Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Joondalup, Perth - is it a good area?

Joondalup, Perth - is it a good area?

Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

direct2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the rough
Default Joondalup, Perth - is it a good area?

Hi can anyone advise me on whether this is a good area to invest in a residential apartment? How far is it to Perth CBD by public transport/ car?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joondalup, Perth - is it a good area?

Originally Posted by direct2dubai
Hi can anyone advise me on whether this is a good area to invest in a residential apartment? How far is it to Perth CBD by public transport/ car?
Some lovely apartments in the Town and towards the lake, Lots of possible tennants if you are thinking to rent it out with the Police Academy and University there. A very small town and very new, 10 mins to the nearest beach, fairly descent shopping mall, quite a few restraunts and a few pubs, a couple of night clubs. I quite like the place but don't go there very often.
Public Transport to the CBD about 30 mins any time of day, by car anything from 30 mins to an hr depending on the time of day.

John
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Ermmmm ...

Think Romford x10 ...

Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Ermmmm ...

Think Romford x10 ...

Is That a bad thing ?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:28 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Ermmmm ...

Think Romford x10 ...

I don't know Romford. But we rented in Joondalup when we first arrived and loved it. We now live in the next suburb along.

There is a large shopping centre, great library, the Yellagonga National Park, it's not far from the beach, train and bus station. Easy to commute into Perth for work.

It's very popular with new arrivals into Perth. Westpac (one of the large banks) run special information evenings for new immigrants at their Joondalup branch.

Gina
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:05 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Hmmm... I've also had emails about investment in apartments in Joondalup. Must be the season, or some property company is worried about the market and trying to drum up interest.

Concerns about the credit crunch and possible effects on the Australian property market aside... I've often heard Joondalup and environs described a Brit City, since it's a popular location for UK immigrants. That in itself would imply that there'd be a demand for decent rental property there.

Distances and times between locations in the area can be found using Google Earth - pick two points and ask for driving directions.

Cheers
b
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

direct2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info. Would it be fairly easy to rent out a 3b/r apartment, or do people prefer renting out houses?

Thinking of buying an apartment before I move out to Perth, and rent it out until I arraive.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think there are better areas in Perth to buy an apartment to rent out rather than Joondalup - it's really too far north of the city for your target market I would have thought. The Northern Suburbs are house territory rather than apartments.

If they are being promoted heavily then one can presume they are not selling as easily as the developer would wish. If your target market is single/couples/rich students then you would be better looking somewhere within easy travel of the CBD and/or the major universities.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You will easily rent out an apartment in Joondalup, you have so many options for tenants such as students, nurses, police, etc.

Most Joondalup apartments are in the main centre, which is surrounded by a Hospital, Police Academy, 2 Universities (ECU and Curtin) and a TAFE (college). There are also plenty of business and government bodies in the area.

It’s also only 25 min on the train line to the Perth CBD.
As for the area itself, it’s nice and clean, convenient and has a large shopping centre, which they have just made bigger; town centre has shops, bars, clubs and pubs. My family live in the Suburb part and don’t have any problems; they’ve lived there for years.

Joondalup website - http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au

Good luck.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jul 17th 2008 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Would it be fairly easy to rent out a 3b/r apartment, or do people prefer renting out houses?

Thinking of buying an apartment before I move out to Perth, and rent it out until I arraive.
A 3 bedroom apartment will be easy to rent out if it's furnished. New immigrants, police, nurses are more likely to want something furnished and short-term ( 3 months plus).

People wanting to rent for longer are more likely to go for an unfurnished house.

That's just my subjective view. I'd suggest you have a look on www.realestate.com.au for apartments in Joondalup. Then contact the estate agents that rent those out and ask whether a furnished or unfurnished 3 bedroom apartment will rent more easily. Then go from there.

To give you an idea: here is a link to the apartment we rented when we first arrived: http://www.brookwoodapartments.com.au/res/

Joondalup is very much apartment territory (like Mikeyc said). Our apartment was very nice. Renting in the centre of Joondalup also means people can walk to the train station and to the restaurants etc.

As for Hoofie who said it's too far from Perth CBD, I disagree. Trains go every 5-10 minutes (depending on time of day) and even on a six-carriage train you often don't get a seat in the morning - it's that packed with commuters all travelling into Perth (and getting onto the train further north at Currambine or Clarkson).

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Jul 18th 2008 at 12:13 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Soulless, joyless and unimaginative are some of the words that spring to mind when I think of Joondalup.

However many people seem to like it...!!??
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by leftfield
Soulless, joyless and unimaginative are some of the words that spring to mind when I think of Joondalup.

It's a City Centre apparentley.

Very empty City Centre it is, but is OK for Lakeside. It will grow and get better given time.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
It's a City Centre apparentley.

Very empty City Centre

So is The City Of Wanneroo apparently
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leftfield

Words which describe 90% of Perth's suburbs.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Words which describe 90% of Perth's suburbs.
What exactly do you want of Perth and its suburbs? You only get out what you put in, the same as everywhere else. The only place's that are soulless,joyless and unimaginative are the people who make it so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.