Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

John Masons - AVOID THEM!!

John Masons - AVOID THEM!!

Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Masons - AVOID THEM!!

Originally Posted by kitty4
I replied a little while back on a previous 'don't use John Masons' thread that we had an ok service apart from the packers packing trivial tiny items, like 6 napkin rings alone in a full size tea chest and packing our stack of hundreds of egg cartons that we needed for our chooks eggs, despite being told to keep away from the area we kept them in. Wridgways were ok this end (sunshine coast).

However - now we have been unpacking I'm speechless. Fragile and expensive ornaments were packed with one piece of paper around them and put in a big cardboard box along with whatever else - like tools - all tossed in, no special packing. I'd say fish and chips get better packing (it looks like the same paper they use) Needless to say that are nearly all our ornaments broken.

Please take note to unpack boxes with valuable/fragile items as soon as they arive. We didn't becasue we were in a small rental at the time and now it's too late to claim on the insurance Our big welsh dresser is smashed on one end of the top.

Ok, we could have stood over the 2 guys from Liverpool (seems to be a trend cropping up with those two), but the job really needed another guy, they worked like whirlwinds and with everything else one has to do in the process, we could not watch their every move. They were told what to pack/not to and what was very fragile (if it isn't obvious). They were quite offhand when each of the 2 days they were there were coming to an end. Then the container arrived and the rep bloke said to us it could get down our single lane road (despite my anxiously asking are you sure?). Driver wasn't having any of it, so the 2 Liverpool guys had to ferry it in loads in their van, to the container on the main road, where a nice audience was gathering! This made them extra grumpy.

I was unpacking the broken china etc the other day and unwrapped a package with several rusty screws in it!! There were more like that!

We had to leave a load of stuff behind becasue they said we were full (now we know why - a big box for a few tiny unbreakable objects and the expensive fragile things are thrwon in with tools). There are quite a few things we haven't come across yet - but I can't say they have been light fingered until I throw the last bit of paper packaging away.

Still haven't unpacked the eggboxes - may as well wait till we move to acreage and get some chooks!!

I would never use Masons again and if anyone makes a decision based on this and other posts on here about them recently, not to use them, I hope you get a more professional company as these guys (Masons) really don't seem to care about your belongings and the packers have no commonsense whatsoever.

Thanks for listening.

I would agree with this, many of our boxes when opened had no packing paper in them at all - the guy from Wridgways even asked me if we had packed them ourselves and that the quality of the packing was disgraceful. Then to add insult to injury the packers had packed an old blanket that they use for covering the stuff in the van along with a whole pack of packing paper in its own separate box and shipped that to us. we lost a lot of gear through damages and upset as I was about it, John Masons showed no interest or concern as our insurance wasn't booked through them. To be honest I couldnt give a sh*t about the insurance money, would have been nice to get some kind of apology or explanation about why our possessions had been treated with so little care.
Julia
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
I would agree with this, many of our boxes when opened had no packing paper in them at all - the guy from Wridgways even asked me if we had packed them ourselves and that the quality of the packing was disgraceful. Then to add insult to injury the packers had packed an old blanket that they use for covering the stuff in the van along with a whole pack of packing paper in its own separate box and shipped that to us. we lost a lot of gear through damages and upset as I was about it, John Masons showed no interest or concern as our insurance wasn't booked through them. To be honest I couldnt give a sh*t about the insurance money, would have been nice to get some kind of apology or explanation about why our possessions had been treated with so little care.
Julia
Well I used EVL. (European Van Lines)Never again. They told me prior to payment that Customs in Oz would take 7-10 days. They collected my stuff on 24th October. I gave instructions that it was imperative that it be delivered in Brisbane for the middle of january TO MY HOUSE (taking into account ship delays by a couple of days plus customs time. I arranged to start my job and for my daughter to start school on 29th january. I left the UK on the 25th October and at least had family to stay with in NSW. I have been living out of ONE suitcase since then.Well my furniture has only just been cleared by customs and will be delivered wednesday 20th february. I had rented a house and paid 3 weeks rent, have paid a fortune in motel fees and my daughter is upset ablout starting school after everyone else. I had to tell my employers i couldnt start work til later.
I e-mailed at least 10 times and was told by one employee who must think I'm an idiot, that she had informed the removal company this end that they should tell Customs to give me priority. I then telephoned this company and she yold me that they had NOt said that at all!!
They have yet to reply to my last e-mail a week ago. What do they care, they have my money. I intend to write a very strongly worded letter of complaint. Because of their misinformation, I am around $4000 out of pocket!!
Absolutely disgusting.
Lou
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

What a nightmare. I can't believe how they have treated you and your stuff.

I shall remember not to use them when the time comes.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wafc
Well we've been in Perth for nearly 2 months now so I thought it was time that I gave my thoughts on our experiences with the shipping company John Masons.

First of all we got a few quotes in from the likes of PSS, John Masons etc but decided to go with Masons as they appeared to be more organised and gave us more information.

The day came for our first day of packing to be done by their guys, 2 blokes from liverpool turned up and promptly started to pack all of our worldly belongings, they appeared to be very quick and very efficient, so far so good we thought. They managed to pack about 80% of our stuff on the first day and were then going to come back on the morning of the 2nd day and finish the job before the container arrived.

The 2nd day came and the packers arrived in the morning and finished packing our stuff, the container was due to arrive on our drive by about 12pm ish so we and the packers waited for the container, in the meantime we provided cups of tea and coffee and even some breakfast for them. By about 1pm the container still hadn't arrived, the guys said that it was often late so we sat there some more, by about 2pm the container still hadn't arrived so the guys contacted their office and lo and behold John Masons had not booked the container for that day!! So we now had a house full of boxes packed, the new owners of our house were due to move in the following morning!! and we had our flights booked for a few days later. As if the process wasn't stressful enough, we now had to deal with this!

We rang the people at John Masons to demand what was going on and find out what would be happening with our stuff, they were very unhelpful to speak to, they would not agree to getting the container to our drive the following day as they said that their staff were already booked on other jobs and they had nobody who could sort it for us!! We told them in no uncertain terms that it isn't our problem about their staffing issues, they had cocked up our shipping good and proper and their staff should resolve our issue before moving on to another one!! Needless to say this was getting very stressful and heated at this point! It all seemed to fall on deaf ears though and they would not budge, all they could offer was to fill their van with our belongings (which would take 2 trips) and take our stuff back to their depot to be kept there overnight and they would pack it into a container the following day! We told them that we had paid for a door to door service and that one of the conditions was that the container was to be packed and sealed in our presence, again this fell on deaf ears and they still said that they would have to take our stuff to their depot but we could travel to liverpool for 8am the following morning to witness the container being sealed etc!! How kind of them!! Not. We were totally stressed out at this point so we told them to take the stuff and we wouldn't be driving to Liverpool in the morning, we demanded to speak to someone in charge but after not receiving calls back we eventually had to ring and demand that one of their people came out of a so called meeting to speak to us. We demanded some form of compensation for all of this as we weren't getting the door to door service which we'd paid for, they eventually offered us £100!! That was more of an insult than compensation! So off the stuff went and I dont think the packing guys were too chuffed with having to make 2 trips to Liverpool and back with all of our stuff especially with it getting late. We even gave their packing guys a tip!

We got to Perth on 17th Dec and our stuff was delivered to us about a week to 2 weeks ago. John Masons use a firm called Kents in Perth to deliver your stuff to you. Three aussie guys turned up with a container on our drive and started to bring the stuff in, they gave us a copy of the inventory to tick off every box as it came in. We found that quite a few things were damaged/broken for example: The fridge freezer is dented and scratched, a large mirror was smashed, a large vase/pot was totally smashed, a bowl was smashed, a double fold out bed had its headboard totally broken. We're now in the throws of trying to claim some of it back from the insurers (Letton Percival).

We are now finding out though that a few things appear to be "missing" or as I like to call it "stolen"! My girlfriend had a brand new box of expensive perfume with two bottles in which her mother gave her and the perfume box arrived but it was empty! I then went to open a dvd yesterday only to find that the dvd was missing from the case! I checked all of my dvd's and another one is also missing from its case! Its not a coincidence either that both of the films are animated movies, obviously ssomebodies kids had a good night that night and maybe their wife got a nice bottle of perfume! We dont even know what other things are "missing" yet but you only really tell when you go to use/find them.

I cannot hand on heart say whether it was John Masons staff who have sticky fingers or whether it could be someone from Kents etc but John Masons are the ones who instruct Kents so they are responsible for the problem. The boxes did not look like they had been tampered with either, i.e. it didn't look like someone had taken the tape off them and re-taped them so I can only assume it was done before the boxes were packed!

I'm sure many people have had a good experience with Masons but after what we've been through with them, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and I'd urge anyone else considering them to reconsider their choice!

Hopefully this post may lose Masons quite a bit of business and that will be enough compensation for me! It would be nice if one of their employee's might read this and respond but I wont hold my breath!

It could have been worse no doubt but if I had the choice again, I would not choose Masons.

We have to name and shame these companies in order for them to take note and I shall be putting on another post about a motor company in Perth (Lynfords in Osborne Park) who have been nothing short of shocking in their customer service!

Maybe we've just been unlucky so far, lets hope so!

Good luck to everyone else going through the process.
FFS - An awful experience that, commiserations with that, hope things are ok now in Perth

Dave
Oldham
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Ronan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really nice

can I ask what the deal is with using shipping companies?

Do they have to pack all your stuff, or can you just hand them over your stuff in boxes?

Two reasons for asking, the first is reading everyone's horror stories about stuff getting broken or half inched, and the second reason is that we will be selling out flat and moving in with my folks a good few months before heading across to Oz, so will be looking to put stuff into storage or at least packed away in the loft.

Do they stipulate that their staff have to pack the stuff up? Does it affect insurance if you pack the stuff yourself?

What I want to do is take all our stuff, pack it carefully, wrap it up well and stick it in boxes with those wee polystyrene balls separating everything, but what I am reading is that what will happen is all our gear is going to be wrapped by with some string, slung into the back of a van and booted and chucked across the oceans to Oz.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Ju12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I would add my two pen'th.

We used White& Co in Leeds, who subcontracted to Wridgways in Sydney. Minor niggles with both, but overall our stuff got here pretty much when we expected, and NOTHING broken. We didn't ship a whole house, but about 30 boxes in a shared container, a few big bits of furniture but mostly personal stuff.

What I have learnt:-

I got 2 quotes, depending on whether we were taking our furniture or not. We decided not to take the big items so went with the lower quote. We actually did most of our packing ourselves as we were chucking out / selling so much stuff in the weeks leading up to the move so half the boxes were packed ourselves.

The packers were not in the least interested in getting as much as possible into the boxes to minimise space - agree with the poster who found a couple of tiny unbreakables in one big box. I supervised and made them repack! neither were they bothered about keeping all wooden / wicker items that quarantine might be interested in together, to minimise those costs. Again I put them straight! Don't know if that made a difference but our quarantine fee was only $165 - much less than I thought.

In the end we had room to fit in all the furniture into the shipment still on hte lower quote!

BUT make sure you follow up at every stage. We thought that telling them on the phone, telling the packers and signing the delivery form would be enough for them to realise we wanted our stuff shipping to Australia but no, a few weeks here i finally received a letter (to my work address which was the only one i had given them here) asking did we want our stuff shipped or stored in Leeds!! Ridiculous!! And they hadn't bothered to phone my mobile or email me, both of which were working.

Similar thing from Wridgways. Received notification from Whites that they were dealing, date of ship arrival etc, and told to wait for them to get in touch.

A week or so after our ship was due in, still nothing so I phoned them. They alleged they had written a few weeks earlier (again phone number or email were both with them and they hadn't bothered to follow up) and as we were "late" giving them directions they would be charging us a storage fee! This is despite the fact that the stuff hadn't even gone through customs yet. Managed to negotiate out of that and they actually delivered pretty quickly.

Again did all our own unpacking as I had to get back to work.

Mind out for the extra fee for delivering to an upstairs unit (hello, that is most of Sydney) which White & Co expressly said would not be charged.

Not exacly happy for the amount of money we spent but hey we got all our stuff.

Ju
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they have to pack all your stuff, or can you just hand them over your stuff in boxes?
Yes, you can hand them boxes - though when we did that the guys at Doree Bonner took a look at what we had in storage, and re-packed it all, since they didn't think it would have got any further than the port without things broken. (and we thought we'd packed well.)

(Of course, our stuff hasn't left the UK yet, so we don't know if their packing is any better.)

Do they stipulate that their staff have to pack the stuff up? Does it affect insurance if you pack the stuff yourself?
Yes - any boxes you fill yourself will be marked as owner packed - and not insured. Might be different if you get insurance yourself - that's one for the pack-it-yourself crowd to answer.

What I want to do is take all our stuff, pack it carefully, wrap it up well and stick it in boxes with those wee polystyrene balls separating everything, but what I am reading is that what will happen is all our gear is going to be wrapped by with some string, slung into the back of a van and booted and chucked across the oceans to Oz.
Yeap, that seems to be about it. Just that some company's string is stronger than others, and some have bigger boots

Dave x
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very similar experience with John Masons - would not recommend them at all unless you are able to have someone supervising each packer. We had a whole record collection stolen.

With all these customers complaining to them about about missing/stolen items, you think they'd possibly look into it but they weren't even bothered when I told them.

On the other hand Letton Percival were fab but I wouldn't be suprised if they stopped insuring John Masons shipments at this rate.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First off we had fantastic service from both John Masons in the UK and Wridgways here - everything was in perfect nick, we got our stuff earlier than expected and were very happy.

Secondly and more importantly. All these International shippers ship mountains of containers all over the world every day of the year. There will always be bad experiences as well as good. One or two bad experiences shouldn't put other people off using a company in just the same way someone shouldn't assume they will get great service because a few people have had a great experience.

There is no way on this earth, that every container will be packed, shipped and unloaded perfectly because there are too many outside influences and other considerations.

I managed to break more stuff bringing it in my suitcase than JM did in our whole container and I am happy to recommend them on that basis. You guys have had bad experiences and so are not happy to recommend. It's horses for courses.

It's no different to taking advice for areas to live in once you get here - why anyone would do that is beyond me but people do. You read people's experiences and then work it out for yourself. You move over and check it all out for yourselves, same with shippers - you get the guys in and decide on gut instinct and price and how they have delivered the initial service.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:13 am
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

We went with them because they seemed to have good reviews and were helpful on the phone.

We were really pleased with them until our stuff arrived, and a lot of it was broken/chipped/scratched because of the ineptitude of the packers.

There was also $500 (US dollars) on our bedroom floor that never arrived, and I tried to convince myself that we threw it away by mistake or something but I doubt it really.

So, to sum up, John Mason - AVOID!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
First off we had fantastic service from both John Masons in the UK and Wridgways here - everything was in perfect nick, we got our stuff earlier than expected and were very happy.

Secondly and more importantly. All these International shippers ship mountains of containers all over the world every day of the year. There will always be bad experiences as well as good. One or two bad experiences shouldn't put other people off using a company in just the same way someone shouldn't assume they will get great service because a few people have had a great experience.

There is no way on this earth, that every container will be packed, shipped and unloaded perfectly because there are too many outside influences and other considerations.

I managed to break more stuff bringing it in my suitcase than JM did in our whole container and I am happy to recommend them on that basis. You guys have had bad experiences and so are not happy to recommend. It's horses for courses.

It's no different to taking advice for areas to live in once you get here - why anyone would do that is beyond me but people do. You read people's experiences and then work it out for yourself. You move over and check it all out for yourselves, same with shippers - you get the guys in and decide on gut instinct and price and how they have delivered the initial service.
Some of what you say I agree with but a lot of it I dont.

If a company is so slap dash to not even get the date correct when the container is to arrive at your door and to then fail to rectify the situation and even argue with us about it, and to then top it off by packing things in a slap dash fashion which causes breakages and it also appears that they have some sticky fingered employees, then I dont really think its horses for courses.

I'm sure that people do have complaints with other companies too but I still believe that after reading this thread people who were choosing to go with John Masons should consider other options first.

If I had read something like this beforehand I wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole! Like I say - Avoid them!

Last edited by wafc; Feb 16th 2007 at 2:39 am.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of what you say I agree with but a lot of it I dont.

If a company is so slap dash to not even get the date correct when the container is to arrive at your door and to then fail to rectify the situation and even argue with us about it, and to then top it off by packing things in a slap dash fashion which causes breakages and it also appears that they have some sticky fingered employees, then I dont really think its horses for courses.

I'm sure that people do have complaints with other companies too but I still believe that after reading this thread people who were choosing to go with John Masons should consider other options first.

If I had read something like this beforehand I wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole! Like I say - Avoid them!
Not wishing to start an argument but what is there in my post that you can disagree with? My experience with JM was different to yours - you can't disagree with that. I accepted that you had bad service - you can't disagree with that.

I suggested everyone read other people's experiences and then make their own minds up with a personal experience of the salespeople of any company - how can you disagree with that?

If you read and accepted every bad shipping story and didn't use the companies mentioned because of someone else's experience you wouldn't ship anything with any shipper - My whole point was that they all mess up at some point - unfortunately this time you pulled the short straw and for that I am sorry but that doesn't make JM total crap, just as my experience of them doesn't make them the best shipper in the world.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not wishing to start an argument but what is there in my post that you can disagree with? My experience with JM was different to yours - you can't disagree with that. I accepted that you had bad service - you can't disagree with that.

I suggested everyone read other people's experiences and then make their own minds up with a personal experience of the salespeople of any company - how can you disagree with that?

If you read and accepted every bad shipping story and didn't use the companies mentioned because of someone else's experience you wouldn't ship anything with any shipper - My whole point was that they all mess up at some point - unfortunately this time you pulled the short straw and for that I am sorry but that doesn't make JM total crap, just as my experience of them doesn't make them the best shipper in the world.
I am just saying that there appears to be quite a number of people on here who have had problems with John Masons and had things go "missing" etc, I therefore do feel that this makes them total crap!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I am just saying that there appears to be quite a number of people on here who have had problems with John Masons and had things go "missing" etc, I therefore do feel that this makes them total crap!
We'll have to agree to disagree. I have read lots of posts praising them so in my books it makes them a normal shipper
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:54 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your expreiences with John Mason. I can totally sympathise with you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.