Reload this Page >

Joondalup -> Perth travelling time

Joondalup -> Perth travelling time

Old Jul 31st 2002, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Ian Davies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joondalup -> Perth travelling time

Hi there,

I'm hoping to move to Perth within the next few weeks and Joondalup is on the shortlist of places to live.

Looking at:

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/default.aspx

I see that the travelling time from Joondalup is about 24 minutes to Perth station by train and 1 hour to Bentley by train/bus.

Please could someone give me an idea of how long the journeys would take by car?

Many thanks in advance.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2002, 12:29 am
Just Joined

geoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Joondalup -> Perth travelling time

Ian,

The journey by car has become much easier since they built a tunnel to take the freeway under the city. It's about 35-40km, and freeway for almost 30km of this - so I reckon about 30-35 minutes, assuming a good run.

At peak times (7am-8.30am) the freeway gets pretty busy from about Duncraig to Perth, so you may be looking at anything up to 1 hour.

hope this helps

Geoff
www.aussiemove.com
Old Aug 1st 2002, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for the quick reply. Joondalup will stay at the top of my list after reading what you said. It sounds relatively convenient for getting to Perth.

Thanks again.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2002, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Hi Geoff,

Forgot to say that you have a great site there (http://www.aussiemove.com/). Lots of useful information.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:20 am
Helena

"Ian Davies" <[email protected]> wrote

> Many thanks for the quick reply. Joondalup will stay at the top of my list after
    > reading what you said. It sounds relatively convenient for getting to Perth.

And there's a lot up in Joondalup that you don't have to drive into Perth for
everything. There's a large shopping centre (Lakeside) with a couple of big grocery
shops, a very nice Italian deli, fresh fruit, bakers, butchers for meat and chicken,
KMart, Target, most of the regular chain shops for clothes and other things, etc.
Then around the shopping centre there's all sorts of amenities - theatres,
restaurants, all the fast-food places, small commercial and light industry for all
your needs - pet food, gardening, camping, auto, tiles, carpeting, DIY, etc., etc.
Joondalup's got a very good library, hospital, & university.

So along with accessibility to transportation (freeway & train), beaches, golf, and
lake, it's a handy as well as nice place to live.

As far as driving on the freeway, *when* you travel on it has a big impact on how
long it will take to get anywhere. Add rain into the equation, and it actually can
get fairly slow and clogged, especially around the Osborne Park exits (about 10km
north of the city). Rarely will it come to a dead stop, but traffic will crawl for a
bit (around 40km/h). Meanwhile, the train just whizzes by at 100km/h.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this the other day (about 10h00 and it took approx 30mins). There was hardly any traffic of significance particularly if you compare to UK stds. Don't know about the rush hour but even rush hour in Perth itself is lightning fast compared to M4/M6/M25 or Reading where I was before

Probably the biggest adjustment is the slower speed allowed on the roads e.g 100km/hr on the motorway

dpr
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Helena and dpr,

Many thanks for the additional information. I also heard from another person who said that Joondalup is a nice place to live in.

Do you think that 180,000-200,000 would be enough for a 3 or 4 bedroom place in or around Joondalup? Checking the online estate agents they seem to have some nice houses in this price range. Would that be a typical price?

Many thanks.

Ian
Old Aug 6th 2002, 3:48 am
Helena

"Ian Davies" <[email protected]> wrote

> Do you think that 180,000-200,000 would be enough for a 3 or 4 bedroom place in or
    > around Joondalup? Checking the online estate agents they seem to have some nice
    > houses in this price range. Would that be a typical price?

Yes, still possible but just barely and probably not for too much longer the way the
Perth market is going. Most of the housing stock advertised seems to be in the
$200k+ range but homes for under $200k are still around. You should be able to get a
4 bdrm, 2 bathroom (4x2) home for that price still, and definitely a 3 bdrm.

Good luck,

Helena