between 17 and 24 during the day down here. It's when the sun goes down it drops sharply. If you come from the UK, you might be fooled into thinking because it's warm in the day, you'll get balmy evening - you won't. It's damned chilly. Bring the fleeces and you won't need them. Leave them and you'll freeze.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
The last few weeks have hovered between 17 and 24 during the day down here. It's when the sun goes down it drops sharply. If you come from the UK, you might be fooled into thinking because it's warm in the day, you'll get balmy evening - you won't. It's damned chilly. Bring the fleeces and you won't need them. Leave them and you'll freeze.
thanks guys
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys
Brisbane is getting 8-9 degrees overnight at present if that helps

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60900.shtml

will give you temps throughough the State
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:12 pm
Dan&Bex

danbex85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: July/August weather in Queensland?

Hi there,

Thank you
I live on the Sunshine coast (about 1 hour north of Brisbane) and it is nice during the day but it gets really cold at night. I would definitely suggest that you bring some warm clothes for night time.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by danbex85
I live on the Sunshine coast (about 1 hour north of Brisbane) and it is nice during the day but it gets really cold at night. I would definitely suggest that you bring some warm clothes for night time.
I second some warm clothes for the evening. We moved over from Canada at the beginning of May and we still find it cold in the evening.

During the day I will almost always wear a t-shirt out, although there were a couple days that were cool and windy so I needed a sweater (jumper). At night though our house is freezing since there's no heat. So I usually wear a sweater in the evening and then we cuddle up with a blanket on the couch. So it really does get cold.

One sweater, one long sleeve shirt and a light jacket would probably do it though. No need to pack a bunch of warm clothes. That's all I brought with me and I've been here a couple of months.
Have fun on your reccie.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
I second some warm clothes for the evening. We moved over from Canada at the beginning of May and we still find it cold in the evening.

During the day I will almost always wear a t-shirt out, although there were a couple days that were cool and windy so I needed a sweater (jumper). At night though our house is freezing since there's no heat. So I usually wear a sweater in the evening and then we cuddle up with a blanket on the couch. So it really does get cold.

One sweater, one long sleeve shirt and a light jacket would probably do it though. No need to pack a bunch of warm clothes. That's all I brought with me and I've been here a couple of months.
Have fun on your reccie.
Thanks for that. What time does the sun go down? I have heard it gets dark early over there!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:38 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. What time does the sun go down? I have heard it gets dark early over there!
Winter its dark shortly after 5pm and in Summer 7pm. Miss those long nights!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:21 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, around 5pm right now. I had heard about it but was still shocked when it happened. It makes sense though it is winter right now.

I haven't been here in the summer, but I do think 7pm is still pretty early for summer. In northern Canada there were times in the summer where it was light until about 11pm. So that will be a big change!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's currently some very contraversial talk of South East Queensland joining the rest of eastern Australia and adopting daylight savings....this would mean an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day in Summer. I think this would be great....currently the day seems skewed toward the morning in Summer....the sun comes up early and it means by 0630 in the morning it can be 25C+ ....pretty unpleasant when you're rushing around in the morning.

it would of course be an 'hour warmer' at bedtime so you'd want to have that A/C cranked up!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well there's currently some very contraversial talk of South East Queensland joining the rest of eastern Australia and adopting daylight savings....this would mean an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day in Summer. I think this would be great....currently the day seems skewed toward the morning in Summer....the sun comes up early and it means by 0630 in the morning it can be 25C+ ....pretty unpleasant when you're rushing around in the morning.

it would of course be an 'hour warmer' at bedtime so you'd want to have that A/C cranked up!
thanks for that,although very shocked it gets dark so early in the evening,that means we will have to make the most of daylight and get up early! Does that mean that everything closes early, such as shops etc? What time are the normal shop hours and out of curiosity what time are the normal office/working hours out there?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

thanks for that,although very shocked it gets dark so early in the evening,that means we will have to make the most of daylight and get up early! Does that mean that everything closes early, such as shops etc? What time are the normal shop hours and out of curiosity what time are the normal office/working hours out there?
Qld, even in Brisbane is somewhat the land that time forgot when it comes to shopping hours....well at the weekends anyway. Typically large stores, supermarkets close at 5pm on Saturdays, but curiously open later on Sundays 'til 6pm. I dont think there is such a thing as a 24hr supermarket in Qld?? I dont suppose the early closing at weekends is necessarily a bad thing & you will always find convenience stores open if you need to pick up something.

I think generally during the week supermarkets are open until 9pm....well in SE Qld anyway.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

I can see Magnetic Island from my patio! The weather during the day is a warm 24°C. The nights and early mornings are fresh at around 8-10°C but in no way chilly. We have just come back from the UK so can make a reasoned comparison. Bring summer cloths and a jumper or two but that's it. The temerature will be on the rise soon.

Have a great trip

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.